1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Plastic Free Kitchen!!

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by nihasvin, May 15, 2012.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

kavithat way to go.. i have also stopped non-stick except for dosa.. i have started using tefal stainless steel ones..

i have very unstable hands and that is one reason no glass..but coffee/tea/water or in ceramic mugs/steel glasses..

i store water in flask..vacuum flask for regular drinking.. the kids lose the drinking water bottles frequently so it is tupperware..

i store batter, curds in stainless steel..pickles, ready to eat in glass jars/bottles..

i use plastic, but again i wrap in nutirwrap most of the times.. and i use a lot of alumimium foil..i realised only as i write this..

way to go....

1 person likes this.
  2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

3. soumya234

soumya234 Platinum IL'ite

Dewdrop those codes are for plastic containers.Every item made of plastic has a number printed below to indicate the kind of resin they use to make that plastic. Usually 5 and above are food grades that are reusuable.Use and throw mineral water bottles are usually with 1.But a few years back, they found that plastics with no.7 and that were microwave safe too found to leach chemical(BPA) to food while microwaving.Only after that now we get BPA free plastics.I read that it is mandatory to have all baby bottles BPA free.So try to avoid plastic as much as you can.If you can't atleast buy BPA free ones.

4. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

Interesting thread. I remember how my grandma used to store groceries in stainless steel boxes. Salt, home-made pickles in ceramic pots, stainless steel plates and tumblers for daily use. I look at my kitchen now and I see plastic everywhere. need to reduce as much as I can.

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

For older kids like high schoolers is there any decent lunch box options?

6. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

this is a useful thread.till now i am having all groceries in stainless steel containers only.but when i saw those transparent plastic containers at many houses i am tempted to change mine also. but after seeing this thread, i will not go for plastic jars. but health drinks like d-protein, horlicks comes in plastic jars. then they will be of food grade only.isn't it? then y cant we store groceries in them. they are dry items only.i am confused. any idea about this,please?:confused2:

7. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Lovely Post and Pointers...Good that we are moving out of plastics...I have seen so many Moms giving food with plastic Bowls and Spoons...They take so much pride in using them ..I totally hate Plastics especially those used for children

8. malarun

malarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Shanvy,

Is the ceramic water dispenser available in Chennai if yes please let me know where I can get it...

thanks
    Malar

9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Malar,

I think there is a different type available in chennai..this i bought when we were in bahrain..it has travelled to muscat and now to chennai.

here you go..this was shared by another ilite honeybee and i am yet to visit.
    Desi Basic - Clay Kitchenware

1 person likes this.
  10. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Ami, in india people very largely use tupper ware.. but i still am with the traditional two tier box for lunch and small extra boxes for the vegetables..or they get soggy in the sambar rice/mixed rice..and the water bottles are sipper stainless steel 1 ltr bottles..that i picked up last month after searching for so long..