Which brand Wheat flour is best?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by SSSMagic, May 13, 2011.

1. SSSMagic

SSSMagic Bronze IL'ite

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> [FONT=&quot]Hi Friends[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Which brand Wheat flour is good?
    I'm using Philsberry and aasirwath.Is it good?
    And in making chappathy its always a trouble to me...
    My chap is not soft..
    How to prepare soft chap? My MIL using worm oil while making the dough and while preparing chap...She dust the chap with rice flour While preparing chap is it ok to use rice flour in chap??
    As am in diet i dont want to use oil...Shall i use Rice Flour for dusting??
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

2. Soumedh

Soumedh Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Pilsbury wheat atta is good.
    To get soft chapati,you have to add a pinch of salt and a spoon of curd to atta and mix with water for the consistency,kneed well and keep aside for few minutes.When you roll in to shape use wheat flour only for dusting.When you roll out round shape apply a drop of oil then fold and roll it.While on tava toss it again with one or two drops of oil.These chapati's stay soft longer.Storing these in a caserrole also recommanded to retain its softness.Some people store in a aluminium foil or in plain cotton cloth it depends on their conveniance.
    If you want to avoid oil totally then to get softer chapati's you have to knead atta with a spoon of curd,well in advance and keep for half an hour or so.
    Rgds

3. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

I use Aashirwad atta (red color pack). It is pure wheat flour

My tip would be to use some warm water while kneading. Also knead it till it is soft and when you press your finger in the dough,it is go in without much effort. Also please make sure you can roll them comfortably.

Trial and error is the best method and stick to the measurements when it comes out right.

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

I recommend Ashirwaad atta as well as the multigrain atta.

5. deevya

deevya New IL'ite

I think Pillsbury Aata is the best. To make rotis soft try adding about 2-3 tsps of milk while making the dough. I always do that as I make the rotis and keep it in caserole at night to take away next day to office.

6. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

hi,

if you are in india, why dont you buy whole wheat and get it grinded from the mill.

I used to do that in india, in 3kg of wheat, i used to add 250 gm of soya also, and send it in the mill. best is that.

also like someone said, use hot water for kneading the dough.

Our grocery shop is to get it grinded from the mill.

or you can check with ur maid, if there is any near their house, and can she take and bring it back for you.

7. sudjk

sudjk New IL'ite

Ashirwad is good. while kneading atta, add i tsp of oil n knead with plain water. the magic lies in kneading.the dough should be very soft to get soft phulkas or chappatis... i hve been making chappatis for dinner for the past 15 yrs... it is only practise n patience that is needed. best wishes to all.

8. rajisiwaa

rajisiwaa New IL'ite

pillsbury is the best atta i am using past 6 yrs.i have tried other brand's atta also compare to all it is good for the colour and the taste.to get soft chapathi add 1 tsp ghee and adequate water and give good massage by ur palm.
    Finally add 1tsp oil on the top of the mixing and leave it atleast halfhour u can get good soft chapathi like buri .no need to add hot water and not necessary for oil when u press...
    Please use a broad size vessel like kadai while u prepare the mix so that u can make the mix comfortably.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  9. geetadamle

geetadamle Silver IL'ite

I use golden temple "100% whole wheat" atta simply for the reason that it is healthy.

10. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

I did that and my body is refusing anything made from that soya mixed wheat flour.

Yes, every department store sells quality wheat grains and it is better to grind it rather than buying months old packed branded stuff.