1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One good deed a day

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vidyacvn, Feb 18, 2013.

1. vidyacvn

vidyacvn Silver IL'ite

Dear friends,
    Today, when my memories about my school days were evoked after I found an old photo album, I sat thinking about my friends, classes, teachers etc for a long time. I remembered one valuable thing that I was taught when I was in school. We had this activity for a long time. We had to compulsorily do a good deed a day and record it in our notebook everyday. We had to come and tell the others what good deed we did the previous day. This is a wonderful thing for all of us to follow I think. These days, we are so busy with ourselves that we hardly think of these things. It will be nice if all of us can start with at lease one good deed per day. It could be a small favour done to some one also. It need not necessarily be a great favour. It could even be a smile that cheered up someone gloomy. Let us record our good deed for the day in this thread so that the others too get enthusiastic about following this. Let us make the world a better place. Here is my good deed for the day. I fed a dog that was looking horribly thin and weak. Planning to feed it everyday too.

2 people like this.

2. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Your thread is so good and i would like to share mine too...nothing much but....

Today my friend called me and told me her family issues and also asked me to pray for her. I wished and prayed for her well being today.

C u tomorrow :)

2 people like this.
  3. getstrngth

getstrngth Gold IL'ite

Very nice activity. I will also follow this!!! Your school has taught you good things. will definitely tell my niece and nephew(school going) to also follow the same.

1 person likes this.
  4. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Very nice thread. Today I thanked one of my friend who gifted me a bluetooth. I really thanked him for the gift.

1 person likes this.
  5. vidyacvn

vidyacvn Silver IL'ite

Today, I smiled and spoke patiently to my maid when I actually felt like screaming at her!!!!!!!

6. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear vidya
    When I was in School, I was a Boy Scout. We had our sessions in the weekends and it was a custom that we should report all the good deeds done by us since the previous session. The boys used to tell things like they removed a nail from the road or stamped out a burning cigarette butt etc. Our Master would scold the boys for not doing loftier things! Then an idea struck me. I told the boys that I would give them solid ideas for a prescribed fee and the fee was fixed at one anna (roughly six paise). One anna could buy a lot of things those days, mind you! The plan worked out like a dream and that was the beginning of my Consultancy Business in which I revelled in my later years!

If you are curious about the ideas that I gave, here are some that I recollect now:
    I saved a child crossing the road from being run over by a tram.
    I rushed to the terrace to retrieve the cloths hung there for drying from getting drenched in the sudden rain for a ninety year old lady.
    I restored a child to its parents when they lost him in a temple festival.
    If I recollect more, I'll most certainly share them with you!
    Sri

4 people like this.
  7. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

Sir,i couldnt help saying what an idea sirji!:)

1 person likes this.
  8. vidyacvn

vidyacvn Silver IL'ite

that is funny. but as adults, I think it will be really a good idea to make it a point to be nice at least once during the day. So what if the things you do are small, they are still good. It is definitely not true that only lofty deeds are good. A smile when someone is depressed could go a long way in cheering them up. And, it is shocking to actually note that when you really think about it sometimes, it is impossible for us to recollect any good deed done during the day. So, jokes apart, I think it is important to do something nice everyday.
    My husband is an animal activist and we have a number of maimed, injured, abandoned animals at home. We take care of them. I do reading and recording of notes for the blind, write exams for them, and help to sell products made by blind women from the National Association for the Blind. So, we both are becoming increasingly aware of the goodness that happens to both others and us because of the good things that we do. I really dont think it helps to lie about good deeds. I wanted to start a thread that will spread cheer by encouraging good deeds instead of another thread that talks about the usual mil dil prob, etc etc. So, i think we should let the thread serve its purpose. Thanks.

1 person likes this.