1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Adopted parents dilemma

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by Viswamitra, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Sri Ojaantrik,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have written to VJBunny, moderator of this section in IL and hopefully she would be able to fix it. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

Viswa

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sir
    I have fixed it... Thank you for notifying me

3. Viswamitra

Dear VJ,

Thank you. There are a few more in sticky threads that have the same issues. Unfortunately, I noticed it after I sent a note to you. Can you kindly help fixing all of them? Thank you.

Viswa

4. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

ok sir will do If you notice such thread you can always report those threads by clicking on report icon which you can find in the lower left corner of the post frame with exclamatory symbol in a triangle....

5. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

Do you think that Nobody will tell the kid that he is adopted?
    I dont know about other countries,in India there will be atleast 10 people waiting
    (relatives/ neighbours))for him to grow up and blast the bomb-(that he's adopted).
    It is better to fill the young mind that you are adopted-and you are god's gift for us,than to get the news from others later and hate the poor parents .

6. lifeisgreat

lifeisgreat New IL'ite

very good thread!!...

7. Viswamitra

Dear Lifeisgreat,

Thank you for your kind comment. I look forward to your comments on other posts as well. Thank you.

Viswa

8. Namrata88

Namrata88 New IL'ite

Is there any need to tell child that he or she is adopted?? Its better not to tell them about it.

9. Viswamitra

Dear Namrata,

Psychologists always suggest that there is need to tell the child as early as possible. But it is my opinion that the timing is irrelevant but definitely the adoptive parents need to tell the child about the adoption. It is a question of making the child aware of the adoption when he or she is capable of handling and understanding it. I have not doubts in my mind that the parents need to tell the child but about the question of when should be decided by the parents.

Let us assume that the adoptive parents decide not to tell the child about adoption. Later, he or she comes to know through other sources, what do you think would be the reaction of the child? The confidence he or she built in parents will collapse dramatically. Can we get them married without telling about the adoption to the prospective bride or groom? In my opinion, not telling the child is not an option. I might be wrong and I am willing to listen other points of view, if you can explain to me why you feel strong about not telling the child.

Isn't it easier to tell the truth and handle the emotional impact for a few days, weeks or months rather than hiding it completely from the child? Can we really manage that information to remain confidential for the entire life?

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Vishwa
    You are right ,the child should know the truth.Its the parents way of showing them that they will be loved unconditionally no matter what comes.
    Some parents hide it from the adopted child so as later the child doesnt go looking for biological parents.Well thats just one of the reasons mostly its not told because parents dont want to hurt their child.The revelation might hit the child like a ton of bricks.
    More than when, how it is told to the child is also very important.
    Its important to tell them that they were given up not because they weren't wanted but becasue they were loved so much that their natural parents wanted them to have a better life than what they could have given them. And let them know that they are special because they were chosen.
    Otherwise they might end up hating themselves thinking they were given up because their biological parents didnt want them in their lives.

1 person likes this.