Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Gopvan

Gopvan Senior IL'ite

Yesterday I made Cabbage Chutney (!!!!) to go with toor dhall dosai. I am not sure if somebody else has already posted it. But i really got inspired by reading all the recipes, thought I will also share this.

cabbage - shredded 1 big bowl
    Green chillies- 4or 5( can add more if you like spicy chutney )
    Oil- 2 tsp
    Coriander seeds - 1tsp
    Jeera - little
    Ginger- 1 inch piece
    Garlic and onion according to your taste (its optional)
    Tamarind puree or tamarind paste from a lemon size ball

In a kadai once the oil is hot add all the ingredients except the tamarind and fry until light brown colour.
    Allow it cool and grind it with salt and tamarind.
    Do tadka with mustard seeds, curry leaves and little hing.
    It becomes a nice accompaniment for Idli, Chappathi, dosai and even for rice.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Hridhaya,

Apple crumble does need as a partner, either ice cream or now a days, a rabdi atleast.
    Kichdi dhal is a super tasting, but easy to make dhal!!

3. Chitvish

4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    made many repeats these days. Also made jowar oats pancakes and they came out so well. A loves it. Since it is easy to post pictures from iphone to Facebook, I do it. Will post here also. Thanks for such a good and jiffy recipe. Made navaratna paruppusili today as combo for vathalkuzhambu, send for A's lunch box too. Since I had frozen the PU it was easy to make. Also have made another batch of red and yellow gravies (white gravy is not liked much by boys since it is not spicy as these two). 6 packets of milk got spoiled 2 days before. I made them into paneer and with your tips was successful in making a block of them. Am so happy about that. Can make any paneer recipe with that.
    Ooops, forgot. Sent aloo paratha for lunch to A yesterday, it was his first day at college. He was so happy that it was superb.

5. Chitvish

Varloo, so nice to read your FB!!
    I am very happy that you are making full use of all that we have shared here!! Thanks!!

6. Shreec

Shreec Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra madam,

I am looking through the Recipe index for the moong dhal-rice flour thengolu to prepare for Gokulastami. I had made it earlier and if I remember it right the recipe was from Tasty tiffiens and tastier snacks. But I have been looking for a while now and I am not able to find it. Could you please let me know the link. Sorry to bother you.

Thank you
    Regards,
    Shree

7. Chitvish

Please go to
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/ask-chitvish/566-tasty-tiffins-tastier-snacks-16.html#post161845

8. Shreec

Shreec Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chithra madam,

Thank you very much. I had a feeling it was thengolu, but it is chakli. I will prepare it and will let you know.

Regards,
    Shree

9. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Dear chith
    Made varagu sarkkarai pongal today.. loved the taste and texture.:thumbsup
    I soaked varagu overnight.. and cooked roasted moong and varagu together.Some how the moong was a little undercooked.So finally I mashed the pongal using electric hand blender..:rotfl
    Did the rice cook faster due to soaking?Am I supposed to cook them seperately and then proceed?Please let me know..

I made bajra idly... superb .Enjoyed it thoroughly.Planning to make ragi idlies next.:)

Next experiment...cooked brown rice successfully.Approx 12 whistles in a clay pot after soaking overnight. I used 5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.So no kanji.I am slowly shifting to clay pot cooking. The taste is awesome.
    Thanks for helping me with innovative ideas to use millets.

regards
    Sowmya

10. Chitvish

Sowmya, my honey.,

Thanks. May be you could have soaked moong dhal also in warm water for an hour.. I now soak all dhals in warm water for an hour to get soft cooked dhal.

For ragi idlis, you have to use only whole ragi unlike bajra, cholamfor which you can use the kurunai called dalia whichis available.

Clay pot & 12 whistles?? I don't understand.. Please rush & explain. I want to try it. Also
    write where you got claypot from??

Your FBs are so so interesting! That only shows, by reading this thread, one can
    successfully cook millets without evendownloading my app like how you have done :thumbsup

Great going!