Are we ashamed of our Parents??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by ssm014, Apr 29, 2012.

1. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

2. chweetchoyee

chweetchoyee Gold IL'ite

Very nice article.. I have seen people still doing it.. I have a granny who is nothing but a small cute kid for us.. we make sure to pamper her in all ways and she love being pampered.. Even in public sometimes she ask as something which makes us to embarrassed but we laugh loud with her and explain her like she used to do when we were kids..

The best thing to do is just take sometime for your elders and be the kid you used to be for them.. and enjoy every moment with them... People regret once they lose them and try to feel sorry for their gesture towards them.. Its better to not regret and make them happy now.. Make them comfort even in our zone of technology.. (my granny wants my iPad to see movies, believe me i cannot say no to her at all..).

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful article..

Choyee

3. Yumna

Yumna Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing such a thoughtful article.

4. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

thanks All for your FB.,,

a couple of days back I was sharing Chitvish's thread on SBS recipes..to my MIL and she was so happy...

I am waiting to show the same to my MOM on her next visit

My MIL was so happy like a kid with a new toy...:)

2 people like this.
  5. ReenaVinod

ReenaVinod Bronze IL'ite

nice article... thanks for sharing...

6. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot! Usually I donot read the Times of India. But this is one great article that helps us to remember to behave properly with everyone in the manner we would expect them to behave with us!

Geetha

7. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

nice article,thanks for sharing!

8. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Very nice article ..... Filial piety is never going to match parental love. So expecting that will lead to disappointments. Not saying that this is right. But this is reality.

As technology advances in leaps and bounds, it does get difficult for the older generation to keep up.

And with patience levels declining steadily, reading about such incidents should hopefully motivate us to try to learn about at least a few of the advances that happens around us.

My DH has given up on Twitter, webchat and FB. I try to keep up a bit so that if someday my kid settles down far away from me, I will know to communicate.

However coming back to your question....we should not be ashamed of our parent's lack of exposure to technology.

But there are sometimes when their attitude might make us cringe in public.

When young the kids tend to put up with it and when they become adults, they do not hide their embarrasment but lash out at their parents. Again not saying that it is right.

For example:
    A few parents (while visiting their children in US) when invited to parties, went around asking every single person their salary or green card status or if they owned homes and whether it has appreciated. Their intention behind their detective work was obvious - they wanted to weigh the financial worth of others to see whether their own kids was in tandem with others.

More horrible ....In one party, I saw a dad kept bringing the topic back to a couple's ttc again and again while his SnIL's efforts to divert the topic were futile. The dad made them feel like they were inferior. I was in TTC that time and I avoided that group like plague during the party and his daughter knew what I was doing. When we left the SnIL's face was red in anger. I am sure he heard an earful.

My FIL insulted my DH's classmates asking them their marks as DH was a lot better than them in studies. And now when he meets them, he asks them directly about the value of properties they have invested in.

It is not like he is giving them any ideas to invest or offering any help or even a realtor's contact details. Just plain curiosity which ends in rubbing in their face his son's investment skills.

So when we invite them home, they directly ask us if he is with us.

And we have a big monkey stuffed toy at home and everytime one of DH's friends visited us, he used to prop it up on the couch and punch it a few times telling us that it is my FIL.

I was shocked initially but DH was laughing and enjoying it. Looks like this guy was talking with one of his girl classmates on the road and FIL went and told his dad and a few neighbors that he is a womanizer.

We can overlook a few things but a few things do embarass the kids. However talking to them about it is a better way of handling it rather than shouting at them. But will parents listen to our words...entirely different story.

Mine will partly but my DH's wont. :)

1 person likes this.
  9. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

^^ True Eandian...esp when it comes to TTC part

once when we were briefly abroad, we had both sets of parents visitng us togethers, one of our Indian collegues invited us and them over for dinner.

the thing was that our friend was living in with her foreign boyfriend and we somehow knew that our parents might frown on her choice ot attire (revealing clothes etc). our friend had gone to a great extent to procure food, arrangements etc and had invited other expats as well..

Much of our chargin, my FIL kept on filling his plate, not realising that veg Indian food in that city was not common and was damn expensive. ....

so in a way I also agree with your comments...

1 person likes this.