Siris Food Experiments :)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by spuppala, Feb 20, 2012.

1. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

sorry doors for the late reply..

all purpose flour=maida=white flour
    By leaf wont get grinded fully but when you grind it will spread the aroma to the entire dish
    We call maida in india:)

2. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Aromatic Rice Pilaf
    -------------------------
    Sorry Friends,i was away for a long time..hope you will excuse me
    Today's recipe is Anjum Anand's Aromatic Rice Pilaf.It is a very quick and mild spicy plain pilaf that is suitable for vegetarians and non-vegetarians.This rice is full of flavours and I managed to change the recipe a bit by adding lots of dry fruits in it.Also mint leaves gave the pilaf nice aroma,unlike normal biryani this is a very mild variety of rice with less spices,I served this with Murgh Makhani which I will post soon..
    DSC02748.JPG
    Ingredients:
    Basmathi Rice - 3 cups( 300 gms)
    Onions chopped - 1 Big
    Green chilli slit - 5
    Mint Leaves - 1 fistful
    Cloves - 7
    Green Cardamom - 4
    Black Cardamom -3
    Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
    Cashews - 10
    Raisins -10
    Oil/Ghee - 5 tbsp
    Saffron or Yellow food colouring - 1 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    Water

Recipe for Rice Pilaf:

1.Start melting ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.Add in the whole spices like cloves, cinnamon,green and black cardamom
    2.Add in cashews in raisins and fry for a minute.Next add in chopped onions,green chillies and cook for 2 minutes.Adjust salt as well at this point.
    3.Pop in a tea spoon of ginger garlic paste and cook till onions are soft.Throw in some mint leaves to give your pilaf a nice aroma.
    4.Add in coriander powder and mix well.Cook the mixture for about 5-8 minutes until yu feel the nice mint aroma
    5.Add in the soaked basmathi rice and mix well such that the masala gets coated to rice grains well.
    6.Pour in five cups of water(rem the cup you measured your rice) and adjust salt,Stir well on high flame for 5 min and reduce the flame,Cook covered till the rice gets cooked.This may take 20 min.
    7.When the rice is cooked almost,add in some saffron milk or yellow food colouring here and there over the rice and fold the rice gently from the bottom. Sprinkle coriander leaves and switch off,Serve hot with your favourite gravy

3. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Kolhapuri Chicken Curry
    ------------------------
    [​IMG]
    INGREDIENTS:

For Marination:
    ---------------
    Chicken Drumsticks - 1/2 kg
    Red chilly powder - 2 tbsp
    Turmeric - 1/2 tbsp
    Ginger garlic paste - 1 tbsp
    Lemon juice - 2 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    For Masala :
    Oil - 4 tbsp
    Cloves -4
    Green cardamom - 2
    Black cumin - 1 tbsp
    Coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
    Pepper corns - 1/2 tbsp(I used powder)
    Garlic pods chopped -3
    Star anise -1
    Bay Leaf -1
    Sesame seeds - 1 1/2 tbsp(I used powder)
    Onions sliced - 2 big
    Tomato Puree - 2 cups(click here for recipe)
    For Curry:
    -----------
    Oil - 1 tbsp
    Red chilli powder -2 tbsp
    Turmeric - 1 pinch
    Garam Masala - 3/4 tbsp
    Salt to taste
    METHOD:

Wash your chicken drumstick well under cold running water.Pat dry them on a kitchen towel.Make fine slits on them to allow the marination go in.Sprinkle all the ingredients mentioned under marination and give a good mix gently. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours..and over night is best.Take out from the fridge 30 min before you start cooking the chicken.
    Let us start preparing the masala meanwhile the chicken is getting all its flavors from marination.Start roasting all the spices in oil one by one.Add in the onions and fry till it is golden brown.Allow it to cool down and blend it into a smooth paste.If you add water also while grinding it is totally fine.
    Heat a tbsp of oil in a deep bottomed kadai and pour in the onion puree .Cook it for a minute and add tomato puree.Cook it for 5 minutes until raw smell goes off.Add in red chilly powder,turmeric salt.Mix well and cook it on low flame with covered lid for 5 minutes until the gravy is half thickened.
    Add in the marinated chicken pieces and cook it on low flame with a closed lid until the chicken turns soft.This would take a good amount of 30 minutes.Keep checking in between to avoid getting burnt.Adjust salt and pour in little water if you feel the curry thickens more than required.Sprinkle garam masala five minutes before you switch off the stove and serve hot with rotis or rice.

4. moukthika9

moukthika9 Gold IL'ite

yummyyyyyyyyy....I will try it for sure:)

5. spuppala

spuppala Gold IL'ite

Andhra Aratikaya Nuvvula Karam ( Andhra style raw plantain fry coated with spicy home made sesame powder)
    Cuisine : Andhra,India
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cooking/Grinding Time: 20 mins
    Recipe Level: Beginner

Spice Level: Medium
    Serves: 4 people
    Shelf Life: Best when its freshly eaten
    Serving Suggestion: With hot rice,rasam/sambar or curd rice
    fry.jpg
    INGREDIENTS:

1. Raw Plantain - 3
    2. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tbsp
    3. Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
    4. Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
    5. Cumin Powder - 1/2 tbsp
    6. Amchur(Dried mango powder) - 1/2 tbsp
    7. Roasted Sesame powder(will post recipe) - 3 tbsp
    8. Salt as required
    9. Oil - 4 tbsp

For Tempering:

1. Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
    2. Mustard - 1/2 tbsp
    3. Bengal gram - 1/2 tbsp
    4. Dried red chilli - 1
    5. Curry Leaves - 1 spring

METHOD:

Trim the both ends of the vegetable.Peel it and was it thoroughly. Attention! your hands could get dark while dealing this vegetable, so apply generous oil to you palms before starting off. Also the vegetable gets darker skin as time progresses so this process should be quick enough.Chop them in your desired shape but bigger ones holds good to me and add it to the water until you cook them.
    Take water into a sauce pan and heat them for 5 minutes, add the vegetable and sprinkle little turmeric powder(no salt please).Cook for approx 5-7 min until the vegetables is tender and make sure you not over do it else you won't get the expected result. Drain the water immediately and keep them aside.
    Take a wide non-stick pan(strictly) and heat oil.Once heated add in the items listed under tempering and you will hear sizzling sounds and you kitchen smells aromatic! When they turn little brown add the veggies and keep flipping for 5 minutes.And make sure you not break the pieces anyhow. Sprinkle all spice powders and salt except sesame powder and cook for 5 more minutes by mixing it well.
    Add sesame powder and mix well. Roast the vegetable well until golden crust forms or if you want leave it soft,its up to you.But for me, roasting more works fine.Sprinkle loads of chopped coriander and serve!

1 person likes this.