1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

7 yr old and beauty conscious!

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by hemchi, Nov 5, 2012.

1. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

My daughter is almost 7 year old and much conscious about how she looks! She has long hair and is interested only in doing different hair styles. How do I explain to her that the first thing is hygiene, studies and health than beauty/fashion/style? I can see peer pressure in her, her class mates (most of them have short hair) either leave their hair or tie up a pony make fun of her, it seems! Sometimes I feel like giving her a short hair cut...but she really loves her hair!
    Apart from this after coming home from school, she wants to be in party wears and wants to look like a princess or like a Barbie!
    Her talks also revolve around wearing shining clothes, hair bands, party slippers, etc! In no time, those nice dresses get dirty due to the mischief se does around the house. How to minimize this and divert her to the practical world, without hurting her?
    None of her favorite cartoon characters, either Barbie or Chotta Bheem go to school and study...they are all either looking good and dressed up, playing or trying to attack a problem and gain a treasure or something. Although she understands they are cartoons and are not real, she seems to have built an imaginary world around her with such characters!
    How do I bring her to the real world, where she needs to do some work towards her studies? She's just in 1st standard and I make her study/homework for less than an hour on week days. In that period also, she takes around 3 breaks! Her concentration span is probably 10 minutes only!
    Moms of girls must have gone through one or the other that I am experiencing. Please help me with the tips that worked for you.

Regards,
    Hema

1 person likes this.

2. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

hema,

she is only 7, you say. 10 minutes attention span is very good for that age. She is very young and she will improve as she grows older. Let her enjoy now.

For now, slowly decrease the amount of time she spends on such cartoon TV shows. Encourage her to watch the shows you approve of. Watch with her and discuss what happened, why that heroine is good, or worthy of approval. This is a good age to divert her into reading. Buy some nice Amar chitra katha stories. You pick the subjects you want and read them to her. She will slowly come to realize all that is also important.

sindmani likes this.
  3. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

She is only 7 and I think wanting to dress up is common at that age. I don't have a 7 yr old so I don't know. But my niece is 4 and she wants to dress like a princess and wants to wear nailpolish, get her hair done...etc

You can try explaining her slowly.

sindmani likes this.
  4. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the replies. Agree with you both. I normally take it a little easy on wanting to looking good. But there are days, when her talks are only that and I get worked up :)

Regards,
    Hema

5. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Happens Hema, I have a princess of 5 years. She either talks of Barbie or of bheem at any given point of time.
    I told her they are all good and nice but what about Bheem's mom - where is she, i see only chutki's mom ( i hope you know chutki). For that she has no answer. I told her since Bheem doesnot wear proper clothes and doesnot go to school or read/write his mom does not like him much.
    She too says, why does he not study/ why does he not go home ever.. why does he not eat anything except laddoos, but again when the cartoon come up - she forgets eveything.

Kids!!! you see.

Barbie -- my DD is wondering how her hair is always so nice even when barbie gets up from sleep her hair is done so well. She again says they all are just dolls not humans.
    But when barbie comes on TV she is just glued to it.

I have learnt to take things easy now given the fact that she is only 5. :)

sindmani likes this.
  6. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

7. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

Hi

My DD was little like that always thinking about being Barbie and all. I too was worried, her concentration was low. But luckily I got some good activities that she likes a lot, and can sit for long time for those. I encouraged her in those activities (she learnt emboss painting, glass painting during summer vacation, and she jus loves doing). At home, I encouraged her doing these. She was able to do for 2-3 hrs without taking break. And, later on, all moms of our apartment started to encourage kids to play outdoor, and then she slowly changed now. She doens't anymore too much fascinated, but yes, whenever we buy clothes, she wants to buy of good looking kind of princess dresses only.

8. poojask

poojask New IL'ite

hi hema
    i thot u were talking abt my daughter...she is also 7 yrs.
    its a phase...but u need to set some rules for her.....no hw=no play/tv.
    also try that she watches some other programs then barbies n princesses.
    may b u can ask her teacher or ur trusted friend to talk to her(dont let her knw that u asked them to}

dont worry...its a phase n it shall pass too.....cheer up.

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hema
    My nieces too were the same when 5years old but slowly my sister got them enrolled to music and dance classes so their obsession has reduced.... Even now whenever my sis has to go to any marriage or some such functions she no longer have to worry about getting her DDs ready she just puts away the dresses they like to wear all matching accessories and everything they manage themselves... they are aged 8 and 6 now... So there is positive as well as negative shades only we need to turn them to positive with tact..

10. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Thanks Shalu for your response. Whatever you say is just the same with my daughter. She has some kids around to play, but even when these girls play its all about these cartoons! Yesterday I was just around when they were playing...and it was a mock game of Chotta bheem and my daughter was Princess Indumathi! Wish they were more creative!
    I do have rules for her and she has to finish her HW and do some studies. Again there, she keeps looking for 'break's. She loves drawing...so I encourage her more on that.

sindmani likes this.