1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

PCOS in teens - Cure

Discussion in 'Gynaecology' started by revathysiva, Jan 4, 2013.

1. geeta79

geeta79 Bronze IL'ite

Dear vatsinaname and revathysiva,

Dont stress urself out over this. i know being a mother we are much more concerned about our daughters. ( i have a 3 yr old daughter too). I too had the same condition of PCOS. I even have a fibroid in my uterus. I am 5'1" and weighed 60 kgs. I had irregular period right from the start till after i gave birth to my daughter. I have heard that PCOS and irregular periods (in some cases) gets cured after having kids. When we were trying for a baby i visited many docs, since i did not have regular periods and a fibroid. The only thing they told me was to keep my weight in check (not even a slightest increase ) and keep trying. Today i have regular periods that i never ever had before. ON TIME EVERY TIME.

I just pray for both of your daughters. Just be patient and accept them as they are. As shanvy said, it really is not a disease. It may get cured after they have kids, but do keep up with exercise, yoga, diet and do keep their weight in check.

Best of luck.

1 person likes this.
  2. gaivij

gaivij Bronze IL'ite

hello vatsinaname and revathysiva,
    One of my relatives had irregular periods and was trying for kids. With someone's suggestion she started doing yoga specifically for regular periods for atleast half an hour in the morning. Then she started getting regular cycle. She has baby boy now. This may not be the permanent solution but that will improve in unnecessary weight loss and keeps us healthy and active.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. Vatsinaname

Vatsinaname Bronze IL'ite

Thanks a ton, girls.
    Can't tell you what relief I get when I hear these cases. I too hope that this becomes alright after mrrg and kid. Will do whatever possible to keep their weights in check. The problem is that these girls don't like yoga. So, I enrolled my younger one for aerobics.
    Will convince them for yoga somehow. Maybe I can show your messages.
    Thanks once again. And big hugs to you all. Thanks mimur too. Will schedule my time and get into yoga with them!

4. Nakshatraa

Nakshatraa Silver IL'ite

Hi vatsiname,

my hugs to u.... please calm down, i understand ur concern very well, as myself sufferred with this terrible thing badly, went through infertility for some time & now with a 3+ yr old daughter.
    I strongly suggest u to put ur daughters in a gud yoga class, let the teacher know of their condition too....
    This is the only permanent solution for PCOD condition. Medicine will not help in the long run, my personal experience. definetly u can discuss with them the effects of PCO. u need to cut down on their junk food, also, they should not consume them without ur knowledge , when they go out with friends. Reduce their sugar intake, which will greatly help them to regain their health.
    I assure u that u can bring back their cycle to normallacy , when u follow all these.
    Please target to get them to normal cycles, before they get married & start their own family.....

regards,

2 people like this.
  5. Vatsinaname

Vatsinaname Bronze IL'ite

A big hug right back, Nakshatra! I am so genuinely happy to read about your little angel. May God bless you guys!
    Yeah, I understand when you say that medicine won't help for a permanent cure, only lifestyle change will! After she got detected with PCOD, the medicines helped for 1 1/2 yrs. now, again since past 75 days the cycle is missing. I feel stressed out. I think I am the one in need of yoga and pranayama! But will do something for sure.
    Thanks a lot for the caring words :)

6. aarushreya

aarushreya Gold IL'ite

Kapaalbharti pranayaam for PCOS and lots more!

Hi mam,

How are you? I was going through your post and the replies from other members. Actually I am also suffering from the same problem since long. I have also gone through a number of treatments that are under Allopathy, Ayurveda and Homeopathy.

Now this problem is usually seen in teenagers who lead a stressful life. PCOS happens either due to stress n weight gain or sometimes it happens and then the patient put on weight.

In treatment the most important of all is doing Kapaalbharti pranayaam everyday accompanied by other pranayaam excercises plus yoga for tummy reduction. A 45 mins walk morning evening is a must. 10-15 glasses of water should be drank everyday.

Ask your daughter not to stress herself. Woman body is fragile and the kind of environment we face today is hard on us. In the race ask her not to forget herself. Do meditation regularly. Add a lot of fibre in your diet like fruits, green leaf vegetables, soups, salads, almonds, walnuts, sprouts. Multigrain atta roti s also important. sometimes lack of vitamins and minerals in our body lead to ailments.

Weight reduction is must. The moment your weight will be under control, half of your problems will be solved. periods do not become regular before undergoing the treatment for atleast one year or so. also you will have to reduce until it gets balanced. Doctors have asked me to do the same. You can also ask for metabolism improving medicines in natural treatment. This will also help you along with walking and diet control in weight reduction.

One more important thing. Get your hormonal check up and thyroid check up positively in case if it has not been done. Irregular periods is also a symptom of hypothyroid. Get the thyroid check up from a genuine diagnostic center only like INMAS or Lal labs.

Above all keep a positive attitude. sometimes due to lot of weight gain, girls think about looks a lot and develop depressions n stress. Always remember, you are beautiful and you now have to become the best :).

Do reply back mam in case your daughter gets benefited from my advice. Ask her not to miss kapaal bharti pranayaam and water drinking.

1 person likes this.
  7. hivid

hivid Silver IL'ite

Even I have heard that homeopathy works and I am trying it myself. Fingers crossed *

8. prasar

prasar New IL'ite

hi,
    My elder daughter is 12yrs,she too has PCOS.she is in boarding school.Her schedule is very hectic and physical activity is also very good.Her day starts with jogging .She is into atheletics too.She has reduced from 75 to 70 kgs.but still her periods are irregular.

9. keers1227

keers1227 Senior IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

My name is Keerthi and I am from Melbourne, Australia. It is very interesting to go through this post the reason being I myself have been challenging PCOS since I was 15. I attained puberty at a young age after which I never got a period for almost a year. Unfortunately, my family members never felt it was strange as I was too young and thought it would become normal. But, it just got worse. By the time I was 15-16, my Aunt noticed what was happening and advised my mom to show me to a gynaecologist. I was then put on some tonics but, over the time nothing worked. No ultrasound was performed probably, 'cos they simply thought I was young.

But, as I grew everything juss got worse. I pretty much was put on homeopathic, ayurvedic medicines. I noticed changes in my moods, weight, food habits etc. I would simply not have any period or just have one in a few months which wouldn't even last for three days.

I had my first ultrasound performed when I was 21 years old when they found out cycts in my ovaries. My reports obviously showed hormonal imbalances. I was diagnosed with Amenorrhea (absence of period) and around 30 small cycts in each of my ovaries. I have since then been put on Oral Contraceptives Pills.

Woman diagnosed with PCOS, tend to have higher insulin levels due to which they gain excess weight which is more in their mid section (waist). Yes, in order to control your insulin levels is why exercise, diet and healthy lifestyle are important. Most times, a gynaecologist could prescribe a patient with both Oral Contraceptive Pills and Metformin (a drug used to control insulin levels).

As PCOS patients have excess male hormones and if left unattended, they can also encounter side effects like excessive facial hair or body hair (hirsutism), obesity, hair loss and acne. Oral contraceptives will ensure there is hormonal withdrawal bleed and a hormonal replacement therapy is achieved by not just reducing the symptoms but also putting periods back to a 28-30 day cycle.

I have been since, put on many oral contraceptives. Unfortunately, I had to keep changing OCP's often due to the side effects I was having. Usually, the gyno puts the patient on an OCP for a few months to a year and then takes them off the pill to observe their cycle. If there is no improvement they put them back on the contraceptive. I am currently using a pill called Yasmin and also get Acupuncture (to balance my energies and ovulate). Though I know it is not impossible to get pregnant, it just gets frustrating when you don't get your period.

I can understand all your concerns here as I can relate it so much to how my mother felt and is still feeling. I appreciate everyone going through holistic medications however, a treatment will work even faster if you couple that with western techniques (though diagnosis on everyone is different). I will be very happy to share my medical history and all treatments I have gone through over the years if any one would like to get more information :)

Thanks for reading this lenghty post.

In health,

Keerthi x

2 people like this.
  10. plakshmi

plakshmi Gold IL'ite