1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ego and Self-respect in Marriage;when and where to draw your lines, boldyet beautiful

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Megalife, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Sometimes egoistic couple use the word self-respect to hide their ego;just like sometimes great words are needed to camouflage our negativities!!! Self-respect comes from a realistic assessment of the situation, whreas ego is self-importance and it is being selfish with being totally inconsiderate to ur partners feelings! If we self analyse a fight or arguement we had with our DH, most of the time it will lead us to the truth that it wa Ego and not self respect which caused the fight. Though all of us are born with an ego we can manage to keep it under wraps if we try not to justify our mistakes/and,or magnify our partners mistakes. Keep the communication open, the moment u are on not talking terms because of a fight you have completely closed the doors to discussion!
    It has been my experience that many a time when we seek advice, we should not heed to all of the advices poured in. Remember the person you r seeking advice from need not be 100% right, he does not know ur partner, some of them just give some sort of stuff to keep u going and the worst catogory are the jealous ones who add oil to a burning fire.
    Self analysis and brief pondering will give you most of the time the answer.

3 people like this.

2. ShwetaSri

ShwetaSri Bronze IL'ite

Re: Ego and Self-respect in Marriage;when and where to draw your lines, boldyet beaut

Hi Megalife!

Nice post and I agree wid u too. When two individuals come to each other they may have certain difference but the key of good and healthy relation is the Love Faith and respect for ur partner. There should not be any place or ego if we want a loving and warm relationship.

3. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Re: Ego and Self-respect in Marriage;when and where to draw your lines, boldyet beaut

Thnxxx....the reason I wrote this, many a times I feel more than the actual issue itself, it is our EGO tht blocks good communication, be it be with our spouse, boss, kidz , friends etc. Its good to have a certain level of self respect but not an enourmous false ego!!!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    4 people like this.
  4. dipshikha

dipshikha Junior IL'ite

dear megalife ,

very nice and truly informative post. you have made me understand the difference between self respect and ego and now i know how an ego can ignite a small issue to a major fire.

i love the below lines so much .It is indeed very true for analysing ourself.

"Self-respect comes from a realistic assessment of the situation, whreas ego is self-importance and it is being selfish with being totally inconsiderate to ur partners feelings!"

2 people like this.
  5. Subhaganesh

Subhaganesh Gold IL'ite

true..............

6. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

very true. but, easier said than done!

7. GopuChandra

GopuChandra New IL'ite

Let us assume that we decide to live without any ego or self respect. The immediate question which crops up is, what if people take us for granted and ride roughshod over us etc etc.? That is the real test, to live life without any feelings, ( except the feeling of love) and to keep on doing one's job until the last breath.

Let us remind ourselves of the story of that woman who despite being in adverse poverty and having nothing to eat, gave that 1 piece of gooseberry which her husband had saved as offering to God to Adi Shankara when He came to her house requesting for alms. That is compassion and selflessness and should make it easy for us to live without ego and only with love.

Regards,
    Suresh

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

While I agree with you in principle..what defines an ego -battle and what is
    a matter or pride /self respect /principle
    is relative in many cases.

1 person likes this.
  9. dipshikha

dipshikha Junior IL'ite

dear megalife ,

very nice and truly informative post. you have made me understand the difference between self respect and ego and now i know how an ego can ignite a small issue to a major fire.

i love the below lines so much .It is indeed very true for analysing ourself.

"Self-respect comes from a realistic assessment of the situation, whreas ego is self-importance and it is being selfish with being totally inconsiderate to ur partners feelings!"

10. GopuChandra

GopuChandra New IL'ite

Yes, of course I am not saying to do the wrong things when forced by others. Use your moral compass to know where to draw the line. This is different for different people. There are some who have no other choice but to do the wrong thing. Whatever you do or forced to do, do it with Love always. The perpetrator of wrong things will be taken care of. But you will remain with bliss, always.