That Stupid Fairness Cream

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by chinni86, May 10, 2011.

1. Samee

Samee New IL'ite

Absolutely true. Nice msg chinni...:thumbsup Stupid is really not the fairness cream.. its the mind set of our Indian girls & ladies..:cry:

2. kannooz

kannooz New IL'ite

hai chinni..where u in california

3. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

I dont think this is by any one section of society. This is prevalent in many sections and spread across.

4. jyoti478

jyoti478 New IL'ite

Hi Chinni,

I too have heard it many times, "Oh, u r so beautiful, but only if u were fair". I never felt the need to use fairness creams, because I knew they contain chemicals and also are a temporary respite. I just took my color as god-gift and realised in the long run that beauty does not pertain to color or features but to having a good heart. A beautiful heart can make your face shine, ur body language attractive. That is the reason that wn u meet some people , u do not feel like talking to them for more than 2 minutes, but u can become good friends with people who r beautiful inside. I think this fact only should be impressed on to our children. Taking care of our body is important, but it should not be because of other people's comments. Good health, fitness and peaceful mind are the most important things in the world. When u r in love with life, u glow!!!! :wave

5. ixora

ixora New IL'ite

Here, in my country also people are busy with fair skin. Wonder what is actually in a fair skin? I'm happy with my skin colour because I belief, every skin colour has its own beauty within. So, just appreciate with what I am blessed as long with healthy skin.

6. shameema

shameema Senior IL'ite

It is really a sad fact that we face such problems only in a place like India. Cos' most of them with dark complexion are not being given a priority. Even if they are good at something they are not appreciated. They are being snubbed. This is one of the main reason why they go in for the so called "Stupid Fairness Cream". The community in large, is not aware of its origin and side effects.

Great going to all those people who replied to this thread .

Please remember no cream can stand as a substitute for your inner beauty.:thumbsup

7. luxsuresh

luxsuresh Senior IL'ite

hi Bhuvnidhi,

Nice to know that u r also from Doha.Which school does ur child study in? My child studies in Birla public. These issues happened when v came here newly 2 yrs. back . But now, she has many friends and they do not comment anything about her. My child is very affectionate by nature and by her loving behaviour she has made many friends and now she is happy. Initially when she used to tell me that kids comment on her colour i used to even feel that i should go back to India and did not want her to get all those stupid complexes in this age itself. But now things are fine. Nowadays, she never talks to me regarding the colour. She believes that she is very beautiful and cute looking even though a little less colour.

Thanx for ur views in this issue.

Laxmi

8. luxsuresh

luxsuresh Senior IL'ite

Hi Bhuvnidhi,

Moreover, u need not disagree with me b'coz i have also said that Fair is beautiful but not necessary that only fair ppl are beautiful. I hv also mentioned with examples.

9. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Dear LuxSuresh,

My kid is in DMIS.Good to know that your kid has overcome the hurdle.:thumbsupVery happy to see a QatarIlite here.We can discuss a lot about Qatar stuffs in "Indians in Qatar".Hope to see you there.

Where has Chinni gone?

I just read this in some article.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In South Asia

Even prior to any interactions between Europeans and South Asians, colorism has been an issue for South Asian cultures. According to Communist revisionist historians, color prejudice was introduced due to Aryans from Central Asia invading India in ancient times and subjugating the "dark" indigenous Indians. This form of negationist historical revisionism was part of the British colonial ideology. Much of these theories were simply conjecture fueled by European imperialism. This styling of an Aryan invasion by British colonial fantasies of racial supremacy was incorporated by Communist revisionists as part of waging a Trotskyist permanent revolution in India between perceived "whites" and "darks", and has no basis in genetic or anthropological studies of South Asian populations. More recent studies have also debunked the British claims that so-called "Aryans" and "Dravidians" have a "racial divide". A study conducted by the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in 2009 (in collaboration with Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Public Health and the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT) analyzed half a million genetic markers across the genomes of 132 individuals from 25 ethnic groups from 13 states in India across multiple caste groups.[21] The study establishes, based on the impossibility of identifying any genetic indicators across caste lines, that castes in South Asia grew out of traditional tribal organizations during the formation of Indian society, and was not the product of any mythical "Aryan Invasion" and "subjugation" of Dravidian people, unlike what British racial-revanchist and revisionist claims would have one believe.[22]
    The study does go on to state that there were two different populations that originally settled India. They were the Ancestral North Indian (ANI) in the north and the Ancestral South Indian (ASI) in the south. Over time these groups mixed together.
    Traditionally, Hinduism has never shown a preference for skin color and dark skinned people can be found in all castes of Hindu society. In the Mahabharata, the character known as Krishna was of dark complexion but was an epitome of beauty. The incarnation of Vishnu, Krishna himself (widely revered by Vaishnavites), was said to be "as black as a full raincloud".
    Individuals in South Asia have tended to see whiter skin as more beautiful. This was most clearly visible in British India, where skin color served as a signal of high status for British. Thus, those individuals with fairer skin color enjoyed more privileges and opportunities than those with dark skin. Anglo-Indians with more European features were often more upwardly mobile and were considered[who?] to have a more affluent status. These individuals gained preferences[clarification needed] in education and in employment. Darker skinned individuals were socially and economically disadvantaged due to their appearance. (Beyond the South Asian subcontinent, persons who were dark-skinned, "black" or "colored" faced a disadvantage in most European-held colonies.) Most Indian actors and actresses have light skin.[23]
    A documentary entitled Shadeism looks closer at how skin color effects the mindset of women.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it true that the fair skinned get more opportunities in education and employment than dark skinned in India?Isn't education in the country based on merits?

10. sushmitatkb

sushmitatkb New IL'ite

I agree with the story of your friend you have shared....it is one of the hopeless mentality some of the people has....in my opinion generally illiterate people has such stupid mentality.....i know some of the similar cases thats why I can say that.