1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Need an insight in the scenario!

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Flyingsparks, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

Hi all,
    Good morning Ilites..
    Well i am trying to get back to the forum..i am getting addicted to forum if i start following the topics hence i try to take hiatus sometimes...
    Anyway...i am up today with a small ' situation'

Yesterday i & dh attended a party at one of our close friend's place..we all were chatting, having snacks & roaming around in their house.one other friend asked me to give a tour of the host's house & i went ahead..
    Meanwhile dh & dh of my friend whom i was touring the house were sitting on the stairs which leads to next floor of the host's home & were having snacks.just when we reached there,they(dh) finished their food.
    I asked them politely to move aside so that we can go upstairs.then dh gave his plate along with the other guy's and asked me to trash it(they were disposable).i told him again v politely that the trash can is not v far, it is in the kitchen next to the stairs..you do it yourself coz i am going upstairs with the friend..
    He din't listen..he was insisting.i told him that i just came from that room & i am showing the house to friend..so why don't u go ahead & follow us?? He din't budge.as this small discussion was going on,dh of my friend offered to help in trashing it.then my dh's reply was.." No. It's ok..she will do it.why do you have to do it."
    Again he asked me in a heavy tone.. "Why don't u take these away.. Only women supposed to do this kind of stuff" ..i got sooo soooo angry.but i controlled & said " what"
    He replied " yes, aren't women supposed to do all these things?? The other two people present there laughed forcibly coz my dh showed an attitude that he pulled a joke on me..
    That was it..i said " shut up" in subtle voice with a smile.
    Hummm..he got his answer..he got furious and went ahead in trashing the plate..
    Seriousness,silence followed all later and cold war started.he is not talking to me now..of course i knew this was supposed to come but i ignored that moment & went ahead in being in the same party mood & behaved as if nothing happened..
    I am also ignoring his silence now ,but deep inside i am obviously thinking about it & getting a kind of strange feeling...i am not feeling guilty but a heavy,burdened feeling..like " oh god now i have to face some drama for a while and also a feeling that we are drifting apart from each other coz of all these petty issues..
    Already a lot has happened & is happening now..

I know that was a very very small,trivial issue which could have been avoided in all sense.may be I was wrong,may be i was correct..i felt i did right in asking him to shut up..i don't know whether it was right or wrong..but i din't like his attitude.. Just that deep inside i am kind of scared of the consequences..

Such instances happened many times in the past..in fact worse..according to me..like
    1) one day at a friend's place we all were having dinner.i finished first & offered to help the host in closing the kitchen.dh finished later and called for me to take his plate away..i din't like it.he could as well get up & put it in the sink..anyhow he was getting up for washing his hands.
    Still i went ahead coz i din't want any tamasha for such a small issue and i did it out of love & thinking that " it's ok..i am doing for my dh only...not an outsider"
    This has happened many a times,many such similar things happened.i am not saying that i won't do.I will do it it out of love or respect for him & did but not for being a female and not just because it is my duty or i am obliged to do it...i noticed that dh does this deliberately when we are at some friend's place.may be to show off that he is " The Man " of the home or " To control me""

I don't understand why that cocky attitude..

2)long back during the initial months of our marriage we went to visit a friend's family.we stayed there for 5 days..those friend's were already staying in a hotel which has kitchen & other amenities.(dh friend was into a traveling job so he was living in a hotel provided by his company with his wife& ds).
    Few other friends joined us.
    One day we all went for site seeing& shopping etc etc..we we back to hotel in the night.everybody was tired & were trying to unwind & relax.
    The lady of the home was cleaning something in the kitchen.i went and offered to help her.she told " it's ok.the hotel housekeeping will come & do the cleaning.i don't have to do it.i am just cleaning the kid's milk bottle & his other feeding stuff.you go and relax." I still insisted but she denied any help.so i went into our room.
    Dh all of a sudden called for me in a loud voice and said " she is working all alone in the kitchen.go and help her.what r u doing inside?? I felt sooo humiliated and was so enraged.i replied that i offered to help but she denied.she also said the same thing.i couldn't stop my tears.but i din't want to cry infront of everybody so i went into the restroom.all the others present there told him that it was bad to behave that way.now go and console her.
    His repy was " it's ok.there was nothing wrong in it.anyways now you guys don't make me do something which is absolutely not necessary & don't make a scene out of it.she is ok.i don't have to plead her for such small thing".

Hummm...this was in the v initial stages of my marriage.many such instances happened before and after.i was always scared to open my mouth & give a fitting reply.i don't know but i was scared.i used to brush it off thinking why fight for such small issues..there r bigger things to fight for..

When bigger things propped up & i opened my mouth,i was threatened to be kicked out of the house...phew!!!!

Here when i share with my mom....all she says is " we have to adjust baby,it's written in our fate...woman's life is like that..blah blah blah..."
    Phew!!!

Well at least i could vent here....

What do u all say?? Was i wrong???

2. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

- to think that cleaning after their dirty dishes is women's job is seriously rotten.

3 people like this.
  3. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

I think your DH is trying to show off when he is around people in a way that he dominates his wife / He is the Master of the House. I know some one who acts like tat when People are around. Sad that he doesn't know that same people judge him for treating his wife like tat .

1 person likes this.
  4. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I think it's pure ego and show off.I know you can't change him instantly.Since you already know him enough,you better avoid thosesituations.
    We have one similar person,but none of us looked women down.We always used look down on the guy who his disrespect for his wife.
    Don't loose your peace and focus for these small issues.Since you already know there is no use of fighting over it again and again.
    Just foucs on your studies.He will learn his lessons.don't worry.But make sure you don't have to throw other people plates.Just take your husband plate and leave other people plates.He can't force you to take other people plates.

YOU are not wrong.

3 people like this.
  5. disillusion

disillusion Senior IL'ite

I think you did the right thing by showing him you are not going to put up with that nonsense talk. To previous poster, yes people judge a man who treats his wife in that manner, but they also judge the wife who puts up with that behavior.

1 person likes this.
  6. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I think It depends on his upbringing on he views women's role in life. If growing up mom or sisters always took his plate & did everything from him then that's what he thinks is normal.

Now that he is married to you , you can teach him better. You have to communicate with him that you don't like his attitude and you wouldn't want your daughter thinking its normal to be treated like this. When ever you talk to him talk calmly . Make him see how its not respectfull behavior.
    all the best, it might take a lot of talks & patience on your part. and big (((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) to you.

2 people like this.
  7. poojachinoy

poojachinoy Gold IL'ite

take it easy..iknow hard to do it when you have the pressure and stress of studies added.

its his nature,accept it...he will never change...unless the golden goose he married starts bring home moolah...whenevr he says such things that too infront of people,just ignore it and keep carrying on with your buissness....you did a great job handling...

ignore the trash talk and thinking...concentrate on your studies...you have bigger and better goals to achieve..dont get sucked in petty politics and ego issues...not the time to teach him a lesson...he will never change unless he has decided to himself...instead chanelize your prescious time and energy in things which can be gained and which will be fruitful for you in the long run..its always better to dictate terms being at a higher ground!

all the best!

4 people like this.
  8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Hugs to you Flying Sparks -- take each day as it come. There are two ways to look at this scenario - the smart way and the come what may come way, you took the second approach and neither is wrong. I know the smart thing would be to keep quiet, knowing how he would react later, yes sometimes it does make sense to pick and fight your battles with people like your husband. But you know what I absolutely don't mind taking dishes - but I have a problem if someone tells me that I should do it because I am a woman and women are supposed to do these kind of jobs....
    Your story reminded me of a recent incident - totally unrelated but I had to share... I have a friend who constantly complains that her husband does not chip in with any household work, she is a housewife and they have two kids. Her complain is that her husband expects her to be a superwoman. Every time she comes to visit me or other friends and sees other husbands helping their wives she feels bad. During hurricane Sandy, we were bunking at another friend's place and the other friend and I thought that maybe seeing other men help with house chores her husband would also change. So one day after dinner, my friend's husband offered to do the dishes and my husband offered to clean the dining table, while the other friend and I were watching TV. Now the friend's husband did not say anything, but the friend jumped from her couch and said how can you women sit here when your husbands are working -- this looks very bad, I will go and help those poor guys. My friend and I were left to roll our eyes -

9 people like this.
  9. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

FS.... first you decide, what you want. I am not blaming you for any of the act coz afterall the reaction is part of the provoked actions. Your DH is one of those MCP's who will never change even on a dead body. For them their ego takes the highest priority. They dont undestand that they are spoiling their own happiness, life and family by doing that. But sweety you do understand all this. So it is completely your call how you choose your life to be. if you see a future for both you together, then try to work upon it, despite your DH being a typical jerk.

What your Dh did at the party and other insatnces is totally ridiculous. But instead of stretching the conversation, you could have smiled, just walked ahead and said that you will trash the plates upon return. By now you know his nature. so why beg to differ. By saying this I dont mean compromising. But FS, its high time that you think and do things wisely.

Dont fight for your DH's behaviour. If you wish to stay with him then accept it, that such nerds cannot be changed, overnight. With your sweet love, nature and behaviour, he WILL realise some day, after a yr, 2 yrs, 3yrs etc. But atleast you will some mental peace as soon as you start accpeting things.

Fight for your rights. But that can also be done without keeping grudges, a peaceful mind and wise thoughts. Have faith in yourself first that you will be able to change things, even if your DH doesnt want to.

If you feel like, do read this, you might get some Hope out of this and feel better. Hope!

Edit: There are many instances when I picked my DH's trash plates, his friends plates, my friends Husband's trash plates in the potluck parties. I never felt or thought I was being looked down upon as a female.

2 people like this.
  10. Decentguy

Decentguy New IL'ite

Flying Sparks

Read your Thread. Have one question -

I hope you have mentioned all the things word to word as it happened without any exaggeration.

I feel the husband should have thrown his and his friend's plate in the trash. I mean I would have done that if I was in his place. Infact I have done that many times. At home also, I have taken the dishes from my wife and thrown "the remainig food " in trash and after that have washed the dishes myself...

Nevertheless - Don't get me wrong. But you said the trash was in the way correct and you were showing someone the house. In the post you said i told him again v politely that the trash can is not v far, it is in the kitchen next to the stairs..you do it yourself coz i am going upstairs with the friend..
    He din't listen..he was insisting.i told him that i just came from that room & i am showing the house to friend..so why don't u go ahead & follow us??
    I have a question - Why did you ask him to follow you if the trash was in the kitchen next to the stairs and you were going upstairs?

i told him that i just came from that room & i am showing the house to friend.
    What room?

Many members have mentioned that your husband has ego and a cocky attitude. Don't you have an ego?

I mean this was such a small thing..."throwing a couple of dishes in the trash can". I can't help but think this is one of the threads where a fight and argument could have been avoided if someone had "less ego". When I say someone I mean husband and wife both.

FlyingSparks - I believe you did not like the way this happened and that too in front of other friends. In a way you felt embarassed because you might have thought "What will friends think? They will gossip now". In the beginning of the post you said this was a small situation but the fact that you started a thread out of this, makes me wonder if you also have the same ego as your husband.

Remember - There is a very thin line between being egoistic and "having self respect"

Don't get me wrong. I am just thinking from both angles..

3 people like this.