1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How many of you "LADIES" don't drive inspite of being in US for more than 2 years????

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by SriPriya123, Aug 12, 2012.

1. disillusion

disillusion Senior IL'ite

Re: How many of you "LADIES" don't drive inspite of being in US for more than 2 years

When I first came to US, I was a student. I didn't have much money to afford a car. Also not much sense to realize I could have rented and learnt driving. I got my license only two years after marriage. Learnt in the worst possible way. Husband by my side yelling. In the end I got my license without difficulty with praise from instructor. I was nervous in the beginning and did not go on freeways but now I am more accustomed. I do everything myself and do not depend on my husband. I am surprised to hear that so many ladies are having are having lack of confidence. Driving here is much easier than India. It's better to have a license. The best thing to to do is just take a few lessons from a driving school. The intructors are very calm and wont shout. do

2. SimpleGirl

SimpleGirl Gold IL'ite

Re: How many of you "LADIES" don't drive inspite of being in US for more than 2 years

I've been US since last 3 years... but still dont drive.. Though I started working last year, but never needed to drive.. My first job was in Downtown, so took the city bus... and the my second job is in the same company as my husband.. so carpooling ;)

I have my road test next month.. I hope I clear it in first attempt...

3. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

After coming to US for 2 yrs I do not bothered to learn driving here as my DH is always ready to be my driver but now I need to pick up my child from school so no choice but I personally like to drive and independent as far as possible. I just took 2 lessons from instructor he said u r quick learner. I learned reversing and parking by myself of course with the guidance from my DH. Though he shouted at me a lot while practicing my 7yr old son used to make him quiet by saying 'Don't shout at my mom she is learning not an expert' and now only I drive the car everywhere and hubby sits besides me. He says I expect more from u not mistakes. I am quiet confident now but yet to give behind the wheel test. Currently I am at difficult situation as my son's school is about to start and my visa extension is also in process so I might hv to wait for my permanent license. So I recalled one thing again "Better late than never, but never late is better".

1 person likes this.
  4. Flyingsparks

Flyingsparks Silver IL'ite

Well it's been 3.5 yrs for me..still i don't drive..though i was ready to learn, since beginning,inspite of having international DL from india ...dh was tooo scared,hesitant to let me drive..i asked,asked,pleaded..finally after 1 yr he started teaching me and it's still going on & on..i hate it here..i was an toes back in india..i had a bike, car..i never had to depend on my dad to take me out anytime..before i had vehicle i used to go by bus..
    As of now i use bus to go to libary or somewhere else..the public transport in our city is v v v bad..i asked dh about public transport when i first came to Usa.. he din't tell me a bit.infact he never told me or guided me in anything..i myself explored in google.when i was confident enough..i started taking the bus.i was lost a couple of times.managed to reach home though..
    Gradually i expanded my journey in the bus..it is difficult and takes a lot of strain and lot of time is wasted..but it is nice experience....i go where ever i want when i feel low,bored or depressed...i go to library,parks etc...
    But for all the shopping,groceries,meeting friends etc i have to depend on dh and i hate it...
    I gave my D test two months ago.i failed in parallel parking.again i have to practice and give it..planning to give it in a month or two..for that i have ask,plead dh..hummm.. Damn h4, damn life in usa..it's ****ing hell here..

1 person likes this.
  5. preetim22

preetim22 New IL'ite

NO because i don't have my driving license.

6. Sherykhaja

Sherykhaja New IL'ite

Hai friend,

Iam staying in Abu dhabi.i heard that ladies can earn from home through internet.but dont know which website is helpful bcse they are charging some amt.so im doubt whether it is fake or not.could you please explain how you are working at home.
    Regards

Shery

7. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hmm,flyingsparks...same pinch!

8. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies,
    Had a query about driving lessons rates in US.Didnt want to start another thread ,so asking here.Hope thats fine.
    Whats a reasonable rate for one-one private lessons in the U.S? From what I see,some are really costly($ 190 for 2hrs to 100/2 hrs) .And they charge so much for drop and pick-up.
    In a 2 hr session,only 1 hr is for driving,the other hour is for observing the other student.They are charging double for each student and only allowing them to drive one hr each.Is this the norm here? Do you really learn from observing from the back seat?

Please guide me so that I can make a decision.

9. Pranjjal

Pranjjal Gold IL'ite

I paid $70 for 2hrs i.e one lesson and I was the only 1 student while taking my lessons. He used to pick me up and drop me at home but I don't know about ur state. You can look in craglist also of ur area,you may find indian instructor also there.

10. imageofgod

imageofgod New IL'ite

Hi,

Yes... after 4 long years just got my driver's license after going to six 2 hrs classes and per class is $80... I was just too fussy about it as I have not even tried riding a cycle in India. Now as there is no other option my kids have grown and have to pick them up from school I just came out of the shell and I feel so good driving in the US. The best thing that happened in my life is getting a dl here... I fell in love with my car now.. hahaha!! But I am particular that we all go as a family for groceries esp with my hubby dear.. I dont mind driving with him but I insist him to come with me..!!!

IMOG