1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Potty training 7 month old

Discussion in 'Infants' started by tuliplady, Dec 12, 2012.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Tuliplady
    Thats it... I am sure once he starts walking he will make it a point to go to toilet by himself...Good luck dear

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

7 Months is too too early to Potty train. It is better if you start at 2 years old. Kids develop constipation or defecation issues if you force to potty train them (which you have to deal afterwards)

1 person likes this.
  3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Physical maturation of urinary tract is later in boys than girls and can be as late as three years (normal). Seven months is way too early to expect much of your son. Seems he is doing very well but please don't pressure him and give him anxiety you will have to deal with later.

4. Aruna972

Aruna972 Bronze IL'ite

Yes, let your baby take his own time, eventually he will take your habits and learn. First ask this question to yourself, is he ready to be potty trained, both physically and mentally?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
  5. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

Well, just to update. My son is partially toilet trained now. No force no pressure. He happily sits on the potty and does the job. He clearly indicates when he has to go potty..by coming up to me or daddy and then gets on his knees. We take him on the potty chair and he defecates. Since then he has never pooped in his diapers.

As far as urinating is concerned. He does it when we take him to the chair, otherwise he just pees in his cloth diapers. But we are having a 50% success ratio with this, i.e. when we take him every 20 mins, he does it. But if we miss it, then he goes in his diapers.

So far, I am not expecting anything more out of him, but he gets thrilled when he does the job where it is supposed to be.

6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear TL
    Thats really a great achievement... Congrats dear

7. Maddie303

Maddie303 New IL'ite

Hi

I think it is too early for him. A child that young will not have enough control over his bladder muscles. Please discuss with ur son's ped. I've only heard of potty training beginning at 1-1 1/2 years. Because that is when they will begin to hold their pee in.

8. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

i am already struggling with my 2 yr old gal. 7 mths is too early...one of my friend did it when her DD was 15 mths but i cud not :(

9. tuliplady

tuliplady Gold IL'ite

OK..Let me clarify. "Potty training" the word itself takes a serious tone. With infants there is something called as 'Elimination by communication" and scientifically proven theory where infants communicate their need to defecate. Many Indian children are potty trained before 2. As far as I know, potty training in the US begins late.

My son is NOT forced into anything. We just go with the flow. I do not think there is anything wrong in making a child sit on the potty chair, if the child has no problem with it. My son has aquired the ability to communicate ONLY when he wants to poop by giving us an indication and I think that is fabulous. Comments here are right that at this age bladder control is not there and I am not disputing that, and I am also not expecting anything like that from my now 9 month old son. However, I am not opposed to the idea of being diaper free sooner:). In our case, we take him to the potty seat for urinating first thing in the morning, before a nap, after a nap. And since then he has never wetted his diapers in sleep (i.e. only during his daytime naps). At night he still is in his disposies. On all other times, he still wets his cloth diapers. I am NOT expecting him to hold his pee at this time. The idea of starting this soon is for him to simply get comfortable to sitting on the potty chair. I have seen friends struggle with making their child sit on the potty once the child crosses a certain age, and a friend who recently visited me has been unable to do so even when the child is 3 years old.