New pet - What can i expect.

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by padma0604, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padma,
    Best of luck for getting the soon to be the most important member of your family ....your pet doggie.
    Yes, ofcourse our kids will always be our babies however old they maybe .I'm a senior citizen with a 40 year old daughter who is still a baby in both my eyes and DH's too !! But now that she has flown away from the nest our doggies Romeo the Lab and Juju the Basset hound have become our babies now.
    Looking forward to hearing all about your new pet with pictures too.

1 person likes this.
  2. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Hi Paulina,

that was a very warm post. I know children will always remain children to us however old they become. How are you managing the two pets?? Do you take them to walks and all? Don't you find it difficult to manage both of them when you take them for a walk or to a park? How do you manage the routine? You inspire me with your positive talk about the pets. Yes i will surely post the pics when i bring the pup home.
    Regards,
    Padma.

3. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Aha...after the hectic schedules at the office,now we are free and we are planning to visit a kennel tomorrow. We asked if they have got Golden Retrievers, they said that they do, but we will check out for a lab as well. One of them will be coming home after two weeks, because they are now just six weeks old.I am waiting for this now. Lot of names being discussed at home. My daughter is super happy about this. I am praying for the best !

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Padma,

Hopefully by now you have all chosen your VIP family member by now.What is the final decision? Lab or Golden Retriever?
    We have been ardent dog lovers from both sides of the family and can't even remember a day without a doggie in our lives from childhood.
    Our two pets Romeo the Lab and Juju the Basset hound keep me happily busy .Since we have enough garden space,they just play around and I'm not keen on walks outside for fear of various factors like traffic and other dogs attacking which I will not be able to handle.So they are fine within our garden itself .I personally bathe them and feed them daily.We have reliable people to take care if we have to be away for a few days and so all is well so far .
    If you peep into my thread "Join the Club ...Membership free" you can see pictures of both of them there .Anyway I'm just posting a favourite picture where they both posed obediently...
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. ParomaSen2411

ParomaSen2411 Bronze IL'ite

HI!

I have several pets and I'd just like to say that pets are easy to manage, despite all the responsibilty. If you have a maid it is easier although if you can't you can always train your dog to go out for walks alone. The first few months may be trying but the rest of the dog's life with you will be very rewarding.

Focus on your pet's healthcare and maintenance issues on every Sunday considering you are a working mom...

Furthermore, if a pet puppy is left alone from a young age because every one in the family goes to work / school, it will get used to it. So in all you really have nothing to worry about.

1 person likes this.
  6. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Dear Paulina,
    Your post is filled with warmth as usual. Thanks for the same.
    Our visit to the kennel today was not fruitful. The pups are just 4 weeks old and we got to see just one pup. We could not see the litter and we could not see the parents, not even the mother. To top it all they say they cannot give any papers with reference to the pedigree or health of the pup. The cost of the pup was between 15 to 18 thousand (Golden Retriever). Is it not necessary that the pup is atleast 8 weeks old, before we bring it home? We were also surprised that the kennel was not giving any papers...so our search continues....
    Will post updates.
    Thanks and regards
    Padma

7. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Hi Paroma sen,

that was an encouraging and thoughtful post from you. Still looking out for a pup...We intend to bring it sometime in Feb first week. Will keep you all updated about the same.

thankyou so much,
    Padma

8. padma0604

padma0604 Silver IL'ite

Now..this is it ! We are wondering if we should go for a "Beagle". Some breeders are saying apartment flooring (Marble) may be slippery for a "Golden Retriever" and its size. They are suggesting to think about Beagle because of it's size. Can we manage to train a Beagle not to bark too much? Because that's the only problem which made us think about a retriever.

And Paulina i forgot to mention earlier - your pets are beautiful !I liked the photograph !
    regards,
    Padma

9. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Oh Paulina they are so cute and as you say are very obedient :cheers

10. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

Hi Padma,

Did u find your pet. I am little curious as we will be shifting to hyd shortly and my son is insisting on having a pet for a long time and his choice s a lab. Please let me know if u chose one and from which kennel you bought him from and the breed and ur exp so it wouldbe of use to me. Thx