Boss not in synch - pls help

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by tuffyshri, Jun 14, 2012.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

The worst thing that anyone would face at work is to end up in difference of opinion with your boss. It is more or less like digging your own pit. I am facing such a difficulty, pls suggest me some points on how to overcome this

1) I was in project A until last year and this guy didnt like me so released me
    2) I moved to project B and so far so good
    3) Interestingly this guy overtook project B also under him which means am back reporting under him
    4) Things were fine for few days but then the underlying coldness could be seen at both ends
    5) I will go on ML soon, which means I cannot be released immediately. Otherwise I may end up with no project and thus out of work also
    6) Few days back he started shouting at me for something over the phone and I lost my cool. I started defencing back in a smooth way only but it was obvious that he was not convinced
    7) Now bcoz of the ML, my appraisal for next year is known. I may be working only for later 6 months that too need to get a project, start working, influence them, et al. So most probably it would be bad rating only
    8) But for the current year where I am working so long, bcoz of this guy I may end up getting a bad rating. Two times bad rating = out of company.
    9) The market is too dull to find another job in another company and I cannot afford to be at home
    10) Talking to him - is not going to help. I tried doing it but he seem not to be very open. It appeared as if I was frankly discussing my negative points with him.
    Am having sleepless nights on top of the maternity stress. Pls provide me some suggestions

2. meVaidehi

meVaidehi Platinum IL'ite

Why don't you talk to someone from HR and also to his boss.
    You tried being professional with your boss but if he is such stubborn unprofessional person who can't keep his personal opinions out, you have no choice but talk to his superior.
    What was the reason for your arguments in past. Were you wrong somehow? If so tell him you understand and would work on improving.
    Don't lose your cool. You need to be happy and stress free right now.
    And finally try and wish for the best but be prepared for worst. If you are really good at what you do, you would get another job even though it might take some time. Be prepared with plan B.
    Good luck
    Vaidehi

3. Grace3

Grace3 Silver IL'ite

Are you in IT ?
    Such bosses cannot be dealt with all by yourself - you may have to approach any of your colleagues who have worked under him & have felt his tactics. With their support & proper proof of his misconduct, you can approach HR & formally lodge a complaint. This wil be like openly challenging him, but if you have not done any crucial mistake or acted unprofessionally, then you don't have to bother about it.

In my opinion, it is better to challenge the wrong-doing & resign if you don't win the case , rather than put up with unfair methods where you are not happy working for him. You can focus peacefully on your baby & family & then after the baby's birth, you can search for job again. Yes, the market is tough but not impossible. :thumbsupGood luck with your decision .

4. anuram09

anuram09 IL Hall of Fame

2 times bad rating = out of company ??? Bad rating means is that 'met some expectations"? I am also getting this rating for past 2 year. Last year I got it because at the appraisal time my ML started. Next whole cycle I was on ML. Nobody questioned me till now. Speak to HR first.

5. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Tuffy
    i know you feel

I was there till a couple of weeks back..!!

check my old thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/working-women/161679-probabtion-confirmation-tensed.html

I came from a delivery role to a projects role, totally misunderstanding with boss, no support, got hit on all my deliverables...result : INSULTS and no PROB confirmation

after so many yrs of exp and successfully leading a team in last company, all my interaction in new company was completely damaging my confidence, esp when he used nasty words, insults in front of others.

worst of all this guy is a sort of champion in his industry, has 35 yrs of exp..so it my word vis-a-vis

I started avoiding all contact, except mails.

I was exceptionally stressed, this started affecting my TTC efforts

People started talking bad about me, all sorts of nasty things, they were upset that someone from outise (ie. me was doing the projects)
    I wanted the job badly as we have EMI + IVF planned.:coffee
    On advice of one IL poster, i started reading the Siddha Mangala strotra and within 2 months, got a new head (senior to this guy). older boss still tried talking new boss out of keeping me in team. older boss even met me and asked me to start looking out.:rant

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/p...82-siddha-mangala-stotram-47.html#post2289415

Probably within 2-3 ms of this strotra, out of the blue, new boss managed to locate an opportunity (delivery role) in another team....:) all this happened within 2 days

so hang in there, this too shall pass

I still have not got my confirmation and appraisal is already scre&^%@ up, but am enjoying my transfer to new team

2 people like this.
  6. kkdevi

kkdevi Gold IL'ite

Hi Tuffy
    Dont worry, most of us are sailing in the same boat one day or other. So u stay cool as you are, without bothering much about office. I'm not sure abt the overall working exp you got. Few pointers.. {these things i keep telling to myself :)P), friends and colleagues..}

1. First try to analyse where it all started, why is that he is not supporting or acknowledging your work.This might give you some idea on workaround.

2. Ensure that you are in good rapport with Supervisor's Supervisor / higher management. Keep your work transparent, let people know that you are doing exceeding work and try to gain their trust. (this is more imp, since even your supervisor tries to pull you down, his management will doubt him since they already know how you work).

3. Have a habit of noting all your work, appreciations, achievements, additional tasks, team activities done, mail proofs, etc and ensure that you insists for 1:1 - note he would defnitely be not interested in it by what i understand from your post. But keep asking him to have this meeting atleast 1 per quarter. (not to put forth negatives, but to highlight your additional tasks done apart from normal assigned tasks and ask his feedback), you can send out minutes of 1:1 (for future reference!) This will support you during the appraisal, you will be having valid point with PROOFs to speak on your ratings.

4. "2 times bad rating = out of company" - what do you mean by "Bad rating" here, is it Meets Expectation or Below Expectation. I m sure people cant give below expectation unless they have a strong reason and in most of the cases, it will be Meets expectation. And from my 8 yrs of IT exp, havnt come across such thumb rule you stated above. You could avoid those if you try following 2nd and 3rd suggestions..

5. Finally, understand your priorities in life, I would like to quote Kalam's saying "LOVE YOUR JOB BUT NEVER FALL IN LOVE WITH YOUR COMPANY BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT STOPS LOVING YOU"

Best wishes.. Be happy and dont think too much on Office work.. there are so many other things which we have to really care about!

Take care.. hope it helps..:)

2 people like this.
  7. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

hi,
    If your boss has some opinion of his own about you then i would suggest just ignore.

Keep track of your tasks... if timesheet entry is in practice well and good.Plus keep all communication in writing.

Bad rating does not mean termination of job:) but it may influence your further hike in pay after your appraisal:( depending on your company policy.

Do involve superiors/dept heads and HR if need arise.

Dont take too much stress regarding work at this point of time..you need to take care of your helath.
    Take care and all the best!
    RGDS

8. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

thanks for the response. well, it is more or less like Ego clash in the past. I thought of taking this to HR, but that am not ready if it back fires me. I somehow feel his boss may not support me but him.

9. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

Actually am the only woman reporting to him and the other 4 are men folks who goes for a fag, et al. I dont think they would support me. for the job, I can always get released and move to other projects but me going on ML will attract no one. Let me keep my fingers crossed

10. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

I spoke to few people who are there in the company for quite sometime. They also assured me the same, but let me wait and see