abdominal muscle separation

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by ambily_100, Jun 6, 2011.

1. ambily_100

ambily_100 New IL'ite

Hi All,

I had a c section in June 2009.My pregnancy was a high risk one due to an abnormal shaped uterus(I dont want to mention the details here as that itself is sufficient for a thread).As my baby had less space inside, there was more pressure on my abdominal walls(almost like holding twins or triplets).My pregnancy went well with out much complications.My daughter is now 2 years old.

My problem is that my tummy even now is inflated and my belly button is out.I believe that the post natal care in my hospital was not fair enough and I did not start doing any exercise untill 3 months.I was not told that I should have started my exercises earlier.
    I was breast feeding my baby until she was 1.5 years and was hitting gymn as well.I am completely in good shape except my tummy which looks very ugly (i wear little lose kurtis so it doesnt show out).I am now expecting my second child and this is my 19th week.Only now I am informed by my gyno that I have an abdominal separation.
    I had no clue on what it is and did some research in internet and found out that this is a condition called diastasis recti (and naval hernia which is putting my belly button out).I do not want to remain like this for ever.Has some body experienced this situation and is this curable with excercises?

I saw some lots of posts expecially from women from west in various sites and some of them very going for a plastic surgery to suture the muscles back together.Also, there were some exceises like tupler's technique which claim to heal the muscles through excercises.Is this true?Are abdominal binders also helpful?
    I also want to tell you that my belly size had gone down considerably from post delivery but even now I have a significant pooch and I do not wear any tight cloths.

2. ambily_100

ambily_100 New IL'ite

I sincerely wish if some one responds to my query.People in the fitness and medical field, please help me out.

3. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear ambily,
    i am undergoing the same experience as yours. i was told by my surgeon that it is called diverication of rectii and it can be cured by excercises if it is a slight separation of muscles. if it is not, it must be cured by operation by adding a mesh.

i have delivered my second baby in sep 2011 (just 4 months back). Two months after my delivery by c-section, i was told by my surgeon that i have a diverication of rectii and i need an operation adding a mesh to join together my separated muscles.
    my friend, i can very well imagine what strain and frustration you must be going on as i too had sleepless nights after i heard about this about which i had no clue so far. i am using an abdominal binder at present.

i wish you all the very best for your second delivery and i also pray to God for your smooth delivery, healthy baby and a safe recovery for your belly button without you undergoing an operation.
    About mine, i do not know what will happen to me as my baby is just 4 months old now. i am not in a position to think much about this. i wish i was also cured by any miracle.
    if you get any info on this, pls write on this post itself as i too need suggestions and experiences of others on this topic.

good luck to you my friend. take care and pray to God.

4. ambily_100

ambily_100 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot BABY1 for you reply.
    it seemed to me that no one ever was interested in replying to my thread.
    My second baby was delivered thru a c section and she is 4 months old now.My tummy really looks bad.I am planning to to go for a medical check up once I get back to my work place Chennai.

Thanks a lot for your wishes.you too take care .
    plz keep me posted.

5. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Dears

I have just had a C-Section two months back for my second baby and my belly button is outside,

during my pregnancy one of the gynaecologists had suggested that I may be having a hernia, when i checked with my gynaecologist she suggesed that the stomach muscles are very lax and it is better to wait and check, I have done some research from my side and have found that it is an umblical hernia,
    i have not done any medical consultation so far.

I know one lady who had got herself operated because of this problem and exactly the same thing what BABY1 has mentioned was done for her, she was getting repeated abdominal pain and had gone for this procedure, she had done this after five or six years after her C-Section.

I don't think i will be going for any consultations to doctors anytime now, with a one month old baby and all the stress not now of course..., the paunch is horrible, i don't know what i should do .....

I think accepting it as a problem and then we should just work towards resolving it is best,

I have had two C-Sections and was reading somewhere that prolonged labour results in umblical hernia, I did have a prolonged labour for the first child and was then taken for an emergency C-section.

Please do keep the thread alive with any updates from your side,

All the best to both of you....

Regards,

6. baby1

baby1 Bronze IL'ite

dear ruhaanee, good if we meet once as we both stay in the same city, abu dhabi(UAE). keep in touch.

7. buzzy

buzzy New IL'ite

Hey any updates please......I have this problem.....palsen let me know what u gals did....ambily am at chennai as well....l