Uttara Karnataka Adige (north karnataka recipes)

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by RajshreeAkku, Jul 29, 2011.

1. RajshreeAkku

RajshreeAkku Silver IL'ite

***CHIGALI***

Ingredients:

Fresh brown tamarind around 3-4 lemon size
    salt
    mirchi powder 2 sp
    garlic 1 bulb
    kari patta 5-6
    jeera 2-3 sp

Method:

U need to first take out the threadlike portion of tamarind befor making chigali. Later, take tamarind and slat together and grind it though your hands in the hand-mixie. I mean the authentic "oralu" is the best one, but if u dont have it at home, th esmall one would do. If nothing is available, take the help of our mixer grinder. Never add water. Add all the ingredients together and when it gets powdered, take out, and with the help of a little oil on your palms, make small balls and make it as a lollipop on the toothpick or a small straw which u get with fruit juices...

mmm,,.....

here's how it looks like:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    DSC07925.JPG

[​IMG][​IMG]

AllizWell, coolpinky and vjbunny like this.
  2. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Re: Jawar Roti Recipe

Dear Kruthika,
    I have heard a lot about this but have not eaten it hope to try it ...but I am confused how much curds should be added? is this soft like susala ?

1 person likes this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Chigali my mouth is watering we used to make it when we were children and fluant it as lollypop to those who didnt know what it was...HahAha..

1 person likes this.
  4. marulamuniya

marulamuniya Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the chilli bhajji recipe Kruthika. I would love to try all versions of this dish as this is my husband's most favourite on earth.
    And thanks so much for reminding chigali (we used to call it something else, i don't remember ). My elder sister used to make it in 'oraLu'.. mouth watering...

1 person likes this.
  5. Padhmu

Padhmu IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kruthika,
    all your receipes look yummy. will try and let you know. thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  6. RajshreeAkku

@ padhmu: thanks padhmu, for your complements...

@vjb: yeah even we used to prepare chigali every summer during holidays... then the new tamarind used to enter the market.. and about Girmit, just add 2-3 spoons thats enough.. no its not like Susala,, its between normal churmuri and susala.. Neither too soft like susala or too crispy like normal one.. Hope u got it. :)

@Anitha: Thanks dear for stopping by,, please try it and impress ur hubby :) ;-)

All u please keep posting ur FBs on my dishes...

7. RajshreeAkku

Uttara Karnataka Adige

*** Khaarada kadubu***

This is the spicy version of the sweet kadubu, prepared for shravana maasa naivedya..

Ingredients:
    for the puri dough:
    Rice flour 2 cups
    Salt
    Oil 5-6 sp
    Water (enough to knead the rice flour to make thick puris from hand) same as chapati consistancy
    For stuffing:
    Urad dal 1/2 cup
    gram dal 1/2 cup
    Green chilli 5-6
    ginger 1"
    hing 2 pinchs
    jeera 3 sp
    coriander leves 1/2 bunch
    Kari patta 6-7

Method:
    Bring water to boil.add salt. Add rice flour to it and mix fast (same like u make Raagi mudde). Let it cool. After cooling, knead it well by hand by applying enough oil.

for stuffing, soak the urad dal and chana dal for 3-4 hrs. grind them with all the other ingredients, and transfer to a bowl.Add salt while grinding.

Now take a small ball of the dough and make puri from hands. (Its very difficult to do it with belan). Now place some stuff inside and cover it nicely. Giving it a shape od kadubu. Make all kadubus like this. Keep ready the idly cooker and steam all these kadubus in the idli stand. If you have a steamer, then that will also do.

Serve when warm, with Pudina chutney, or with ghee.

[​IMG]

8. RajshreeAkku

Re: North karnataka adige

***Paladye***

A very quick side dish for rice when there is no much time to prepare sambar..

Ingredients:
    Curds 1 cup
    Water 2 cups
    Gram flour- 2 sp
    Salt
    garlic crushed- 4-5 pieces
    haldi
    jaggery 1 sp
    dry red chillis/ green chillis per taste

Method:
    Beat the curds nicely. Add water. add all the other ingredients except salt. Heat ont he gas till it boils. Add seasoning with mustard seeds, kari patta, jeera and dry red chillis.

Tip:
    You can add any of these :pieces of cut cucumber, cut bhendi, cut pumpkin, etc for your flavour.

9. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kruthi...
    I have never eaten this version of Kharada Kadubu... in our case we make it with jola esply the ones with which we can t make good rotti...the method involves kneading jolada hittu and making balls and dopping this in boiling water and cook till it is cooked take out from water it can be eaten with kempu kara or can be seasoned with choicest greens like methi lvs, rajagiri etc

Will try your version...By the way are you on FB?

1 person likes this.
  10. RajshreeAkku

Hi Vjb,

Yeah I too know that version, what my MIL does is she adds all masala items (jeera, ground green chilli, salt, coriander leaves) in the dough itself, and then cooks as u said. Its very yummy too. My mom does this Rice flour kadubu which is my most fav. one and it takes more time compared to the jawar flour one.

No dear I am not in FB, Just this IL i have joined, otherwise I am not so social!! ;-) I have contact with my best childhood friends till now so no need to search anyone in FB.. Sorry dear....