1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I wish I had a Sister

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ilovesai, Dec 29, 2012.

1. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

I am not sure how many of you'll have felt this way.. But I always have this feeling running on my mind.. My brothers are married with kids. But none of them bother to wish me or send a birthday email even for my birthday.. If i send photos, then after seeing that, he will send a belated wish (too very rarely).. But when I call my bro or bro's wife on their bday or anniversary, they hardly pick the call, because they will be in a resort (where there is no net connection) or some distant place to celebrate the occasion. But anyway, I wish them on their birthdays over email.. I have never demanded any gifts or even asked anything from them.. Can they not a send a simple bday message in spite of being in FB , mail and stuff. They can't even remember by kid's birthday too unless I share the bday photos with them. But as a sis, I always remember all their bdays, send gifts for their kids bday..These things happen after the brother gets married.. They grow distant when they have a wife and kid.. But this is not the case when you have a sister.. Most of the sisters talk often, share bday messages.. Since we all live in different countries, I always feel sad and wonder if I had a sister,, things would have been different..

Since I have such brothers, I always see to that my husband talks to his sister and wishes her for every occasion. Ofcourse, he emails her but I insist him to talk to her so that she doesn't feel as lonely as I am.. My sil feels so happy whenever we call and talk to her.. I am not sure how many of you'll have such brothers..

2 people like this.

2. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

I have a younger sister and brother...but I agree the bond you share with sister is different, she is my best frnd we both talk everyday and we know we can depend on each other for anything.

I'm so blessed to have her.

I have a DS and pregnate with my second , I always wanted two girls feel so disappointed sometimes , thinking my kids may nt be close as we are. Hoping for best !

1 person likes this.
  3. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Oh dear dont feel bad boys r like that they wont keep emotionally attached to his sis, even i had 1 younger brother but not married, still every time my mom will keep onpushing to call me for my b'day . I dont have sis yes the bond between the sis's is definitely different.

1 person likes this.
  4. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

I'm sorry to hear that ilovesai. We are 5 siblings and my mom always bothers if we will be close enough later and be in touch which I admire but at the same time she does not respect my sister's DH and my DH's relationship with their siblings.

I always tell DH how important siblings are in our lives, with whom we have shared a significant amount of our life. Just like parents are special, nobody can replace sibling bond too.

But it is sad to see them drift apart after marriage nowadays. If I were in your place, I think I would also do the same. I don't have any suggestions for you dear, take care.

3 people like this.
  5. lukywife

lukywife Gold IL'ite

I am really lucky..My bro and sil always wish me and I do send my brothers wife gifts and wishes. But I never insisted and expected them to do. But they always do that. I think if we share a good relation with sil, relationship with bro will grow. If we try to care our bro than sil and make her feel lone, we will definitely have to lose our brothers. I love my brothers wife than my husbands sister who always try to dominate. I never wished my husbands sister and she never does that. So no problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP,
    It will be good to maintain distance from your brothers and family so that you do not get emotionally hurt.
    Its obvious that they do not care for your wishes, gifts, why send them???
    You expect them to be nice to you since you are diligently remembering birthdays etc while they are ignoring you.
    No expectations, no disappointments.
    Continue being nice to your inlaws, you may find a supportive sis there !!!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Luckywife,

Good to know your bro and sil are good to you.. It really depends on the person. My bro's wife is my cousin too.. Even before marriage, we were so close.. Its not that I am not good to her or she is angry with me.. I treat my bro's wife and talk to her more than I do to my brother.. But somehow things have changed after they had kids.. There are many times I have sent gifts only to my bro's wife and not my bro.. There is no clash or any problem between us.. She is also highly educated and work for a company, but after marriage, for her, if its birthdays, its only her family and not h's side.. When I was a cousin, she was much better.. As a person, she is good, but personally, she might be possessive.. If its her sister's birthday, you can clearly see them wishing each other back and forth on FB.. Her sister is my cousin too, I am in good relations with her sisters too..

If its my bday, the first people who wish me are my ils, sils and co-sister.. I maintain very good relation with them.. When it comes to my family, bro's wife, I always talk to her first and most of the time I don't even ask for my bro.. But the most talkative brothers are not as talkative as they were before marriage.. Maybe men become silent and they have their own problems running in my mind.. Or they don't like to interact a lot with their siblings, or pressure from wifey (it really depends on the spouse, I guess, no matter however good you are , some spouses (man/woman) have hatred towards dh or dw's siblings or close relatives. Even my brothers, they don't call each other or interact much within themselves as they did before marriage.. I have seen a similar pattern in my dad's family too.. DAd had 5 brothers and one sister, it was only dad's sister (my athai) who used to call and interact with the brothers..

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  8. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

When is your birthday? no dont tell yr or date. Just the month is fine. We will celebrate ur Bday full month here. my guess this month. So Yaaappy Birtha Dayyy toooo You! Yaaappy Bithday Yappy biiiday...

Guys...come one everybdoy ...[​IMG]..group hug time ...group hug time.....[​IMG][​IMG]

arey! wait...lizen....sto...ah. huh! :coffee was my idea and am thrown out :evil:

10 people like this.
  9. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

haha.. thanks naksh.. its not the birthday wish that matters.. Its more like why bro's are not as close as sisters.
    My cousin, my friends, whoever it is, who have sisters, most often share good bond with each other.. I guess its more like how children are brought up from young age, or the nature of the spouse, or the nature of the bro itself..

Its my star bday today.. :) I had a chain of emails and phone calls but nothing from my side of family members..
    In my mil's family, my mil reminds everyone if any us have bdays and she makes sure everyone wishes me, including my sil's husband, co-sister.. and the same goes when they have their bdays.. Mil reminds me to make sure I don't forget to wish any of them (my sil's mils and fils, i wish them too).. Maybe my mom is not doing that and even if she reminds to wish, i don't know how they would take it :)

Thanks Naksh :)

1 person likes this.
  10. niti123

niti123 Silver IL'ite

I am very unlucky not to have any siblings. I have missed them all along in my life. My cousin sister was the one who was closest of being a sibling. My DH has a brother and they are very close to each other though they dont wish each other on birthdays