Navaratri plans??

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by csyde, Sep 19, 2011.

1. csyde

csyde Silver IL'ite

As Devi Navaratri days are fast approaching, Please share your plans on how to celebrate your navaratri.
    I have a plan to read Durga saptasati atleast once and reading LSnamam daily. Hope so with Devi's grace.
    I am listening to LSNamam discourse in telugu by sri Changanti Koteswara Rao to understand the meanings of the words while chanting. Just started.
    Please share your plans too..
    Bye,
    Preethi

2. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, I will be also interested in reading Lalitha Sahasra Namam during navratri, can you guide when to read it ??

3. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

Durga Saptsati has 13 chapters.

reciting the Durga Saptasati, deep wishes can be fulfilled. :

. Read the Mantras by keeping the Saptasati on a wooden stool, after putting the new cloth on it.
    Reading should not be done silently and in hurry.

4. pumpkin01

pumpkin01 Platinum IL'ite

Hi, thanks for replying but I don't have any photo of Goddess Durga and also do we have to read it on any particualr time and also do we have to fast ?? I mean I have never done but if you can give a clear idea it might help.

Also thanks for sharing the specialities of each day of navratri :)

5. csyde

csyde Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your replies pumpkin and tnkesaven.

Tnkesaven,
    I have a question regarding the saptasati parayana. I am planning to recite the book I have in 3 days (did not decide which 3 days) (some chapters are allocated for each day - mostly early in the morning).
    a) What are the specific slokas to be recited before and after the parayana for each day? Can you please list them.
    b) Do I need to fast or what is the naivedyam I have to offer to Durga devi on those days?
    c) Also, any other rituals to be performed after reciting saptasati? I am planning to get the chandi homam done in India in my husband's name. I can do that only from here. Any suggestions onwhat else needs to be done?

Thanks in advance,
    Preethi

6. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

Navaratri is also called Dasara (Dasha Hara), which means the cutting the ten heads of Ravana (who signifies the demon Ego). The story of Sri Rama is known in almost all parts of the globe. Navaratri highlights the principles elucidated by the Ramayana. (Ramayana Navaahnam reciting the whole Ramayana in Nine days is a special feature observed these days.
    The Following are the regular features of this festival:
    A special ritualistic worship of the Mother Durga; this includes the recitation of Durga Saptashati or Devi Mahatmaya.
    Recitation of Lalaitha Sahasrnama or Durga Sahasranama (Laksharchana 100,000 times too repeat the name of the Divine Mother)
    Devotees are exhorted to do the maximum number of Japa of the Navaarna Mantra AIM HREEM KLEEM CHAAMUNDAAYAI VICHHE or the Mantra JAI SHRI DURGA.
    Some devotees observe fasting with milk and fruits only on all these nine days or at least three days. Visiting Temples and participating in-group chanting and seeking the blessings of the Divine Mother is the common feature in all these nine days.
    Let us celebrate Dasara in the right spirit by making honest efforts to destroy the demon Ego, the ten headed i.e. passion, pride ,anger ,greed, infatuations, lust, hatred, jealousy, selfishness and crookedness) and radiate peace and love wherever we go, and get the blessings of the Divine Mother.
    Three aspects of the eternal smother has been depicted in this Devi Sapta Shloki -The Goddess Lakshmi represents Iccha shakti (wealth) Goddess Saraswati represents Jnana Shakti (knowledge) and Goddess Kali represent Kriya Shakti (strength). All three merge in one form as Durga.

The glory of Durga is described in Markendeya Purana,. It is known as Devi Mahatmyam or Durga Sapta sati (700 Mantras). Allegorical representation of the constant war going on within all of us--- between our divine and demonic natures. In the Saptasati legend every dominant passion and vice has its special Demon representative. Shumbha is the embodiment of Lust, Nishumbha is Greed and Mashishasura represents Anger.

We celebrate Victory of Good over the evil. Durga sapta shloki (the seven mantras) is the essence of the Durga Sapta sati (seven hundred mantras). It is very powerful to achieve Health, wealth and education.

Bija Mantra of Goddess Durga is to be recited silently for meditation.

Om hréà çréà kléà durgati näçinyai mahämäyäyai svähä ||
    çré durgä sapta çloké ||

om asya çré çré durgä sapta çloké stotra mantrasya näräyaëa åñiù
    anuñöubh chandaù çré mahäkäøé çré mahä lakñmé çré mahä sarasvatyoo devatäù
    çré durgämbä prétyarthaà sapta çloké durgä päöhe viniyogaù

1. om jïäninä mapi cetäàsi devé bhagavaté hi sä
    balädäkåñya mohäya mahä mäyä prayachcati ||

2. om durge småtä harasi bhéti maçeña jantooù
    svasthaiù småtä mati matéva çubhäà dadäsi
    däridrya duùkha bhayahäriëi kä tvadanyä
    sarvopakära karaëäya sadärdra cittä||

3. om sarva maìgaøa mäìgalye çive sarvärtha sädhike
    çaraëye tryambike devi näräyaëi namostute ||

4. om çaraëägata dénärta pariträëa paräyaëe
    sarvasyärti hare devi narayaëi namostute ||

5. om sarva svarüpe sarveçe sarva çakti samanvite
    bhayebhyaù trähi noo devé durge devi namostute||

6. om roogänaçeñä napahaàsi tuñöhä
    ruñöätu kämän sakalän abhéñöhän
    tvä mäçritänäà na vipannaräëäà
    tvä mäçritä hi äçrayatäm prayänti||

7. om sarva bädhä praçamanaà trailokya syäkhileçvari
    evameva tvayä käryaà asmat vairi vinäçanam ||

om çantiù çantiù çantiùhi
    Attached Files
    DURGA SAPTHA SLOKI PPS.pps‎ (160.5 KB, 559 views)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  7. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

the text is taken from -sunkan dated 21 may 2008-http://www.indusladies.com/forums/blogs/sunkan/durga-saptha-sloki-pps-presentation-659/

8. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Tnkesavan
    Thanks for sharing these valuable info.
    Dear Csyde
    Thanks for starting this wonderful thread.

I used to chant Lalitha sahasranamam, Sobhanam and Devi padam. On friday and Tuesday, will do Sahasranama archana with kumkum and flowers.
    Will avoid onion, garlic and masalas on those days.

9. srisha15

srisha15 New IL'ite

Hi Meena,
    I am looking for lyrics of lalitha ambal shobanam in tamil. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can download the same?

10. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Our Guru being Shirdi SAIBABA, Maa Lakshmi, Durga, Saraswathi Is our Sayee and

hence we will do Parayan of Sai Satcharitra for Navrathri and seek blessings.

Om sri satchitdanandaya namaha: