1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Divorce Procedure In India

Discussion in 'Life Without Spouse' started by svreddy, Mar 13, 2012.

1. svreddy

svreddy New IL'ite

Hi frnds,

I wonder whether my Divorce proceedings will ever end in India. I stay and work in abroad. It's been 5 plus years, I have been seperated from my Ex, and am victim of emotional and physical abuse, when I questioned back things became worse and my Ex applied divorce in this european country. Later I filed 498A case in India and it's still pending. It's funny that I am divorced here but still married women on papers in India. Communication is going on with EX-familythrough lawyer but they are not showing any interest for mutual divorce. Some of my relatives and frnds suggest that am wasting my time for completion of divorce in India.I will be 30 this year and sometimes I feel, I have lost interest in getting remarried. I am not in a hurry to get married but this divorce procedure in India is draining me and family.

2. renutn

renutn Gold IL'ite

Hi,

When it comes to any legal issues ...it is very slow in India. I wonder why they don't give importance of the time. Reason is being v. simple..you have to bribe the lawyer nicely. Since in other country paper it shows you are already divorced..through that your lawyer can put pressure on your ex for proceedings.

BTW when you say as per India you are married..on what basis you are saying? Are you referring your marriage certificate?
    As per my knowledge all those documents will not have a value ..when you have divorce copy. Instead of wasting time you look about your future and settle down.

3. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

Was 498a filed with revenge motive, because he filed divorce? When you also wanted divorce, you could have just consented his divorce petition(or drafted a mutually agreeable petition), and then validated it in India(no trial required if foreign divorce is mutually consented). Now, that you filed 498a, he would of course contest your divorce petition, till he is free (or convicted) of 498a. Because otherwise, even though you are free, he is still bound to running to courts to fight 498a against State. And how are you managing witness statements etc working abroad? Delay is inevitable if you are unavailable for statements in court.

4. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

why not take the approved divorce papers in the european country and submit those to the court in India and prove the separation time etc....

5. svreddy

svreddy New IL'ite

Thankyou for replying, Yes, like in the marriage certificate and in the papers we filed in the court.

6. svreddy

svreddy New IL'ite

I filed the case after all the trials, I made to communicate with him. Then I decided to file a case to teach them a lesson, but now I feel what I did is a useless thing, Just wasting time and In India Money and power can make things up and down. My ex also lives abroad and he keeps postponing the things by appealing to higher courts. Thankyou for replying

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  7. svreddy

svreddy New IL'ite

Thankyou for replying, I have to think on these grounds.

8. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

pls withdraw that 498A case. thats not a fair one and see how it came back to bite you!!! just let it go...know when to say enough and move on!!! no point in wanting to teach him a lesson this way, if he had to learn, he would have.....and by the way just like you, he too may have his own reasons for his behaviour. if you both were unable to talk it out or work it out then it means you both are not meant for each other.

1 person likes this.
  9. Troubled7

Troubled7 Bronze IL'ite

Well you do not file 498a to teach a lesson, if they demanded dowry then you file it, if they did not just to teach them lesson do not file it. If my 1st post ever get published in this forum you would realize that how bad this law is and how bad are people who misuse it. I am afraid that you fall in this category and now you are suffering.

10. Troubled7

Troubled7 Bronze IL'ite