Some festival recipes & Recipe related Queries

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sunkan, Aug 23, 2005.

1. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Some more filling

hai folks,
    a few more fillings to join the round...
    modhagam....
    chana dhall 1 cup
    brown sugar [vellam]3/4 cup
    ghee , cardomom....
    scraped coconut 1/2 cup
    dry roast the chana dhall for just a few minutes not very brown
    now add water and boil it in a open vessel until it reaches the level
    where u pinch it,,it gives away breaks.. now remove and strain on a towel when dry
    or u able to pick it up easy..put in mixie and dry grind now remove the powder
    and now add the vellam to kadai with water strain the sand and redo until u get rolling
    ball consistancy.. now add the powder and mix well as it is cooking add some ghee and the
    cardomom and coconut and bring it down leave it to cool then roll into balls and fill in
    kozhakattai......

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  2. manjula

manjula New IL'ite

modak

Can anyone please tell me more about Ganesh Chaturthi traditions?
    And also does anyone know how to make modak at home?

Thanks
    Manjula

3. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

If Pasta Can Be In Cheese Y Not Our Kozhakattai???

though it is painstaking i am sure u will enjoy the result..
    make the dough for kozhakattai which i have given pl refer...Kozhakattai dough

now take the dough for small balls [ammani] kozhakattai
    and fill it with pepper cheese small pieces and roll out the balls.
    steam cook as usual ...when done remove....now for the sauce....
    say for a 2cups of kozhakattai..
    1/2 litre milk.....large cube of cheese or as required..
    white butter 2 table spoon..
    maida 2 table spoon..and salt to taste..
    now heat the butter as it melts add the maida keep in mind to simmer while doing this
    as u have roasted the maida in butter add milk slowly until u get a sauce consistancy
    now add the milk and boil it and add some cheese and salt when it thickens pour over the boiled
    kozhakkattai....and season with finely chopped coriander or parsley or basil as according to ur
    taste.....have a grt time....sundari kannan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2005
  4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear jyoti,
    modakham is the filling inside, i have given the kozhakkattai kindly look in and do it....it is a rice flour dough made and this the filling hope i have cleared ur doubt....regards..sunkan

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

ganesha chathurthi is to ward off evil and give properity...

dear manjula i have given all abt modak...it is kozhakkattai...and in karnataka it is kadubu all the same, preparation diff....i brief abt pooja u need to have appam,aval ,pori pottukadalai, and cholam with its bark..and all the fav like grass,vilva pazham,tamarind with leaves, nellikkai with leaves and all what a elephant will relishm ...erukkam poo which is wild flower lavender in colour as garland.,and poonal along with the panju malai done in hand and a umbrella now ...u need to decor with garlands and then have all the leaves seperate and flowers seperate for archanai if u have a book just do it but if u dont a simple shuklam .....will do....kozhakkattai, payasam,vadai,idli,all these r kept as neivedyam.....as colour ful as possible and pray for prosperity......regards...sunkan

6. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

sugar syrup..

Hello Sunkan,

sure u must be busy with ur festive preparations but I have a question for u.

I think u are a well experienced person in cooking and I just want to know something.

I want to know all the tips related to preparing sugar syrup. I do understand 1 thread, 2 thread, 3/4 thread, etc. but what proportion of water and sugar should I add ?? that is my confusion.. The amount of water u add is equally important for any recipe. I read somewhere that the amount of water depends on which sweet u are preparing.. But is there any off hand equation which would help people like me?????????

I bake a lot and my Mom used to prepare sweets during festivals but now that I don't have an elderly person at home to guide me, I need this help.

Also, I wanna try out all traditional sweets before I'm diagnosed a diabetic. Another reason probably is Indian traditional preparations are a challenge as we have to compete with well-experienced, well-versed elders. Difficult and lengthy preparations interest me. During festivals its a pleasure to have home-made sweets and sharing it with our friends is quite an experience.

You can answer this question in leisure.

Hope I'm not troubling you.........

Finally, thank you so much for ur detailed explanation of how to go about with the Ganesh Pooja..... so sweet of you.....................

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2005
  7. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

the sugar syrup receipe

Dear meena, very simple i think all the sweets dont ask for more diluted except for gulab jamoon.....as u keep the sugar see it gets dipped in just enough water and keep stirring as u stir u remove the scum that come on top....and when u see a lot of bubbles just dip a spoon and touch it with ur fingers u will get the strand mentioned one or two sometime three it is the thickness that matters...the level of thickness for the sweet to get absorbed if it is something like gulab jamoon u just boil it for one strand just thickening but not too thick but absorbable...second come something like coating for some sweets in tirunelveli they make this manogaram with sugar syrup there u need it to coat hard surface so a little thicker would do....hope had been of help.....sundarikannan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2005
  8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Pon Onam around - How about chakkapradhaman

hai folks,
    onam around and i am sure it is not complete without some nice payasam,,i know a lot of people who have paal payasam very common,try out chakka [jackfruit] payasam this time around....
    jack fruit ripe and red ones one cup[cooked ones]
    jaggery deep red in color one cup
    cardomom[elakkai] 3to 4
    long sliced coconut a few strips
    dry ginger optional 1/2 tsp.
    ghee for frying....coconut 1.
    cashew a few and dry grapes for garnishing....
    cut the jackfruit into small bits or desirable size of pieces.
    steam cook without water...blend it in mixie
    now take the jaggery and remove any sand particles sieve
    thru and let it boil...add the jackfruit and keep stirring like halwa consistency....add some ghee once both r well cooked and blended...
    ....now scrape coconut and blend in mixie with some hot water and take out the milk 3 times....now add the thin 3rd milk first and mix well after a few minutes add the second a little thicker milk of coconut ....and lastly use the first thick milk and boil once it is the first sign on boiling remove as the oil may comeout and spoil the taste of payasam...fry the cashew,coconut strip,and dry grapes in ghee and garnish the payasam....people who dont like coconut milk can make it with plain milk....u cant store this jackfruit halwa kind in fridge and use whenever needed...u can also flavour one ladle of this with ur paaal payasam.............hope u enjoy...regards..sundarikannan

9. roja

roja Junior IL'ite

I tried salt seedai

Hi Sunkan,

I tried salt seedai. I used the readymade rice flour I got here in the Indian stores and it did come out well. Your tips about the consistency in rolling was helpful.
    Thanks.

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

happy been of help

hai roja,
    nice to hear a good response....very happy that i had been of help......regards..sundarikannan...