1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

bonding with eight month old baby mothers please guide me.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by rharini8182, Aug 31, 2012.

1. rharini8182

rharini8182 Senior IL'ite

Dear friends, I am having eight month old baby boy. From the day he was born i am not finding him attached to me. He will calm down once my mum or mil will take him up but once he sees me he will start crying. I am very much attached to him and i love him a lot. But he used to go away from me always. He used to search me only at the time of feeding and sleeping. Other time even when i used to spend time with him like playing, singing lullabies he will listen but start crying within short span of time. I used to kiss him, cuddle him etc to make him comfortable. But he is not comfortable with me. He is comfortable with all. Now he had started crawling. All my apartment people are very much attached with him and he too expresses the same to them. I am not jealous. But when i go there to take him he cries and refuses to come. He will go to my hubby a lot and he loves him. But not me. He used to search me just at the time of his bm feed. Sometime he used to play with me but othertime he used to cry. I am very much scared of keeping with him alone with me as he used to cry a lot and show some signs of resistance to be with me. I dont know how to bond with him. I want my baby to be attached with me. I am ready for everything. I want to show him that i am his mother. He should smile by seeing me. He should be happy to come to me. He should love me. Kindly guide me.

2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Harini
    Hugs to you dear...

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rharini hugs to you. I can understand how bad you might be feeling. First don't feel scared to keep him alone with you. Babies can also sense fear. Initially he would cry, show him toys, take him out, distract him from crying. How are your mil and mum handling him? Can you try the same? Are you working?

4. snehanjali486

snehanjali486 New IL'ite

Hi Harini,

I'm sailing in the same boat. i have a 7 months baby boy. He is more attached to my mom rather me. he always comes to me only when he is hungry.other than he never stays with me.but i feel the difference the way my mom takes care of him.being first time mom and working , i cant even engage him properly for more time. i see there is lot of difference how my mom and dad takes care of him compared to me.that is the reason why he is more interested towards them. Try the way how your mom and mil are caring him. anyways dont worry,they will become closer to you.

5. rharini8182

rharini8182 Senior IL'ite

I am not working currently...I am finding him very difficult to handle whenever he is with me...I used to give him toys and do all sort of things that my mil and mother will do...But he doesn't like the same...I used to give him night cerelac. But he wants to take the same only in our neighbour's house. They are nice people with no kids. They are nearing age 60's. He dont want to have cerelac at our home. If i struggle and distract him he will refuse to eat or cry. But the moment he goes there he used to have it and return with smiling face. One day they went to their hometown. I found it very tough time to handle. Meanwhile even in the day time he refuses to have porridge at our home and want to move to their home. Somehow i am not for the same. I am really not that kind of a reserved person. Even in my school days i used to get along with kindergarden kids and they used to run and come to me once they saw me. I am having good number of friends circulation also. I am not a moody type. But my mil is happy that my kid is attached to her than me and she shows that symbolically in her actions and that is making me upset a lot. My husband used to tell me " see how my son is attached to me". I am feeling really low. Kindly guide me. Even apartment people says " this kid never wants mummy...he never search even her..he is dad's pet...he is our pet". I agree to it. Yes he is like that. But i cant control myself. I cant be magnanimous in this aspect. I want my kid to bond with me. I want him to search and come to me with interest and love. I am not doing any household work nowadays. I am always with my kid like a mad and playing with him only. But i am a useless mother.

6. Visasri

Visasri Platinum IL'ite

You need to put an end to the words that say your kid is not attached to you dear. I know how bad you will feel when all around you say this. Try this method a child psychiatrist taught in a class I attended. When a baby sleeps, the mom has to keep her right hand on the head and tell out in whisper what has to be done. It is better when done early in the morning. You can see changes soon. First, you need to stop thinking that the baby is not attached to you. It is all negative vibes dear. Kudos in your endeavour

sindmani likes this.
  7. gswathi

gswathi Bronze IL'ite

Hi dear,
    Just calm down...no one can replace a mother...your kid will soon understand this....and remember no one else can break the bond between a mother and her kid.....
    i can understand your feelings...first you just clear off your mind from all these negative thoughts (like he loves everyone except you)....try to find what makes him uncomfortable when he is with you(like your dress,jewels or the way you hold)...even you cant figure out dont bother.....talk with him as much as possible during bf time and sleeping time...tell him that his mother loves him so much...use the bf time as much as possible to connect with him...touch him,kiss him,play and laugh with him...
    your lo is just eight months old...give him some more time....soon he will understand about relationships and he will come closer to you....
    p.s-move this thread to parenting and kids forum..the thread may get more attention and many experts can guide you well...