1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Grinding and clenching of the teeth

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Shamala, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Shamala

Shamala New IL'ite

I grind and clench my teeth at night times while sleeping. My husband always complains about it. Does any one have any suggestions?

2. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

For Kids...

Dear Shamala,

Normally for kids under 12 years of age, the Doctors would say that they grind their teeth while sleeping because of worms in their stomach. But I do not know whether it applies for adults too. Try consulting a Doctor.

Vanaja

3. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

hi

Hey .. I dont know what your location is.. but in here in US, you get this thing called night guard.(its like a plastic mould in the shape of ur teeth which u put over ur upper and lower theth before sleepinf.. so it prevents ur teeth from damage due to grinding and eventually also gets rid of the habbit...

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Bruxism

Hi Shamala,

I can empathise with you since I had this same problem for about a year. I used to grind my teeth violently at night - this my husband used to tell me.
    I also used to clench my teeth and wake up in the mornings with my jaws sore.
    I consulted a dentist who told me I have bruxism and not to worry. I was going thru extreme, extreme stress at that time and that was a major factor for this. When the stress eased, I automatically stopped. My teeth became sensitive cos of the grinding- that also got better later.

I do not have any suggestions for you to guard yourself. But pls know that I have been thru what you are going thru. And it will get better fast.

regards
    Vidya

5. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi Shamala..

My daughter too has this problem and like Vidya mentioned, it can occur when you are in stress I guess. My daughter was given some soft rubbery braces to wear on her teeth while sleeping. This will allign the teeth better and stop the grinding. So maybe you should see your doctor and explain and he might advise you on it and refer you to a dentist if need be.

L, Kamla