anyone from kampala-Uganda

Discussion in 'Indians in Africa' started by Mahajanpragati, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

dear kalpesh,
    well,i guess its really hard to suggest what buisness to start in uganda .
    u must come here urself & do research according to ur budget....
    i want to say that here Indiansbuisnessmen are present in all fields so whatever is ur strong point u can try that field

2. usha mahesh

usha mahesh New IL'ite

Dear Pragati,

Hi! Iam usha here. and iam new to this site. I read lot of your threads on Kampala. My husband is transferred to Kampala from Wipro Infotech. he is supposed to Join by 15th Feb. Came to know from your threads that it is a wonderful place.

I wanted to know the cost of living there. What is the Currency and what is the INR equiavent. ie our one INR is equivalent to what?

Where can we look for accomodation?

Rgds

USha Mahesh

3. praesne

praesne New IL'ite

Hello Everyone,

Could anyone please tell me the culture of kampala,i mean the food,nature,culture,cost of living,safety of the family,etc because i got the oppurtunity in kampala but lot of confusion is going on in my mind regarding this...

Please let me know the details and thanks in advance..

4. praesne

praesne New IL'ite

Hi Usha,

Is your husband shifted to kampala now and working there, please let me know the details if you get....because im also frm wipro infotech(UAE) and planning to move kampala but looking for indians who are currently staying there....

@pragati: i think you have lot of idea about the city ,please suggest us and it would be gr8 helpful...

5. clarity

clarity New IL'ite

Hey Vijay!
    did u jion the company finally or not????
    I've got an offer from the company too..was hoping to hear from some Indian who has worked there.
    Wish you had a number registered that i could call. DOnt know if you'd see this message...do let me know if the comopany is good?!
    Pragati, has said enough about the safety and general info already so i dont have queries there.

6. datoram

datoram New IL'ite

Dear All,

Very Interesting and good information for fellow Indians like me to know about most of the things.

I got an offer from a company called "Spencon Services limited", a construction company. I was in a dilema whether to accept the offer but after going through this forum, I decided to take up the offer and sent my acceptance today. I have to really thank Pragati for providing so much info about this place.

I have some more queries as follows:
    1. Is there any flight from chennai to kampala? if so how many hours?
    2. I have driving license from India, Malaysia, Qatar, Oman & UAE. Is it possible to convert any of the above license to local license? What system they follow? Keep left (RH drive) or keep Right (LH Drive)?
    3. In middle east. the employer keeps our passport. What about in Uganda?
    4. Initially I am planning to stay as a bachelor for some time. South Indian food available?
    5. My kids are in CBSE sylabbus (6th std & 9th std). I would like to maitain the same sylabbus. Can anybody provide me about DPS contacts?
    6. My wife is a dentist, I would like to know about job oppurtunities or do private practice there?
    7. Uganda. Kenya, Tanzania etc are adjoining countries and great tourist attraction for jungle safaris. Is it very expensive? can we travel by road from one country to other country? Visa available at entry points?
    8. How is the work permit? one year or 2 years?
    9. Any Indian temples? Weekend movies? Availability of DVD's?
    10. Electronic items, is it expensive compared to India?
    Regards

Ramanathan

7. Mahajanpragati

dear datoram,
    i will try to answer your queries to my best ability
    1.flights are avaliable from all major airports..can chk kayak.com,emirates,kenyan,ethopian airlines operate & their websites can be checked
    2.driving is same as in india.........need to get licence which takes 15-20 days
    3.well,not heard about employees keeping passport but try to avoid such situation
    3.DPS is CBSE & session starts in march......try post by geetha for phone no
    4.numereous resturants & nearly all serve south indian food...costly but available....u can try a housegirl who had worked with southindian family.........
    5.few indain hospitals are there so wife can easily get job......
    6.yes,one can travel by road to countries mentioned.....tourism is costly but worth every dollar.......mostly visa is on arrival in east african countries....

7.work visa is usually for a year renewable each year.....still chk with your company
    8.indain temple is there in kampala & entebbe........lots of south indian associations (state specfic)
    9.cineplex is there which usually have an indian movie running......dvds usually available..but get few of ur favourites.
    10.electronics all available but costly.........cost of living is higher then india
    i guess that covers all
    pragati

8. Ramya3

Ramya3 New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,
    Nice reading your thread.My husband got a job in uganda.currently we are in Malaysia and my children are schooling here.I would like to know, will he be able to call us to uganda after one month of his arrival to uganda as we can join our children in the schools,so that their schooling will not be much affected.

9. Mahajanpragati

hi ramaya,
    sure your husband can call you within one mth .welcome to kampala
    pragati

10. Ramya3

Ramya3 New IL'ite

Hi Pragati,
    Thanks for your reply.I would like to know how is the standard of living in Uganda and also the standard of schools in Kampala?Mainly I want to know about the DPS and International schools standard there?My children are studying here in Malaysia under Singapore syllabus.That's why I have this doubt.
    AsI came to know from expat blogs by foreigners about the power cut in Uganda.How severe is it?Also they had mentioned about malaria.Is it that much serious as they have mentioned?How do Ugandans mingle and their attitude towards Indians?Iam asking this as they look rough and tough.
    When I read your thread Pragathi,I feel comfortable,but still there is a fear about africa and africans in one corner of my mind when somebody say why you go to africa...... Waiting for the reply.

Regards,

Ramya thamilarasan.