1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

which sewing machine to buy in US ..for a beginner

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by PetiteFashionB, Dec 4, 2012.

1. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

Hi all

I live in US and work in IT for a living.Though my work keeps me so busy but i like to do something different all the time..It keeps on changing and this time its sewing.
    I am not very creative by nature like most of the women are ( for childhood ) .I cannot of creative or innovative ideas but can copy.

So on my journey, I thought of buying a sewing machine which i had tried before also but prices & complexity (i know old styled machines in india) in US kept me away .

My experience with Sewing:I know little bit about sewing as a child but could never sew straight on a line.

My budget is 100-200$ and i have been eyeing on brother's machines for sometime-
    Brothers Cs 6000i (149$)
    Brothers CP7500 (158$)
    Brothers SQ 9050 (200$)
    and not able to decide which one to buy.

My basic purpose:
    1.Mending clothes, hemming pants,denims ,
    2.Would love to learn to sew basic tops, kurtas ,churidars.
    2.But i did want to buy more functions- (just in case)
    I don't think i will become hardcore seamstress for quilting (SQ 9050 machine offers features of quilting ).

I would like to have suggestions for everyone and specially indian seamstresses in US.

2. SriRuchira

SriRuchira Silver IL'ite

I have brother fashion faces .. It costs 79$ it has 14 sticthing and good one for beginners

3. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

I never saw or heard of this model in nearby stores that i know. I mostly look in walmart and joann fabrics.
    Are you able to stitch new clothes from scratch with this model?
    I mainly want to mend and rework old clothes but also plan to experiment with stitching

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I suggest you check out the videos on machines on the shopping channels QVC and HSN....they might have interesting info on there. Just mentioning, the high schools here often use Necchi machines for the new students as they are very straightforward. I have a Necchi and like it although its old now. You can also often pick up used machines for next to nothing through the want ads or yard sales or machine fixit places.

5. mituyadav

mituyadav Platinum IL'ite

Please suggest more models in Singer brand , I am also planning to buy this holiday.

purpose : basic alterations
    budget : max 100$