Anyone With Vitamin D Deficiency?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ennaye, Jul 16, 2012.

1. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi, Anyone amongst the seniors with vitamin D deficiency?
    If so could you share you experiences please? I have been diagnosed with quite a severe Vitamin D deficiency and have just started with the capsules once a week.
    Any info on your experiences will be appreciated.

2. rayhaan

rayhaan Bronze IL'ite

hi ennaye,

My hubby is also diagnosed with severe vitamin D deficiency. His count was 15. He is advised vitmain D injection once every month, calciferal powder once a week and a multivitamin tablet.

Can you please explain what made you take this test. My hubby had severe muscle pain and was suffering with fatigue and body pain. He also had few sleepless nights. He was given a lot of tests and finally they doctors found this...

1 person likes this.
  3. freddycat

freddycat Platinum IL'ite

hi ennaye,

Me too, had severe joint pain in legs and hands. I am taking 1000 units of vitamin D daily, over 2-years now. The alternate is soaking in the sun for about 20 minutes, daily. My count was 13, and now, it is increased to 30. Also, I go for a walk, 45 minutes in the early morning sun.

In general, it affects those who works/stays indoor or the night shift folks.

The normal range is 30.0 to 74.0 of vitamin D and it can be identified from the routine blood test.

1 person likes this.
  4. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi, rayhaan,

Glad to find someone I can talk to about this.
    I started having pain in the left leg starting from hip and going down which I first thought was Sciatica pain. Never did anything about it. Then came the high bp which would fluctuate greatly on taking medication, and ofcourse the feeling of depression and weepiness. Then a friend suggested I check on Vitamin D.
    Went to the clinic for a test and found Vit D was severely deficient.
    Doc suggested injections, but am scared of injections. He gave capsules which I am now taking once a week.

How long has your husband been on treatment? Is he finding relief from his symptoms?

I was told that if I take capsules it will take longer to correct the deficiency.

5. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi freddycat,
    Thanks for sharing your experience. My count was 6 which is very low. Have also started 30 mins walk every day. Otherwise more or less a sedentary life style.
    Do keep in touch.

6. rayhaan

rayhaan Bronze IL'ite

hi ennaye,

My hubby was diagnosed with this only 10 days back, until then we really did not have any idea. We consulted an Ortho doctor 3 months back, it did not help, then moved onto rheumatologist a month back, she had given him some medicines but it was of no use, they also said they were not able to diagnose what it was since there were no signs of problems from the tests that they had taken.

Later we moved to Apollo hospital, Dr. Sowkat Ali, Only then did they diagnose this Vitamin D deficiency. We are asked to repeat test after 3 months to see if the count has increased. He says it is little better after taking the injection but it is not gone completely.

7. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi rayhaan,
    I also found out the deficiency only a week ago and that too on the advice of a friend got the vit d test done.
    Just could not believe that I could be deficient in any of the vitamins. But I have also been putting on weight and cannot get rid of it, though I don't eat much. Had just one dose of the capsule, was too scared of the injection.
    The doc told me that if I don 't take the injection it will take a long time for count to increase.

Now , I feel everyone should get these done. So many elderly ladies are experiencing aches and pains also depression, osteoprosis. We tend to put it down to hormones. Better to get this test done to eliminate a cause.

8. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Many people have vitamin D deficiency due to lack of exposure to sun,it is called APARTMENT SYNDROME.My count was 13 and I took tablets for 3 months once per week.I have to check it again.My daughter's was even lower,it was 10.Many people in UAE have this problem.There are people with the count of 3 here.
    Walk in the sun for half and hour in the morning.Sunshine is the best source of Vitamin D.Take foods rich in Vitamin D.Tablets help but they take time.It gets absorbed over a period of time.
    They say all cardio vascular problems,diabetes,depression,osteoprosis are caused by the lack of Vitamin D.

2 people like this.
  9. DGcreative

DGcreative Platinum IL'ite

Hi rayhaan

Me too started with acute body pain, specially early mornings & late nights. I used to be fatigued throught out the day & initially blamed my routine of starting early morning & sleeping late nights because of my 2 year son. But once these tests showed extremely low Vit D levels, I started with medication. I had Vitamin D deficiency & my doc said generally it is accompanied with low Vit B12 also & is more prominent in Women as compared to Men. I had a course of 6 injections & Calcirol sachet once a week for 3 months. Now I am much better.

10. ennaye

ennaye Silver IL'ite

Hi Kanaka,

Are you feeling better after 3 months on tablets? Regardiong cardio problem, I am having bp that is low in the morning and high in the vening. It really goes down if I take bp medication. But without that medicine it will go very high.
    I am hoping that as Vit D levels increase this problem also will settle down.
    Do let us know how your test for the Vit D levels goes.
    I have started with multivitamin capsule also. Hopefully that will take care of Vit B12 too.