1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In a very desperate state

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by rinapt, Feb 14, 2013.

1. cantresistusa

cantresistusa Senior IL'ite

If you dont like what you are doing, high chances that you may not successful after higher studies.
    firstly, try to develop skills what you like and what you dont like. have you successful managing house, child and family with calmness. at this age 25 to 28, people wanted to do more and more, but when the situation comes, they become very lazy and repent for life like why did i study with hefty loans.
    please find yourself things what you makes you happy..studies doesnt make you happy and dont bring you good job. it is your skill that matters.

2. rinapt

rinapt New IL'ite

Ok.. I dont think I explained myself clearly. I am an engineer. My engineering aggregate is around 79%. My first 2 years grade was higher and after it dropped when I got married. I have been trying to keep my skills updated. I know people who padded their resumes and got a job, I am not comfortable doing that. Desi consultants are money minters - I dont want to deals with such people who want money even before giving a job.

My state of desperation came from 2 recent events. I have been applying at companies so much. I got a phone interview call from United Technologies. I begged my husband to take care of the child and the child was sick. He said as the child is sick, the child would be sleeping and I can attend the phone interview. I agreed. But just exactly during the phone, my child woke up and kept disturbing me through the entire interview. My disposition during the phone interview looked very unprofessional and I couldn't clear that round.

Second instance happened when I got an interview call from SAP. SAP is a very good company. Similar battle at home. Then drive 2 hours and absolutely no time to prepare for the interview. Result I cleared the first 2 rounds and didnt clear the final round.

These rejections have torn me down. I really wanted to get into SAP as I liked the company very much. I am not able to handle these rejections. I feel I am fighting a losing battle. Had these rejections come by when I just finished engineering, I could have handled it. Earlier when I failed, I could pick myself up. Now when I am failing, I am simply feeling beaten down, defeated and am not able to pick myself up. Am I being unfair to my husband and child by running behind a career.

3. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

Have good conversation with your husband first. Ask him what he wants? Is he the person who likes his wife as a housewife? Try to convience him that you want to start ur career. Try to know what is going on his mind? I think may be its ur MIL's influence on him thats why he is not supporting you. How old is ur kid?

1 person likes this.
  4. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

You MUST get a babysitter for interview times. You cant do the same mistake twice. How old is your child? If your husband is not ok with a babysitter for interviews , how will he be okay with day care when u go to work?

2 people like this.
  5. rinapt

rinapt New IL'ite

My child is in KG. So the school is for 3 hours in the morning. My husband sends $2000 every month for his parents. Our monthly expenses come around $2000. So we have very little savings for a good daycare. A good day care charges around $1000 per month. I had earlier asked him to cut back on how much he gives his parents. He went and told his parents and they were really angry on me. Has everything become so expensive in India? Do 2 retired people need $2000 pm to live a decent life in India. When I lived in India 3 years ago it was not so expensive. I could manage all household expenses within 20000 rupees per month.

Everytime I try to get an hourly babysitter, my husband will do a thorough background check and comes up with something unusual/undesirable about the baby sitter. I asked my MIL to come over here and take care of the child. She got angry and told that I have no regard for her age and ailments. Are they all subtly playing games with me or am I reading too much. I don't know what is happening but am feeling very very depressed. I dont know where things are going wrong.

When I speak to my parents. They advise me as though I live only to keep my husband and parents in laws happy. They will ask me what would I achieve by working and keeping people at home unhappy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  6. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,

I can see your issue and I think you are not looking at things correctly because you are depressed.

1. First try to set up the phone interviews when your child is in school. If the child happens to be home because of sickness, call and reschedule the interview.
    2. Not clearing SAP interview, the 3rd round, can happen to anyone.
    3. Getting 2 rejections is not the end of the world. You will be able to get a job soon. May be it is better to get in a few months - your child will be in first grade and you will have before and after school programs that you can take advantage of. So your working life will be a little easier than if you get a job now.
    4. All interviews you do now, helps you to get better with interviewing skills even if you do not get the job.
    5. One last thing.....even when you work full time, there is a very high possibility that you might be expected to take off from work when your child is sick....I am just mentioning this because I do not want you get depressed over that later.
    6. Having a child when you are young also has its advantages......in a few months your child will start first grade and you will have more time to concentrate on your carrier when you get the job. All your friends have to get married, have kids etc etc....too

1 person likes this.
  7. geeta79

geeta79 Bronze IL'ite

Dear rinapt,

I think what jaykay and chandrikav has said is true. Go through their replies once again. Dont get so depressed over not getting a job. Enjoy the time with ur kid. Maybe in a year or two when he starts grade 1, u will get enough time to find a good job.

Many indian ladies residing in US had to give their career a back seat becoz of many reasons. So dont think u r alone in going through all this.

Read this article : The Love Story of Anjali and Sachin Tendulkar - Yahoo! Lifestyle India
    It may cheer u up.

3 people like this.
  8. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

dear Geeta,

Your advice is very correct and soothing.

Dear OP,

Just enjoy the days with your LO. These days will not come back. Job and career can come later while the precious time with LO can happen only now. Once they start going to school, as they get older, they need less and less of their mom. Also if you have a job at this point when his need for you is more, your frustrations due to work and home pressure/stress will build.

Take care and enjoy what you have in your hands at this point

1 person likes this.
  9. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

$2000 a month? Which city?
    Don't get worried if they get angry. Stick to your point. That's toooo much money. Getting your kid into a good school is more important. $1000 should be more than enough for 2retired ppl to manage...also they might even have their own savings etc?

You need to have a serious discussion with your husband. What are his future plans? When does he plan to buy a house etc? How does he plan to fund it if you have zero savings? Did you start some investment in your child's name - like a LIC policy etc that gives a good sum when your kid is about to start college etc? Have you thought about retirement? No! It's not too early to start investing in retirement....

Your husband has a sense of responsibility towards his parents - good. But what about wife and kid? Having own house is anyone's dream. By being in the provider role (and not cooperating with you when you want to work), he is taking responsibility of fulfilling such wishes for you. He also has the responsibility to provide good education atleast up to degree level for your child - by being so generous with what he is sending his parents, he should not falter on basic responsibilities towards his wife and child

2 people like this.
  10. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

$2000 a month? really? Babes - you are being taken for a ride. yes, India has become expensive, but not so much that you need Rs100,000 for 2 people.

Second, instead of thinking my husband this, my MIL that, my parents etc etc... take the situation in your hand. Stand up for yourself. Look your husband in the eye and make it clear he has to be responsible and you are going to work. Period.

MIL.. Enough already! uugh their stories never end. If you could only go through the threads here, you will learn you are not alone AND you will also learn how to deal with them. Try them and deal with her. She has led her life. now it is your turn. (tell this to your parents too.)Stop giving her so much importance.

Finally, not clearing interviews cannot crush you. you cannot be so sensitive that a couple of failures tear you down. Thats just the beginning...

First you have confidence. Your husband will back off on his own

1 person likes this.