1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Maintaining Non stick Cookware

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Jithiks, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Vandhana,

I am using the hard anodized cookware only.(Pots,Pans,Tava etc). Occasionally, I use them for making small qunatities of rasam or sambar. They come out well and are cooked fast. I often use them for making curries,pastas,kootus,kurmas,gravies etc.

As you mentioned, the teflon coated cookware are not suitable for making sambar,vetra kozhambu and other recipes that call for tamarind paste.

I do find these anodized non stick cookware more durable and resistant to heat. But I am quite hesitant to use them often for making sambar,rasams and kozhambu.

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions!

Jithiks (Krithika)

2. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have a hard time cleaning the stains outside my nonstick cookwares.. If something spills, it becomes like a burnt hard stain.. Any idea to clean that?

Thanks.

3. prishen

prishen Bronze IL'ite

Dear Krithika and Vandhana,
    Could you please explain what is the differnece between: hard anodized cookware and teflon coated cookware . What brand in USA are anodized and what brand are teflon. I thought all non-stick are same and only the brand makes them differ in quality.. Sorry if my question is too silly... :help

Thanks,
    Priya

4. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

For cleaning the burnt stains, try using the non-abrasive sponge with a little soap and warm water. Try to clean the stains as soon as you can. (of course after the pots/pans have cooled down)

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Jithiks(Krithika)

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,

There is a big difference between the hard anodized cookware and teflon coated cookware.

-Teflon is a chemical coating given to the nonstick cookware that easily flakes off and gets into our food slowly. This is believed to be carcinogenic (Cause Cancer) These teflon coated non stick cookware do not last long.

-On the other hand, Anodized cookware is aluminum that is made more hard and durable using a chemical reaction. This is said to be much better than using plain Aluminum vessels for cooking. These are quite expensive, but very durable.

-Also, nowadays, you may even find non stick cookware with anodized coating on the exterior (outside) and non stick in the interior. You can also use these.

Personally, I figured that the Teflon coated non stick cookwares do not last long and are not preferable nowadays due to health reasons.

Hope I have clarified your doubts! :)

Cheers,
    Jithiks (Krithika)

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Krithika,
    My 4 kuzambu vessels are
    Chetak
    My kadais are
    Kitchenchef - available in Homeneeds, with a lid
    Trupti cookware ( not the non-stick one), but black anodised.
    They are available in Rathna, Thangavel Nadar etc.
    I have not bought Prestige Omega. But my friend, who has bought it, swears by it !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,

Thanks for all the information. Sure I will try to get these on my next trip to Chennai.
    Omega cookware seems to be very good when I am making the sweets. Normally, I like to keep kadais/cookware separately for sweets. Probably I should get more of them next time for making sambar,rasam,curries etc.:)

Thanks once again Chithra!
    Regards
    Jithiks(Krithika)

8. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Hi Krithi,
    Thanks a lot for these useful tips.I have prestige non stick tava and a kadai.They are vey good.

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

I got a full set of Prestige cookware during my marriage. I use the different pots and pans for various purposes. Yes, the sweets turn out really very well. The Omega cookware are also too good.

Thanks for the cleaning tips Krithika. Though I used to clean them initially, now that it had been so long time and certain vessels needs replacement, I am not cleaning all of them. My maid cleans a few of them and I clean the kadais that I use for sweets and the tawas.

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Aishu,

You are most welcome ! Glad you found the tips useful. Prestige is a good brand...I too had the whole set when I was in Chennai.

Important thing is we need to use only soft/plastic scrubbers while cleaning them and immediately wipe them clean.

Btw, thanks for calling me krithi(that is one of my nick names:)).

Cheers
    Krithi