Bollywood movies

Discussion in 'Northern and Central Indian States' started by NitiSaini, Aug 20, 2012.

1. NitiSaini

NitiSaini Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    Some Bollywood directors have strong links to rural India. This gets reflected in their films. I am talking of Tier II & Tier III towns and cities. These directors are able to whip up cinematic magic and tell a story which charms all of India. More and more Indians are able to identify the locales and character of such movies as compared to those glossy Yash Chopra movies shot in Western Europe.

The film I have in mind is Bunty and Babli. The film is directed by Shaad Ali and stars Big B, Ahishek Bachchan, Aishwarya, Rani Mukherjee. As the film begins, the voiceover tells of "small towns". The film is about ambitions of Abhishek and Rani- who belong to a small town. It is a tightly knit story.

I feel more and more movies based in the hinterland are being made today and are attracting crowds. What say ILites!

2. Mriduala22

Mriduala22 New IL'ite

Hi
    I largely agree with what you have pointed out. Many such movies are being made which portray India as it is - warts and all. They show congested locales and tiny houses as far cry from the manicured lawns and European tours of DDLJ. Even the recently released movie Kahaani starring Vidya Balan, showed the warts of big city Kolkata- tiny rooms reached after long corridors with peeping neighbours.
    I think the trend started with the famous Shyam Benegal movie - Welcome to Sajjanpur starring Shreyas Talpade and Amrita Rao. it appeared that everyone had a name starting/ending with Ram in the film. The film was a surprise hit.

3. Ashapatel

Ashapatel Junior IL'ite

Hi Niti
    I want to make a point. DDLJ was a classic. I am a die hard fan of Yash Chopra films and the songs of his films.

Having said that, it is true that of late we have a couple of films which appear to be shot in the hinterland. Therefore shooting in states like UP/Bihar/Madhya Pradesh/rural Maharashtra appears to be the flavour of the moment. Off hand, I can recall the following movies:
    1.Ishqiya which was shot in Gorakhpur.
    2.Gangs of Wasseypur I & II based on a character in Dhanbad, Jharkhand
    3.Paan Singh Tomar shot in Chambal, MadhyaPradesh
    4.Ishqzaade based in UP

Unlike previous bollywood movies, the movie directors have taken pains and incorporated authenticity wherever possible from the dialect (including cuss words) to even ensuring an ordinary look to the costume of the female lead. I have heard that most of these new directors hail from these places and are able to ensure both authenticity and a feel of the touch of the soil to the films.

4. Aparna77

Aparna77 Senior IL'ite

Hi
    But I cant stand all the choicest Hindi abuses. Too much for me... Give me good hindi romances anyday.

5. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Asha
    I have seen all these movies you have written about. I like them.
    These new directors have given a new colour to the Bollywood landscape. Once reason why these films appear so authentic is that the directors are able to bring alive on the screen their own personal experiences. Many of these new directors actually belong to the small towns of India. Here is a brief list:
    1.Film maker, Composer and Singer Vishal Bhardwaj was raised in Meerut.
    2.Director Anurag Kashyap grew up in Varanasi
    3.Director Ahishek Chaubey of Ishqiya fame grew up in Faizabad.
    4.Director Tigmanshu Dhulia grew up in Allahabad.
    The success of their movies means that the public is hungry for more