1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling depressed about not achieving

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by abc00, Nov 13, 2012.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

OP:
    I will give you some things that helped me previously:

1. Get personality testing (which is done at job centers sometimes) that can help you zero in on jobs that are good for your personality. Example: if you are very outgoing and thrive on that, you might want sales jobs. If you are introverted, you might like editing. Meyers-Briggs testing was very helpful for me. From there you are delete jobs that will go against your basic personality. Jobs good for personality will be easier for success.

2. Go to a professional writer of resumes. That person will objectively figure out your strengths and write the resume that highlights those. The question and answer process that this entails will be enlightening for you about what you really have to offer.

3. Always remember: in a good job market you have on average to send out 200 resumes to get a good job. Each denial is getting you one step further to that good job. Have nerves of iron during this process. It can break down the best of us.

1 person likes this.
  2. FreeSpirit20

FreeSpirit20 Platinum IL'ite

Hi abc, I know how depressing it is to be on an H4. I have more than 4 years of IT experience in India, I came early this year to US on H4 and have been regretting not taking my job seriously, not trying for an H1 in my previous job and resigning to come here. :(

I realized I just cannot stay at home. I started planning my future better, prepared a resume asap and put up on almost all job sites. Initially I got some calls, but as expected they would not go ahead for H4s. I got even depressed thinking this is how few more years might go. But we are not that well financially and I felt we needed two pays to fulfill our dreams. Meanwhile I did not find new friends, just diverted mind doing some silly surveys etc online, blogging and cooking. And unlike you, I could not look and behave fine too, always told DH how I miss my career and would do anything to get back to it. I even closed off myself, was not in touch with any friends.

But from past one month, things are looking better. I still haven't got a job but there have been some companies interested in giving H1 sponsor jobs. Just last week, I got an assignment to complete in 3 days. It felt so good to actually do a project and read though I haven't heard back from them. And I have an interview from another company in 2 days. I'm even prepared for relocation where my DH could later shift.

I really hope I land a job by next year. If not, I'm not sure what else I would do, might take up voluntary works.

I want to tell you to keep trying harder, meet as many people and make connections as much as you can, they will be very helpful. And try taking up any voluntary jobs that can keep you updated. And strengthen you resume which might already be good because of the courses you did. Also don't think any low of yourself at all, be confident as I feel you have made very good use of your time till now.

I just wanted to share my story as well, because I felt mine to be similar.

1 person likes this.
  3. ashwinid01

ashwinid01 Gold IL'ite

Hello Dear OP,

Just want to remind you that it's alwys darkest before the dawn. Even am sailing in the same boat like you. Worked for top MNC in India, but after marriage came to diff country where English is not at all used, CV started losing Value.. Did Language course.. Applied for all sorts of Jobs.. Some interviews were awesome but still dint get job, finally am doing intership job with very basic pay.. 3 more mnths to go.. Just praying that i continue in same job after internship...

Even though pay is way too less, am happy and satisfied cos am working.. It keeps me occupied and hence i takes my mind off everything. Initially i felt very bad that all my colleagues and friends are leading teams and am just starting as intern, but now i have made my peace with this situation and try to be happy in this small oppurtunity what i have got.

Nothing is that bad.. Let small start not hurt your ego...Just be sure of what you want. Be focussed and positive.

1 person likes this.
  4. whatisaguytodo

whatisaguytodo Gold IL'ite

If you have no current work experience it's going to be a bit hard but it's still possible. It's going to take a bit of time though. The first step is to volunteer. Companies love people who volunteer. If you live in big city it's amazing because there are so many opportunities. E.g If you volunteer at a research foundation and do a good job you will also have your foot in the door to any jobs that might open up. Take anything and then work your way up from there. Second when you volunteer you will meet a lot of interesting people and you can network that way. It's not what you know, it's who you know.

2 people like this.
  5. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

abc, easiest way is to approach a desi consultant, have them process your h1.. Most of the desi consultants are good at modifying resumes, giving you training and help you get your first job... Try for BA or QA positions or companies that provide training and sponsor h1 (you will be paying the h1 fees), that should be a great way to find a job..Once you find your first job, it will be pretty easier to find the next one.. In order to get a break through, find a desi consultant who trains and places consultants, work aggressively with them and get a job.. good luck.. I have seen so many of H4 friends doing this and they are in top positions now.. Don't worry about the career gap, leave it to some IT consulting company.. they will help you..

1 person likes this.