1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Schooling in the US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sita_r, Jun 20, 2012.

1. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I get varied reports on standard of education in US compared to India. can someone give me first hand info based on their kids studying over there.

1. Second language - ok..i understand this goes for a toss. I have heard that parents make up for it by sending them to tuitions or by self teaching based on books. Would this suffice to bring them back to india say in the 6th or 7th standard. Will kids be able to cope up?
    2.Maths - I have heard that the standard is quite low and kids would find it difficult to cope up once they are back in 6th or 7th grade. Is this true, or is it just a misconception
    3.Other subjects like History/Geography - Do they have such subjects there in the US and if they do have, its going to be American history and American geography. So how to manage if they are to come back to India?

Your answers would help me make informed decisions. Thanks a ton!

2. savitamathur

savitamathur Bronze IL'ite

Hi Sita
    We just got back from the US last year after 20 years when my son was in 5th grade. he has adjusted very well without any problems. some things a re different in India in that
    a lot more writing is involved, like in science and also writing statements in Math.(In the US it is Multiple choice till 6th grade).The standard of schooling in the US is very good. It is a huge misconception that schooling is not good in the US. you need to look for a good school district in the city you are in. The studies get very serious in 3rd grade with end of year exams. KG-2 is a lot more play and fun compared to India, but looking at the kids here in India struggling with 1st and 2nd grade exams homework and pressure, i am glad my son was in the US at that time. HE has had no problems coping.
    One thing that is not given any importance in India is Creative writing. Your kids will be doing tha lot more writing projects, book reports, presentations in class starting in KG in the US. They have separate periods in school for creative writing. your kids english and vocabulary will get a big boost. also Reading is very important. Compulsary reading with signing off on logs everyday by parent is required.
    2nd language starts only in middle school. but if talk mother tongue at home it should not be an issue.

3. sita_r

sita_r Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much for the information. Makes our decision making easier.