1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dealing with hurtful remarks

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Gitasri, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Gitasri

Gitasri New IL'ite

Dear All,
    I have been a silent reader and my first thread here. Live in a joint family MIL, FIL, GMIL, DH and my child. Work full time . Have all the regular joint family issues and somehow manage to keep myself sane and at peace. I can write a book on them, but unfortunately time does not permit :)

My Mom and Dad live in a different city. I visited them recently and came back. On the day I returned, I got a call saying my mom is dehydrated and hospitalised. Though I wanted to go back,my dad thought it would be difficult for me to travel back the same day with a little one and told me not come. My mom recovered in a day and is fine.

Two days later , today morning I got a call in my cell phone around 7:00 am. I was getting my child ready to school and in a hurry was searching for phone. MIL says " Call for you so early morning. Your mom is unwell. Hopefully no bad news". This just brought tears to me. DH completely understands the situation, but would not stand up because 'peace' will be spoilt.

I am moving on, but how to let go of this. Whenever I have similar experiences, I thank GOD for teaching me 'How not to be in Life', and belive this too shall pass.

have a nice day, Lovely ladies.

2. Onesweetlife

Onesweetlife Gold IL'ite

Dear Gita,

That is so rude of ur MIL. Her comment is not just hurting , it shows how cruel mentality she has!.

Kudos to your patience.

This too will pass on is the good idealogy. At times we have no other better option.

Hugs to you..

Cheers,
    Sweetlife

3. divyapnair

divyapnair New IL'ite

Whenever I face similar situation, I console myself saying that "this is how he/she is bought up. My parents have bought me up in a better way." I tell this to myself 10 times and pity on them. It works for me . :)

And Yes.. This too shall pass...

6 people like this.
  4. riyagan

riyagan Gold IL'ite

what a cruel monster MILs are...give it back nicely that she never make such remarks in future! tell here nobody gonna live forever and everbody has to leave one day and the cruel ones like u will hav a painful end and will go only to hell.

5. sarajara

sarajara Gold IL'ite

Hi gitasri,

I suppose this is some word that your MIL blurted out.
    some people do not think of how their words would affect people.

They do not talk purposely but then they are not aware that they are talking something bad.
    Just chill and tell this to your DH so that he points out next time MIL makes such comments.

If she goes on to make that a trend, just ignore her words and behave as if she does not exist.. that should give her the clues.

dont worry about things and concentrate on your mother and child now..

1 person likes this.
  6. shwetanayak8

shwetanayak8 Senior IL'ite

you know what my MIL said, though my MIL and BIL and Hubby had been very poor financially and were brought up with great difficulty, my hubby bought a car in 2010 but due to financial issues my hubby though to sell it, when my MIL came to know about it she said why the hell are you selling the car , what if i(MIL) fall ill and want to go to hospital do you think ill go on your two wheller wreck scooter?? NO i want 4 wheeler

she says she will get a co sister for me soon after marrying the younger BIL and they both MIL and co sister will come and live with us and trouble me.. I sai" Ill not allow kachra to enter into my house"

7. Hopefully

Hopefully Gold IL'ite

I really admire your patience Gitasri.

8. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

The OP can not chill. Because as you r saying the MIL has not blurted out those words unknowingly. It is an act of willfull preplanned hurt by her MIL.

As MILs are themselves women, they know it too well what hurts a woman maximum. Then the MILs plan their words.....rehearse it a few times within mind......edit it with more venomous words......then speak it to the DILs. The DILgets hurt......that is seen in her face.......that brings cheer to the MIL.

The above would be the oft-repeated sequence in 99% of MILs. Of course 1% of MILs are really good and free from prejudice too. Not all women r lucky to have the later.

3 people like this.
  9. sandhyapal

sandhyapal Bronze IL'ite

this would be good reply ...
    many of the MIL need this type of replies but they remain on our tounge they dont come out to reply them

1 person likes this.
  10. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

You know.. I never thought of it this way !!! :bowdown:bowdown Thank you.. it's enlightenment day :)

1 person likes this.