Schools in Trivandrum!

Discussion in 'Trivandrum' started by ANK, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Arya Central is a reputed school, however I wouldn't say it's spectacular. My nephew/niece study there.Class sizes are on the higher side, a bit crowded (similar to any other local school) - as a result not all students get equal attention from the teacher. That said, the school does promote sports and extra-curricular activities. Annual sports day and annual day are held regularly with students vying for top honors.

To be fair to Arya Central or any other school: From my observation of Trivandrum schools, competition among students is tough and it's upto the student to make his/her mark; classrooms tend to be crowded and the emphasis is on academics - Arya Central is no exception.

See link below for CBSE Plus 2 exam results for Trivandrum city in May 2012. All the schools are comparable academically.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/Thiruvananthapuram/article3468838.ece

1 person likes this.
  2. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Trivandrum City schools fare well in May 2012 ICSE, ISC exams

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, May 20, 2012

Schools in the city have fared well in the ICSE and ISC examinations 2011-12, the results of which were announced on Saturday.

Out of the 104 students who had appeared for the ICSE examinations from Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Kunnumpuram, 71 came out with distinction and 29 with first class. A.S. Sarath (94 per cent) is the school topper.
    Nineteen out of the 30 students who appeared for ISC examinations secured distinction and 14 first class. Anjali Kaimal (91 per cent) is the school topper.

All the 50 students who appeared for ICSE examinations from Loyola School, Sreekariyam, secured distinction. Advit Shankar J. Potty who scored 671/700 stood first. In ISC, of the 51 students, 40 secured distinction and 11 first class. Naveen Joseph Roy who scored 481 out of 500 marks stood first.

The St. Thomas Residential School presented 159 students for the ICSE examinations, of which 149 secured distinction and 10 secured first class. Navina Mohan and Jyotsna Karan came first with 97.4 per cent.
    In ISC, in the science stream, out of the 107 students, 82 secured distinction and 25 first class.
    Neeta Mariam Cherian stood first with 96 per cent. In commerce stream, out of 30 students 17 secured distinction and 11 secured first class. Philip Mathew (90.8 per cent) is the topper.

Twenty-two students from the L'ecole Chempaka School, Sreekaryam, took the ICSE examinations this year and all have secured distinction. B.J. Amogh (97 per cent) is the topper.

Of the 47 students from the Marion Villa Convent ISC School, Kumarapuram, 32 secured distinction, 13 first class and two second class in ICSE.
    Swetha Mohan (97 per cent) emerged the topper. Of the 14 students who took the ISC examinations, four secured distinction, seven first class and three second class. Sainu Ummukhulzum (88 per cent) is the topper.

At Christ Nagar International School, Kowdiar, 122 out of the 145 students secured distinction and 23 second class. D. Akshatha (96.6 per cent) is the topper.
    In ISC, of the 81 students, 69 secured distinction and 12 second class. Kalyani Vishnu who scored 495/500 marks is the topper.

In Holy Angels' ISC School, Nanthencode, 60 out of the 88 students secured distinction and 28 first class in ISC. In the science stream, Parvathy Sarat stood first with 94.8 per cent. P. Divya with 98.8 per cent is the topper in the commerce stream. In the ICSE examinations, 131 out of the 152 secured distinction and 21 first class. B.Aswathy with 97.4 per cent stood first.

In Trivandrum International School, of the 11 students who appeared for ICSE examinations, six secured distinction and five first class. Aishwarya Nathan is the topper with 94.3 percent.
    In ISC, 10 have bagged distinction and 11 first class. Devika Sindhu with 94.8 per cent is the topper.

The Hindu : Cities / Thiruvananthapuram : City schools fare well in ICSE, ISC exams

3. dashami

dashami Silver IL'ite

Lively, thank u very much!!! I was looking for a place for my nephew. He is in chempaka junior school now. We are happy about it, but senior school has got mixed opinions. So we are confused if we have to change him. If so, we are not sure, which school is better

4. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Dashami,

Which syllabus is your nephew in Chempaka? And which grade/standard? If he is in the ICSE stream already, I would recommend St. Thomas or Loyola. Both these schools are highly acclaimed for academics and extra-curricular activities. Arya Central is a good school too. As he is already a student in TVM, he is in all probability used to Indian education system, so the transition wouldn't be difficult.

Also, it might be beneficial for him to move to Indian syllabus from International syllabus if he has plans of doing his professional (engg/medicine) from India. International syllabus makes sense only if the student is pursuing college education abroad or if the student is a recent migrant from abroad (for ease of transition).

That said, with any school, there is cut throat competition in the science stream and would entail very long and hard hours of studies and tuitions once he is in 11/12th. My nephew studied in Christ Nagar CBSE (Thiruvallam) and the going was tough for him too. No exceptions whether be it St.Thomas or Arya or any other school. Hope this helps.

Best wishes to your nephew.

5. dashami

dashami Silver IL'ite

Thanks again Lively! We were bothered about the class size in these schools. We wish the education should emphasis on personality development of the kid rather than mere academics. But I feel school atmosphere is important in grooming a kid as individual. if he is weak in any subject, we could provide extra help. Unfortunately its doubtful, how far the popular schools could give attention to an average student in bringing out his potential. I am not blaming them, the teachers are also helpless because of the large class size. Hope some school should be there fulfilling requirements of kids

6. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

Dashami,

Your concerns are well placed. Unfortunately, the mainstream schools in TVM are geared more towards academics. Personality development of the student is incidental and not the main focus of these schools. Looking upto schools to aid in personality development might be a futile exercise; we will be extremely lucky to find such a school - sorry if I sound blunt.

Class size is indeed a concern - you might have to extend your search to locate schools with low class strength. Check out Saraswathi Vidyalaya - I believe the school has decent class size. Christ Nagar International also has small class size of 25-30 kids.

You and your family can assist your nephew in a lot of other ways. Identify his interests/aptitudes/strengths and look for avenues and opportunities to further those talents. This can happen outside of school and doesn't have to be within the school itself. Family support and encouragement can go a long way in compensating for perceived deficiencies in our schooling system. All the best!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  7. SSNmom

SSNmom Bronze IL'ite

Dear friends,

We are moving to Trivandrum by March. My daughter is studying LKG (CBSE syllabus) here in Chennai.

We are looking for admission to UKG in a CBSE school. Please let us know which would be right time to seek admission.

Which schools we can look for. Kindly suggest. Please help us. Also we are planning to take a aprtment for rent. It would be nice if the flat is nearby the school. My workplace woulkd be in Technopark.

Kindly provide your valuable suggestions.

8. Lively

Lively New IL'ite

If your workplace is in Technopark, then Kazhakkoottam would be closest place to live. But Kazhakoottam is quite far out from the city area. So shopping and other activities might be a little inaccessible. The other nearby areas are Sreekaryam/Ulloor/Kesavadasapuram/Pattom. Nearby schools are Alan Feldman (very near Technopark), Chempaka (Sreekaryam), Arya Central School (Pattom), Sarvodaya (Nalanchira), Loyola (Sreekaryam).

Most companies in Technopark offer cab service to pick up and drop employees. If your company provides cab service, then you don't have to restrict your house hunt to Technopark area. I would suggest that you first secure school admission and then decide on the locality where you want to rent.

9. TDN

TDN New IL'ite

Re: very good school in trivandrum

hi all,

I am Thara, planning to relocate to TVM,Kerala frm USA....looking out for a school which best suits a US brought up child ofcourse , should be rated good too...Infact learning malayalam and Hindi is not going to be a easy job for him so if there's an optional choice for it then it would be gr8... Pls help me find the rt school and update me with the current educational system too...

regards
    thara

10. rakinya

rakinya Platinum IL'ite

Re: very good school in trivandrum

Trivandrum International School.
    Trivandrum International School,

Edackode P O,Korani,

Trivandrum-695 104

I think this would be better as they are following an international curriculum.One of my friend's son is studying here.