Chitvish Recipes - Post your comments here (part 4)

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Chitvish, Sep 14, 2010.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Dear Maami,
    My regular quinoa recipe is a quick Quinoa Dosai. Soak it for a couple of hours and grind it. Add some urad batter and make dosais. I usually add some fruit salt to the batter before making dosais. You can substitute half quinoa and half rice while making idli batter for the longer version of quinoa dosai.

I have tried Quinoa pulao once but I didnt get 'udhir udhir' grainy texture. May be I overcooked it. One of my friends made Quinoa pongal and was raving about it. I try to substitute it in place of lapsi like Quinoa bahalabath etc., That's as far as my imagination goes. I am sure you can innovate more. Waiting for Quinoa recipes from you!

Yesterday Made Mushroom Biryani. I didnt have patience to bake it in foil. So used the regular biryani method. It came out good and the whole cooking was done in no time. The whole GD thing has taught me portion control. I hope I continue this after delivery also.

Thanks,
    Aswini

Thanks,
    Aswini

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitramma,

This is venpongal and onion puli gotsu here, and not the fajitas as promised :) I had to skip lunch due to some work, and badly carved a SI MEAL! Cud not buy tortillas, will get it done tomorrow pucca. Can zuchinni be substituted with anything else?

I had a quinoa salad here. It was cooked and chilled quinoa+onions+cherry tomatoes (whole)+lemon+basil or thyme ( dont know) and a crunch of pecans on top. I think you can add cilantro, or peanuts for it. This salad is served on a lettuce bed with freshly baked grain bread, and orange tea. It is a good meal, but very expensive for daily meal! I am sure you can innovate with it, in a SI way.It does taste and feel like a cross between lapsi and sabudana.

As always pongal was aweeessomme, esp in pressure cooker now. I forgot to add in the previous post, alu methi was the first to make in the methi list!

Love,
    Arch

3. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

Dear C,

Coming here after a long time.MIL is here and Iam enjoying her authentic recipes and Iam becoming lazy day by day:hide:.

Made channa masala yesterday.I did not soak channa overnight and it was soaked for 5 hrs exactly.I must say I got the right consistency.It was not mushy.I had gone through the peshavari chole,kabul channa - south indian way and mixed both the recipes in the right proportion.It was out of the world.we had it with pooris.Iam sure it was close to restaurant taste.we had it for today's idlis too.MIL says Iam an expert in cooking...hehe...I only know the real truth:coffee

Thanks a lot for the recipes.My next target is poondu milagu kuzhambu.its tempting my taste buds.My baby loves all such stuff.So it will be a treat for him.

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Good, will look forward to your FB!!

5. Chitvish

Thanks, Aswini.
    A Guju friend gave me a pulao recipe with kodri - I now think, it is quinoa!!
    I will try pongal, being a pongal lover. But I am told, quinoa has to be pre cooked; so wondering how to try pongal:idontgetit:
    I definitely plan to try salad & will do dosai also.
    Let me see :biggrin2:

6. Chitvish

Arch, you can use cucumber instead of zucchini, I feel.
    Your description of the salad is so good!!
    Tomorrow I plan to post a Low calorie Kheer which I made today with the latest Hatsun 98.5% fat free milk!!
    Aswini, you must try it! I used sweetener as well & fada.
    Thanks, Arch :)

7. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Dear Chithra Maami,

Back after a long time. I made Ashoka last night and it was such a yummy recipe and so easy to make!! I was amazed how quickly this dish came together. As Visu would say in Samsaaram adhu Minsaaram, "daggu daggu nnu pochu" into my belly!! My kids loved it too. Roasted flour gave such a wonderful flavor. Full of protein..big plus! Loved it!!

Thanks for a yummy, quick treat. Will be back with more!
    Love,
    Sakshi..:)

8. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Chitra Maami,

Speaking of Quinoa, I did try you lapsi biryani recipe with Quinoa. It came out quite good. The grains were mushy initially but they became uthir uthir once they cooled a little bit. I do 1:2 or 2.5 Quinoa to water proportion. I followed your recipe for thayir lapsi and made thayir Quinoa. That dish turned out good too.

I was not too fond of the Quinoa flavor initially but now it does not seem to bother me. Acquired taste..i guess..atleast for me!

Sakshi..:)

9. kmala

kmala New IL'ite

Pls help to guide me how to make jalebi

10. Saraswathipv

Saraswathipv IL Hall of Fame