1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Calling on the 'Gerber mommies'

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by mikku, Oct 4, 2011.

1. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hello,

My baby is 10months old and I have been giving him Gerber food since he was 6 months old. He is doing very good on these foods and has maintained his weight very well through his infancy. He has been a very healthy baby so far (touchwood!).
    Coming to my problem, my MIL says that the baby should be fed rice (mashed/pureed-added with rasam, dals), so that he gets proper nutrition(?) and is filling, which would make him sleep better during the nights (which BTW is the only complaint, he doesn't sleep through the night, at 10months). My husband seems to agree on this, and says the baby needs to be given rice. I try to give mostly pureed veggies, which I feel are quite nutritious and filling too. I also feel guilty if I am being the 'lazy' mommy by feeding my baby from the jars:hide:. I tried giving him pureed rice, a couple of times but he seemed to have not liked it and did not show much enthusiasm, and also could not digest it properly. Should I try a couple of times more? are the Gerber foods really not that good for the baby? Please let me know what you experienced mommies out there think...

2. DevikaS

DevikaS Senior IL'ite

at 10m your baby should be having a large variety in his diet.. my DS now 12m is having full table food.. stop the puree & introduce regular food..

3. kanchanbish

kanchanbish New IL'ite

freshly prepared food is always better then jar food.. once a day u can give jar food to the baby but rest of the time try to give him home made food. you can prepare daal and rice khichdi and then puree it in blender.. this khichdi is really very nuritious for baby.. i used to add vegetables also to the khichdi while cooking and then pureed it in blender..u can prepare different vegetables at home and then puree them.. i used to give my DS readymade cereal once a day.. while travelling also u can give jar food.. give him fresh fuits at snack time (mashed banana, apple puree, etc.) u have to slowly develop his taste for homemade food as this is what u will want when he grow up, it will be good for him and for u also as after some time u will not have to prepare separate food for him.. slowly slowly add texture to his food as he may be now only having pureed food..

4. lauren

lauren Senior IL'ite

Dear Mikku,

its very true that homemade foods are more nutritious than jar food...infact it needs to b started after 6 months onwards....if the baby is not consuming the pureed rice...fry some unpolished rice in ghee and thn boil it.give ur baby the stock of it with little salt...as this i tried giving it to my baby..and luckily was successfull....u can give ur baby puree of green soaked moong with a little bit of salt...let the puree b a thin one or rather smash it and add some water.....as this is considered more healthy...once the baby starts digesting the purees thn u can feed him the pureed veggies.....

Regards...

1 person likes this.
  5. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Thank you for the reply, Devika...he has only two teeth, I am worried if he will be able to digest regular food...will try to introduce regular food gradually...

6. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Thanks Kanchan, for the reply...yepp, will try to introduce food with texture, he has to get used to it...:)

7. simply_doubtful

simply_doubtful Gold IL'ite

hi mikku
    by the time your baby completes one year. he should be able to eat everything what adults are having. this info is from my pediatrician. include food with textures. by the time my son was 10 months old i started giving him rice and he used to love chapathis and rotis. also include cottage cheese in his diet. i also gave him gerber foods. but stopped giving them once he turned 9 months. the drawback on the gerber foods is that they are too sweet. babies need variety of foods. give him rice khichidi or rice pongal. my son loves rice pongal and he used to crawl all around me when i cooked it. :)
    Hansika

1 person likes this.
  8. aryanlady

aryanlady Junior IL'ite

Mikku,

My 2 cents. Dont feel bad about giving packaged food. Or dont feel bad at all for the kind of food you are feeding. Try keeping the guilt and parenting apart. I know a pediatrician who say a complete no-no for rice cereal as it is plain carbs. She recommends vegge purres. My pediatrician recommends rice cereals (pre-packaged) as it has iron contents which is very important in the first year...So u will hear different suggestions all around. In the end, see what you can do it in the long run. Would you be able to cook and serve seperately for your LO at home/ outside..If so, continue doing it. If not, make them eat what you eat regularly.

1 person likes this.