1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does an Indian dancer need to know the language?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by Loving2011, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

I don't speak Hindi, and I don't always understand all of it. But, I have been dancing to Indian songs at weddings since I was 12. People are shocked at how one can dance so well with not knowing the language. One man even told me, "Why do you pretend to not know Hindi? Look at how you dance" I told him, " All what I need to know is how to move my body." :)

There are European women on youtube doing very well with dancing to Bollywood songs and white belly dancers doing well to Arabic songs. Language may make it easier to understand the lyrics, but it doesn't dictate how well you can dance. I think dancing is more about movement, the ability to choreography and being in tune with the beats. What's interesting is that some people can speak Hindi fluently, yet they aren't able to dance.

What do you think? Is knowing the language mandatory for doing an Indian dance?

2. plantscantalk

plantscantalk Gold IL'ite

Definitely required for classical dances, as it's important to get the meaning behind the lyrics, mudra-s and to convey the bhaava to the audience. The audience can judge the lack of bhaava pretty accurately.

Anything goes for b'wood/cinema songs.

3. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

Classical dance is a different scenario, but non-Indian students are able to learn the meanings of certain things. My point is if one needs to speak the language fluently.

I had a bharatnatyam teacher that told me how some of her non-Indian students were more disciplined and knowledgeable than her Indian students, heh.

4. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Unless you are imitating a choreographed item (e.g. following step by step of a bollywood dance like a mirror image, including facial expressions), it does help to know the language. It will make the facial expressions more meaningful and give support to overall performance.

It is often heard that one does not need to know the language to appreciate a song or dance, but I would not completely support that for respect to the lyricist and poets who penned the song with so much care and effort. I think we should respect the words that support the tune.

So while I would not use the word "mandatory", I would take interest in understanding what exactly am I dancing for - what is the context, what is the meaning, situation, etc.

Aamrapali

5. Loving2011

Loving2011 Silver IL'ite

I agree that knowing the language helps. I do refer to subtitles or ask my mom to help out with certain words/phrases.

The people around me felt that one couldn't do an Indian dance at all if they didn't know the language. I think a lot of people now these days imitate the choreography seen in a movie, or add their own steps that go with the music.

I was just curious to see if anyone else found it hard to believe.

6. ParomaSen2411

ParomaSen2411 Bronze IL'ite

I believe dance is art. No kind of art can be defined or limited by language.

If we can dance to Spanish beats without knowing the language , you can very well dance to anything just by enjoying the rhythm if not the words!