1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone needs Dental advice - Please post ur problems

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by hema_gladston, Jun 18, 2008.

1. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

Dr.Preethi,
    Thanks for your help. I have posted before too and you have been very prompt in clearing my doubts.
    I need advice on my child's dental condition.
    She is 7 years old. Her 2 milk teeth on top and 2 on bottom have fallen and are almost 75% done in growing. Few months back when the top teeth had started growing, she wasn't brushing properly and food used to collect there often. She never let me clean it saying that it hurts her. Now the teeth that had collected food has got a clear long white mark. Though she brushed better now, the white mark never goes away. Looks like it is going to stay. It looks bad. What can i do to make it less visible ? Please help.

2. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Madhu,

Wait it out. Sometimes the enamel takes time to completely form and minute lines as such could vanish over time. You can leave it out of your mind for atleast 6-8 months.. If it doesn't disappear by the end of an year then, visit a Dentist to see whether it is a developmental defect. For now, wait it out.

Take care.

3. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

Dr.preethi,
    thanks for such a prompt reply. The white patch is actually thick. that is what is making me worry.
    i hope as you say, it fades over time.

4. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi Dr Preethi,
    hats off to you for providing a detailed explanation for each and every problem.
    I feel that gaps between my teeth have slightly increased than before. not much but little. I can feel it because food is getting stuck between certain teeth. I went to the dentist even though there was no pain. he did a filling on the spaces between teeth. but i still experience problems in one teeth( the problem of food particles getting stuck) and when I bite certain hard food particles then the other filled teeth pains. I am going to go to the dentist regarding this.
    Now what i want to ask you is there a possibility of gaps between teeth increasing when we get older. I am 31 years old. I have seen so many dental problems in these 31 years. I have 3 root canal and almost 7 to 8 teeth of mine are filled. so now you must have understand the seriousness of the situation. what measures can I take to protect my teeth from further decay. I brush twice day without fail. even if it is 4 a.m, i still make it a point to brush my teeth.
    sorry for the long post. waiting for your reply

5. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

I know Madhu. During the developing stage the teeth is ridiculously translucent and so lines are clearer. Please wait for 6 months and then visit a Dentist. However, if your mommy heart says something is wrong beyond worry, then you could visit the Dentist just to make sure. It doesn't hurt to have a consultation. Since I haven't seen it clinically, I can just advice on what you initially wrote. But, go ahead make an appointment.

Take care

6. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

April,

Thanks.. I am glad I can help a few. :)

Problems as space between teeth can be due to gum related problems if there is no decay. It is true, that dental issues can worsen over age if the basic oral health before that has already been worrisome. So, if the gums, health of gums or the bones aren't in good condition then the scene can worsen eventually. Please get an Xray done of that teeth with spaces and ask your dentist to see if there is a bone loss. What you would need is a deep cleaning and maintenance therapy to help you not worsening the gap. Then then filling put between stays and the issues like food getting stuck won't happen again. Hope you understand.

Take care

7. april1981

april1981 Gold IL'ite

Hi Dr preethi
    But I also forgot to mention that I have a habit of using a tooth pick to remove stuck up food particle after eating something. Can the widening spaces be due to that as well.

8. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Yes, A. Constant pressure onto tooth makes it move. Habits as tooth Picking does cause harm if done too regularly. You could floss instead just to remove the food or even brush. That would help. Nevertheless, please visit the Dentist.to check on the gums before a filling is put in place. Take care.

9. kiranmadhu

kiranmadhu Senior IL'ite

Dr.Preethi,
    thanks again for your prompt reply.
    the colouration has been there for the last 3-4 months. yes, i think i will show her to a dentist.

10. jkaly

jkaly Bronze IL'ite

Dr Preethi,

I have some queries regarding complete tooth replacement for my dad.

my dad removed his wisdom teeth when he was young(25 years back now he is 58) and he had temporary teeth to replace it. he was not happy with the temporary one those days as it was hurting and also pain persisted. So he started using tobacco(pan) to anasthesize the pain. now all his teeth is shaky and also he says that the upeer and lower jaw has been lowered. I cannot see him suffer everyday with the pain. Also i am afraid to take him to any doc because he was using tobacco i always have a fear that removal of teeth may result in cancer as heard from many people. Dad is also afraid and he says unless we do not disturb(remove) the teeth its just pain and if we remove it may result in something else.

Also people are suggesting that due to lowering of jaws tooth replacement is also not possible. Moreover my dad is diabetic.

please suggest.