1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wife unhappy

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by thamman, Mar 15, 2012.

1. thamman

thamman Junior IL'ite

Hi Indusladies,

I am a guy and I am going to post a problem a cousin of mine is facing regarding his marriage. I know I may not exactly belong here but I didn't knew where else I can discuss issue.

My cousin, who works in Boston, got married a year ago and brought his wife to US along with him. Cousin took care of his wife very nicely. He is a soft spoken person and never even raises his voice. I visited him 2 times in last one year and they seemed very happy on surface.

However, the wife actually came from a little well to to family. She has always enjoyed a royal lifestyle throughout her childhood and never knew boredom or loneliness. My cousin has almost regularly talked to me on phone about how unhappy his wife is after coming to US. His wife was brought up in india with lot of pampering with always her cousins and friends around her. Here in US she began to feel lonely once husband goes to work.

Gradually boredom began to lead to irritation and more depression. Later we also came to know from her cousins that she is extremely short tempered and very difficult person.

Here are few points that my cousin narrated to me:
    1. Cousin went to florida for vacation after wife came to USA. There on the night of some occassion he forgot to offer her flowers. She started fight and later ran outside hotel towards beech. He had to grab and pull away before she threw herself into sea.
    1. She frequently gets angry over every small issue and starts throwing and breaking everything in home (like kitchen stuff, phones etc). Cousin already replaced 4 cell phones for her.
    2. On her birthday, my cousin arranged a cake cutting party at midnight, but next day he went to office for half day. For that she started fighting again and ran out of the house. Cousin followed her and brought her back after she calmed down.
    3. During anivesary, cousin took her to new jersey and booked a resort for 2 days. But she didn't like the place and started quarelling right in the hotel. After great deal of persuation she calmed down. She also beat him up with her sandle.

There are many more such incidents where wife has lost temper apparently for small mistakes. My cousin has suffered very badly because of that. He couldn't concentrate on job and had to change 2 contracts in one year. He had also lost lot of money to entertain her. Beating and fights at home are so common that my cousin lost the count of number of times he was beaten up. Once her quarreling so bad that neighbors complained to police. Police gave a warning and left.

She never apologies for her anger and during fights she uses extremely filthy language that my cousin wouldn't even share with me.

Now my cousin is extremely confused as to what to do now. He and his wife both know they are not happy together and separation is only option. But as we know divorce is a very big thing in India. Especially my cousin comes from a simple middle class family with traditional values. Some times he does say that his wife promises to behave well in future. But over the year she has made such promises numerous times but things never changed.

On once side he does want to break up but he is afraid of stigma that it will bring to girl's family. My cousin has still love for his wife and he feels partly guilty for marrying her and bringing her to US. He has shared his problem with me and some of his male friends but we would really like to know what women would think of him in this situation.

Please give your suggestions on what to do. Your opinions will be important as we haven't shared this problem any women so far.

Thanks and regards,
    xxxx

2. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

The rich, pampered, over-indulgent girl is no new story!

She has to change, and understand 'their' limitations monetarily and be contented with a H who loves her. Only when she makes peace with this fact, they can have a happy marriage. Maybe some talks/discussions/anger management/yoga/therapy/counselling for her would work? Yes, no one gets into a marriage wanting to divorce. But if thats the only option left, then nothing else can be done. Life goes on, and he might find someone else later in his life.

3 people like this.
  3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Better if both wife n husband goes to a marriage counsellor to understand and vocalize their opinions infront of a neutral third party and get suggestions on how to work on things like communication n anger.

I appreciate if hte husband concentrates more on working on things rather than figuring out how bad this woman was by asking or checking with her cousins..(these things should happen before marriage...)how does a husband feel if his friends/cousins are talking ill about him to his wife?? doesnt sound right isnt it?? so please suggest to keep relatives n friends out of this marriage equation and INVOLVE a professional counsellor who can help figure out where is the gap.

Depression can do major damage to someones mental sanity. having said that , your relative seems to haev tried his best so far....one last try wont hurt....time to involve a counsellor so that even if this attempt fails...he will be sure he did the right thing.

I am really surprised how some husbands think.....has it been a WOMAN who has posted this type of thread...we women would have bashed her left n right saying she has to develop more patience, and do this or that or some thing else etc.....we would have offered 101 suggestions on how to make the marriage work...if a man acts irritated and angry and throws things and gets upset and feels depressive...what would we have suggested or called him?? pampered??? hmmmm.....anyways....the one who is going through it will know, whether its really a big pain or soemthing that they can work on it slowly and steadily.

If she is the only daughter or the youngest daughter, people would shower over love n affection....if her expectations are wrong after marriage, thats something wife n husband has to work slowly on fixing it....and making her understand what maturity is...and what being married is...keeping her involved in activities...etc...(I dont like the part about her cousins bad mouthing about her temper infront of husband....really how can a husband let it happen...that too gather infoa bout how his wife is...from her cousins??? even directly or indirectly..what if these so called cousins were a jealous type??)

by the way how long are these couple married???

There are somethings in the psot which I may ask, like why does she get soo irritated sooo suddenly...may be only hte husband can answer well as he has seen it first hand....he arranged cake cutting and went to office and she got all mad n angry..for what?? just because he went to office? or did he promise her befofre that he will be at home, but suddenly he changed plans and left her at home ??

what we haev to understand is....which may sound outrageous, may women who come to US after marriage after living in 4 walls of the house get soo depressed n lonely that teh mind goes insane...specially if you are in areas where it gets super duper cold n snowing where you dont get to see any humans outside...or there is zero interaction with others..

your relative has to be happy that he has no inlaws issues or money issues whateve rit is....and if wifes anger n temper is teh issue....people change...just that give her something to work on, tell her they both have to act like adults as donw the line they will have kids and she is the one who has to handle all these....and suggest marriage counsellor and let her talk it out as to whats bothering her without reasoning out his answers right away....

Last but not least...I have my friends husband, who had same complaint over my friend that she is tempermental....basically she didnt appreciate what he did....for example for renting an apt :)yeah...he gave this as one of the reaosn too...he said he rented apt after marriage, he bought a TV:), he took her to a trip for their anniversary , he was the one who first gav eher a chance to sit on a aeroplane and what not crappy reasons....I mean agreed he did all that, but arent praises an dappreciation supposed to come from heart, and if someone doesnt appreciate, do we push them?? we try harder and we make them see our point, but we dont fight with them saying they dont appreciate or praise hteir husbands. As per her she didnt appreciate any of it, because every day he used to make her feel suffocated with this over dose and over load dof wht all he is doing for her and how much thankful she should be......again...wife n husband has to work on how they communicate...most of our relationship issues are due to lack of communication orw rong communication....and wrong expectations...

1 person likes this.
  4. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

There are some people who can not be self-contained. They always need people around to keep their spirits up, and ur cousin's wife seem to be of that type. When left alone, they start finding fault in each and every minute details, and can not be happy on their own.

Looks like your wife's cousin is not self-contained, is undergoing a lot of depression and hence is finding everything unsatisfactory. She is not a bad person, but is depressed due to loneliness. Your cousin had been a wonderful husband and a good person. It is sad to see both of them suffering.

It would help if she could create a friend's circle, there by she would get to mingle with people. She could join work / study / gym etc, where she could get to meet people. She could mingle, and slowly could also see that her husband is treating her much better than others.

1 person likes this.
  5. thamman

thamman Junior IL'ite

Thanks Srividya and everyone for taking time to repond.
    Answering your questions:
    1. Yes, she is the only daughter of her parents. Born and brought up in a pretty well to do family. Their extended family has over a dozen of causins who are also well off. These causins, esp girls all grew up with lots of fun in childhood. In her college too she had a whole team of boyz running after her and always made her feel like princess. From the language of my cousin, "She is a perfect example of bad parenting".

2. Cousins are not baddies here. Most of them are US based and are good friends and well wishers. Before marriage nobody talked ill about her. Everybody praised her saying she is our princess and we are handing it over to you. They never bad mouthed her in front of her. One of her causin is a neighbor and saw her throwing tamtrums. Thats when he politely describes her as short tempered (but not in front of her).

3. Why she gets so angry quicky? My cousin says its because she hates her married life in US. Her expectations from marriage were all very different. She wanted a very funny and pampering kind of husband. My cousin is a little studious and reserved kind of person. In fact he is btech from the best college in India which carries world famous brand. Thats the main reason rich parents came forward for this wedding proposal.
    She got furious on the day of her birthday because husband went to office. He didn't promise anything. He just couldn't understand what she wanted. Once he came back by afternoon, she began to fight saying that she has never been alone in her birthday. Every birthday of hers as at least dozens of people at her house. This time only husband and few of his friends were present at midnight. Later the day she hasn't seen anyone apart from husband. This made her feel very bad.

My cousin has pretty tried everything to keep her busy like joining her to gym, offering her to join any computer course (which she refused). She went to gym for few days but she didn't like it either. Her main problem from what I understand is lack of indian environment she had enjoyed in India. In India she was a like queen. Everyday when she gets up in the morning, only thing she has to do is ask her driver to take her in car to any place she liked, watch movies, visit friends, cousins, go shopping etc etc. Here she hasn't learned driving, she has no place to go and pretty tied down on money side too. All this I believe has resulted in enormous frustration and she is taking that out on her husband.

Its true that there is no money issue involved here, but this girl is also unhappy that she got married into such middle class family. By middle class standards, my cousin has offered her more than anything he has himself enjoyed. Like you said, got new apartment, big TV, frequent trips to holiday destinations etc etc... But that is not keeping her happy has she is missing her environment.

6. thamman

thamman Junior IL'ite

A year and a half.

7. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

OP - Could she get a job to keep her occupied? I had a friend like that who had this issue. But the diff was he was also rich family but as a student learnt to live on his means. But the wife had terrible times. They are happy now with a little girl. She took 3 years to adjust to this lifestyle. But she did change. In the begining it was hard as he had to constantly keep her busy - go to other indian students houses - go to student partieshosted by indians - and slowly she started changing

So he needs to be patient with her.

2 people like this.
  8. thamman

thamman Junior IL'ite

I can ask him to do that. On getting a job, its pretty much a hopeless situation. She does have a degree but we all know how seriously some people take their studies in India. She can't even properly communicate in english, leave doing a job.

9. psych

psych Gold IL'ite

Does she have work permit? She can work odd jobs like in the mall or something? like a sales rep at the mall? or even a bagger at a grocery store?

english will not be a problem. I can guarantee that. Several ppl come to USA w/o knowing proper english but you could get a job at a grocery store or walmart -

10. thamman

thamman Junior IL'ite

She has no permit. She is on H4. But thats a good suggestion, there will some Indian stores who can employ. Its just needs some convincing.