1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Foods to avoid and eat plenty during breast feeding

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by hymavarun, Feb 26, 2013.

1. hymavarun

hymavarun Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs

I delivered my baby a week back.and i am all alone taking care of her.i am heraring lot of things like avoid curd,avoid dals,eat atleast 2 pods of garlic,dont eat grapes, no cauliflower,no cabbage so on....

Please help me in following good diet and avoid gassy problems for my baby.

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi

Congrats and dont worry.. I hope you must be drinking omam water this will help you a lot to avoid gas and strengthen uterus. In the dal you should avoid chana dal you can use tur dal freely.. Eat green vegetables at least once a day. Don't use gas forming vegetables... some people avoid beans, cauliflower, jack fruit.. any vegetables you feel which can cause gas trouble avoid that too. Like you shouldn't use chana dal (kadal) so you cant use besan too kadal maavu which is used to make bhajji.. Yoghurt you can avoid just for a month but have sufficient milk.. use a lot of cumin in your food. Try to drink warm water. You shouldn't eat oranges for a month. You can eat apple, pears, blueberries. You have to avoid fruits which causes cold or worsens cold like water melon, oranges, green grapes.. rest other you can eat moderately.. apple is the best fruit for you now. There are many threads Chitvish mam has given some lehiyam and rasam for nursing other's.

tc

3. vmtaurus

vmtaurus Bronze IL'ite

Here are some of tips I followed (and still follow, to some extent) for BF:

- Methi seeds soaked overnight, and left to sprout. Once sprouted, boil and add a little tadka, salt and jaggery (to balance the bitterness). Have a small cupfull everyday. I still have it!
    - Lauki (sorakaya), sooji, wheat (chapathi, bread), dill, oats are all milk supply boosting. Have any one of them everyday in some form.
    - You can take shatavari, either in powdered or capsule form. Follow instructions on the bottle. I still have this too!
    - Garlic - yes, infact you can make a chutney and have a little everyday, if you don't like adding it in your food.
    - I too avoided curd for the first few weeks. But had a LOT of milk!
    - Dals is best to avoid for a few weeks and gradually start again first with moong, toor, and then after a few months - chana dal etc.
    - Drink at least 3-4 litres of water a day. Sounds like a lot, but you need it to keep supply up!

These are some tips that helped me. Hope you find them helpful. Will add more when I remember them!

4. LunaDoveDesigns

LunaDoveDesigns Silver IL'ite

I was told by my midwife and lactation consultants to avoid cabbage (can inhibit milk production) and to eat oatmeal (increases milk production), and beyond that to eat whatever I wanted, as long as it was healthy. They did caution me to keep track of what I was eating if I saw any problems in my baby, like gassiness or excessive crankiness. Luckily, my daughter had no sensitivities or issues and I was able to eat pretty much everything!

A good resource for information on breastfeeding, including foods that help/hinder milk production or may cause trouble for Baby, is www.kellymom.com. Also, LLLI | Home (La Leche League International website).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. shantana

shantana Platinum IL'ite

congrats on your newborn.
    • i agree with lunadovedesign. by visiting the above given websites provides you lots informations on breastfeeding and increasing breast milk. you will need drink alots of water and take fenugreek. they have fenugreek tablets as well. or you can boil fenugreek and drink the water with the seed. include garlic in your food or dry fry the garlics and eat as a snack. i heard garlic makes the milk tasty and reduce gas for the mother and newborn. not sure if u can get avaraka (tamil word) at your place. its good to increase breastmilk. and oats works best also.
    • by frequently breastfeeding your baby and can increase its supply as well. generally newborn will nurse every 1 to 2 hours, they tend to get hungry faster because breastmilk is watery can be digested fast. Offer both breasts as this will increase milk production on both. dont ever supply with formula if you want to breast feed (BF) exclusively because formula will make your baby full and will reduce nursing directly and this will lead to decrease in milk production. you will get familar with phrase supply by demand on the breastfeeding website, the more you baby demands the more milk you can produce. and if u feel that the baby is sleepyhead and doesnt nurse long enough you may want to pump ur breast milk (BM) and bottle feed your expressed BM to your little one.

6. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I have heard and experienced that eating drumsticks or its leaves(cooked) is good.And yes about the grapes i had heard it was something to be avoided

Sadana89 likes this.
  7. Tiredmommy

Tiredmommy New IL'ite

Hi Congratulations!! I am no expert but i will share my experience. * Cauliflower,green peas,capsicum,potatoes,chick peas, rajma, chana daal, urad daal, oily nd fried items should be avoided. * Fenugreek nd garlic are a must! you can have both leafy one and the seeds too..two fenugreek recipes i loved are a.heat oil in a pan, add crushed garlic and fry till brown,add fenugreek leaves(do not chop or d preparation becomes bitter),add water nd salt..if u must add a small piece of green chilli but chillies too are best avoided..tastea best wit bhakari or also wit roti. b. Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and get them to sprout.heat oil in a pan..add chopped onion nd fry till brown, then add the seeds and fry 4 a minute, add soaked rice, salt,chilli powder, coconut milk nd water nd pressure cook..garnish wit corriander nd freshly grated coconut. * i also had and loved aaliv/halim/watercress seed ladoos made with coconut nd jaggery.you can also have aaliv kheer/porridge. * make sure that u drink plenty of water, juices..its best to hav some liquid prepartion wit ur lunch,dinner like daal, kheer or soup. *also shatavari kalpa is a must for good milk supply. * sometimes wheat and dairy products also cause some problems. * make sure that you do not eat stale food at all..at all times its better to have food immediately after it is prepared. * have small helpings a no.of times rather than having just 2 or 3 full heavy meals. * i dont eat non-veg but if you do go easy on that as it is difficult to digest. * my mil prepared a powder out of a numerous items like fennel seeds,ova,balant shepa, sendha namak, black salt etc which acts as a great digestive aid (sorry i dont know all the ingredients and their names, will ask my mil and get back to you) * Limit ur caffeine/tannin intake Goodluck!

8. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

eat lots of garlic, it's good for you

9. Tashsin

Tashsin Gold IL'ite

Congrats..
    I am not gonna give you a long list but few tips with my experience
    1- Avoid cold food or drink..don't take curd for a month
    2- try to drink fennel boil water....
    3- eats lotz of vegetable and drink fresh fruit juice + 2-3 glass of milk...
    4- don't feed baby after drinking something hot...after 40-50 minutes you can feed..
    5- don't use kajal for baby.....

10. Harithag

Harithag Gold IL'ite

Congrats.

I think better to avoid coffee.I have experienced that DD will be active when i had coffee.Drink Milk.Have lots of leafy veggies.You may feel hungry often.Go for healthy snacking like fruits,almonds.

Nothing to worry,its motherhood that teaches you everything.

Take care.