1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Driving Test Queries and Concerns

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

No Driving license for Visa Holders!

Atleast not in Michigan.. Recently DMV has announced a rule saying only GC holders or citizens can get a driving license. Though DMV allows visa holders to drive with their home country license with some conditions, I think its totally unacceptable. ..:idontgetit:

I heard that university students are talking to senators about this..

Here is the actual news..
    SOS - State driver's license requirements now include permanent legal presence in U.S.
    " Under the attorney general's opinion, those who are in the country legally but on temporary student or work visas are ineligible for a Michigan license, though most still can drive using the license of their home country"

Hope it doesnt come to other states too..

2. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Re: No Driving license for Visa Holders!

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]"First-time applicants for a Michigan driver's license or identification card must prove that they have established a permanent legal presence in the United States, under a requirement taking effect Tuesday, Jan. 22, Secretary of State Terri Lynn Land announced today"

So it says for the first time applicants...am I right?
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

3. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Re: No Driving license for Visa Holders!

Yes, it is for first time applicants.. Thats why the students who are new here are really trying to stop this ..

4. daksh

daksh Silver IL'ite

i am learning car driving for past few days. i hav good steering control, but the problem is i am not able to maintain the speed. i drive in 5o miles speed, slowly speed increase to 60 miles, so i try to reduce the speed, n it comes to 40. cars coming behind me , they are getting angry, since i am not going in a steady pace.

my hubby says once u drive in particular speed, lock the accelerator in the same position, dont give extra pressure or dont release the pressure. but i am not able to do so.

couls some one give me some practical tips on how to get rid of this problem.thnx.

5. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Re: advice needed regarding driving

Daksh,
    Even I got my driving license, recently...the problem you are facing is natural..only through practice, you can come to maintain the same speed...till that time, go on the right lane...if situation is there to go for the left lane...let others pass you...no regrets...they know how to pass and go ahead...

What I heard of locking the accelerator for the same speed, it is not useful during the raining and snow season or when the car skids, the lock should not be there..the brakes won't work good...

Best of luck..

sriniketan

6. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

hi Daksh,

defensive driving is the best way of driving. what Srini says is correct. you will learn with practice. learning the hard way is the best way. if you want to reduce the speed, dont hit breaks (that is what most new drivers do). just let go of the gas pedal a li'l gently. try to go behind someone who is going steadily. and ALWAYS KEEP CALM. dont bother what others think. if they want to go fast, they can go in the left lane. i know there are a few drivers who try to breath down your neck... or your bumper..! Witsend just give yourself a sweet smile in the rear-view and stick to your speed.

else, try "cruise control" (pl check if you have it in your car). it is just a click on a button at the speed you want to set. you dont have to look at the speed once you set it. it gets released when ever u apply breaks. you should "reset cruise" then. again, this is not very useful in snow. but dont worry about that now. snow is at least 4 months away. learn to drive confidently.

regards,
    Sharada

7. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

I feel as though am reading my situation...But Hubbys are the worst instructors...And we tend to loose the cool as they continuosly keep giving instructions..."Brake", "Slow down", "too slow", "too fast" ..but am learning to ignore him and keep driving...Anywayz driving slowly is not an issue here as people will pass you...Jus remember to signal at appropriate places...Good luck to you..Am planning to learn for one more month before license...

8. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

i just finished the driving licence book. i am also verymuch worried how i m going to drive in the traffic????Witsend getting nevous. i think this helps me better once i started to learn driving. thanks a lot. i'll let u know once i started learning. i planned to write the test this wk. probably i'll start learning this wk end.

9. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Just relax and be confident. I have a suggestion, pls. practice more in parking lots, once your are confident enough, go to the road that too on a sunday morning. It is church timings for most americans and most of the roads and highways are empty. Hope it helps.

Rithi

10. narmee_r

narmee_r Senior IL'ite

websites for driving test?

i did finished my drivers licence book. i want to take some free tests before i attend the test. b'se i want to clear it for the first time itself. i m in bloomington, Illinois state.
    i did with dmv.org. in that site only 24Qs r there. for the 2nd time it is not giving new Qs. it is giving the same Qs in the same order.Witsend so i want some other sites to practice.

pls help me girls.................Drowning

thank u in advance.Bow