1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my request right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by KirtiPriya, Oct 15, 2011.

1. KirtiPriya

KirtiPriya New IL'ite

Is requesting that "a particular person who doesn't like me/ respect me should not talk to my kid" a valid request or not?.

I am 35+, working woman , married for 15 years, underwent a lot and had to take things into my stride due to my own principles, compulsions. I have always been doing what is right as per dharma, duty, responsibilities. Despite all that done, if disrespected, i thought enough is enough... and decided on the above... But i understand that at the back of me- the communication is happening. Didn't want to force upon my kid and scare my kid. So requested H to ensure on that aspect. Particular person is Sister to H.

I didn't write all the details of 15years - what all I went through - so don't consider me an arrogant. I have been an avid reader of this forum and after 15 years of married life, sort of got immune and can't write the things I went through.

I want your feedback .

2. ivlakshmi

ivlakshmi Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kirti priya,

suppose if ur inlaws doesnt like u, it doesnt mean they dont like ur son.. they hav the right to give love to ur son.. it is same with ur hubbys sister...I personally dont like such sort of distancing..but u can keep ur son under control of not to listen to ur hubbys sister if u feel she is extremely mean minded

3. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Hi, the problem is between the elders... I don't think it is right to grow our children by tellin them all tht n also grow hatred in their minds... Ur child should grow with love n affection.... He should know to share love n he also has to get it from his grandma n aunt... Please keep ur problems away from ur son... JMO...

4. Inana

Inana Bronze IL'ite

HI Kirtipriya..

U r reasoning and fear is understandable. But to run the bitterness down to the kids may not be the right thing to do. Let the child take his/her own decisions and make his/her own judgements. You can tell ur SIL - very curtly- you dont quite like it, and that she should not talk to your child against you.

You could be diplomatic, and trying to keep the child away from a person who can be a bad influence, and you have every right to do that.! But i wouldnt suggest dont make it obvious to the kid. I wouldnt suggest explicilty telling your child not to talk to someone.

My point is, i wouldnt let the innocent mind of a child question these dirty politics that we are dragged into with no choice. Let us do the dirty job.. :) and let the kids stay pure.. :)

2 people like this.
  5. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

The problem is between you and the other person, not between your child and the person, I would say your request is wrong .

1 person likes this.
  6. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

Could you tell us why you dont want your sister in law to talk to your son.. Without knowing this reason it is hard for anyone to say whether your request is right or wrong.

7. KirtiPriya

KirtiPriya New IL'ite

Thanks for all feedback. Assuming normal circumstances and issues, even my stance would be the same. However, i think assumptions make all the difference in giving a response.

riya123- I appreciate your response. I think it is the right response for my question.

8. riya123

riya123 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    Many people have just given their views. Some say it is right and others say it is wrong. I was also in a similar dilemma sometime back, but i choose to not let my son interact much with my in-laws. I never spoke bluntly but kind of made it obvious to them.

Here's the reason --> Firstly my in-laws see my son as my son and not as their grandson. Secondly, they deliberately try to put my son in dangerous situations and then shrug off their shoulders as though nothing happened. When i try to discipline my son, they interfere and dont let me discipline him. Recently my son was diagnosed with adhd and had some trouble in school, my in laws were so happy about it that they kept spreading the message like wildfire.
    For the above reasons, I choose to cut my son's contact from them. So I dont see anything beneficial out of letting them shower their fake love on my son. My son is my responsibility. I need to protect him from such vicious people. My son is too young to even understand that politics. Hopefully when he grows older he understands why i choose to keep him away from such people.

9. KirtiPriya

KirtiPriya New IL'ite

Hi Riya,

Your's is a very optimum case. Wanted to know what your H's reaction is and how was it handled...

With 15 years of married life behind me and almost 8 years of turmoil- i couldn't write down all those happened...To give you a glimpse, you can go through "avoid divorce" thread...

Before i could close out and conclude myself on the right and wrong aspect, I have one more thunderstorm on the way... Let me see how can I weather this one out.....

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Kirti ,
    You are in a tough situation and hurting. Why make your son a pawn ? A 15 year old knows what is right and wrong and he has also been seeing all the turmoil. Children are very observant and can feel underconcurrents .
    Dont fear he will side with you and will stand by you later too.
    Better pick your battles and let things run their own course, with time and circumstances lots of things improve.
    After staying in the marriage for various reasons for so long be kind to yourself and let go.
    If its possible distance yourself from all the bitterness and find peace.
    One cannot change others but can bring positive changes in ourselves. Long time bitterness has a bad effect on ones health.
    Make life easy for your kid or he will be influenced for life.He must be in IX std ,as a teenager has to battle his problems, dont add to them.
    Think of his future and not SIL etc.
    PS I will read your other thread too.