Kashmir Trip

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by Aparna77, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    I am planning to visit Kashmir for a 3 or 4 days trip around 20 Nov 2012. Is it safe to visit the place? What are the places to visit? Do we need heavy woollens too?:)

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI Aparna:

There are a few threads in the travel forum that might give you some information about places to visit in Kashmir.

I visited Jammu & Kashmir in May of 2010 just before the riots broke at Srinagar. Infact another Indusladies member went around the time of unrest but mention that despite the numerous security checks everywhere, her trip was memorable. And now in 2012, the situation is stable, Indian movies are being shot in Kashmir. That I think is a sign that things are getting better in the state. So you definitely can plan a trip to Kashmir taking the necessary precautions.

For 3-4 days, I think you can cover Jammu and Srinagar. You can cover the temples of Jammu in a day and then proceed to Srinagar. Make a stop at Patnitop on the way. In Srinagar, make a visit to the Mughal gardens (there are quite a few), Dal and Nagin lakes, the Hari Parbhat fort, Kheer Bhawani temple, Hazratbal Mosque and Shankaracharya temple. The gardens may not have much to see since you will be visiting while the winter is setting in. You could also visit Kheer Bhawani temple, Avantipura ruins and Amar Mahal Palace and Museum. Pehalgam, Gulmarg and Sonmarg are a day trip each. You could possibly visit Gulmarg since there are winter skiing opportunities here.

You will need woollens but may not be the heavy ones.

Check out this thread below on Kashmir.
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/travel/103292-srinagar-trip-dream-come-true.html

Have a wonderful trip.

Sindhu

2 people like this.
  3. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aparna
    I think you can easily visit Kashmir now. Movies are being shot there now and the situation is by and large peaceful. I am myself just back from a visit to Kashmir. You must visit the Shalimar Gardens and Nishat Gardens and the Chasme- shahi. Stay in a houseboat for one night. Take a shikara ride in Dal lake. You should also visit Gulmarg and Pahalgam. You can choose to spend a night at Pahalgam also_One thing you should do is to get your hotel bookings done before hand. Most packages today involve pickup by car from the airport and drop back by car at the airport.

2 people like this.
  4. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    Thanks Sindhu Rao and Sushma for your comments.
    Sushma, I have heard of the Shalimar and Nishat Gardens, but what is the Chasme-Sahi!

5. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aparna
    I visited Kashmir about 15 days ago. You dont need very heavy woollens. In Srinagar, at present days are sunny and night temperatures are quite cold. But hotel rooms are warm and you need not worry. It is quite chilly and windy up in Gulmarg but you can hire extra jackets before starting the gondola ride.
    At present Kashmir is full of tourists and you need not worry.

6. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Aparna
    Chasma-e-sahi is a ancient mountain spring. There is a well laid out garden all round it. It is very near the Pari Mahal.
    The locals have very high regard for the quality of the water. My guide told me that Pandit Nehru, the first prime minister of India was particularly fond of this water and used to regularly drink it.