Can I get a job?

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by soumyapr, May 7, 2011.

1. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

It is just a matter of practice. Dont start with answering the questions. Start with learning the formulae. With some practice you will feel very comfortable with quant and analytical questions.

Dont worry about what others say. If people want to bring you down or find fault with you, they will find fault with one thing or the other, no matter how perfect you are. From your post, it looks like you are more afraid of your in-laws making fun of you than the concern about landing a job.

If you want to pursue a job or higher education, just go ahead and do what interests you. Dont do anything out fo peer/society pressure. It is your life and you live the way you want to. Learn to ignore the comments of your in-laws.

2. agnath

agnath Silver IL'ite

It is very unfortunate that even in the litterate society you are not being treated well because of kids. But it is nice that you have thought of doing something of your own, good, . There are many profession you can try starting a B.Ed, ( forms are just out last date still not over), journalism, book reviews, or even bpo back office jobs, all these are people oriented work, will give you a lot of exposure , improve your skills, will give you self confidence, and above all an identity of your own. So my dear friend, get up enroll and move ahead. all the best.

3. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Racr,I checked out TWB website about technical writing. They have certificate programs and 1 year diploma program too. I will call them and find about it. Thanks, I think this type of training can help me as I have degree in English too. but I have a doubt, I browsed jobs relating to technical writing and many of them ask for a BE BTech. If I do a short 2 month training can I get any beginning level job in this field? I would love to do a diploma one-year training course but it seems more expensive. Though they say on their website 100% placement, but I assume that is not always the case. Please share anything more you know about it.

I had enough of nonsense from them and to ignore them I started looking for a job. But now I want to do something to improve my self-esteem that has been badly damaged. I am really keen on doing a job. I am not thinking career right now, but if I do a professional course I hope to build one.
    Thank you for your tips on prep, do you have any idea what is the level of quant in MAT?

Agnath, thanks I will check about forms. Can you tell more about bpo back office jobs? I searched on job sites most are night shift jobs. Are there admin jobs in bpo in day-shifts?

4. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Hi Sowmyapr,
    I'm a bit wary of the 100% placement thing,am sure thats just a gimmick.A word of caution,friend,please do a thorough background check before enrolling in any such course.I dont have any personal exp with TWB ,so cant comment on how reliable they are.
    You also need to verify that they do give a certificate which will be a tangible proof for employment.I don't think there's anything they teach at these places one cant learn on their own.The main attraction is the placement assurance
    I suggest you post another thread in this forum,just related to this-Address it specific to those who are into technical writing,how they got into the profession,what courses they did etc.Am sure there will be someone who can help out.
    Symbiosis,also offers tech writing and ID courses.I know you don't want to do online courses,but the course syllabus will give you an idea what to expect.

5. racr

racr Platinum IL'ite

Rashmii,
    I guess the last reply from me should apply to you as well.Please check out details regarding any course before taking it up,as all of them cost so much.
    Online courses-Symbiosis.Not sure about IGNOU.
    You can go through the TWB website and see if they have short term courses.
    Hope this helps.Keep the faith!

6. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

You have free online mock tests for MAT which give you a fair idea. Google for free+mat+mock+tests.

7. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

I feel really bad to hear that.

Dont know why inlaws behave like that.Even their daughter can go through same phase or their son might have problem.
    But i think you should nt bother about someone who dont bother about you.
    In this situation job or getting out becomes more important for you.

It might be harder but not impossible.Just get out of house,start talking to people,neighbours friends.You might find some ideas or oppurtunities.
    Start some course like B Ed Exam...etc.It is mandatory for teachers job i guess.
    You can start from basic level. Show them your previous experience.

8. soumyapr

soumyapr Senior IL'ite

Thank you for the encouragement. I do try to meet people, but often someone or the other makes a passing remark about my age and my biological clock ticking away. I understand that they don't want to be mean, but even a slight reminder of this issue from a complete stranger is enough to throw me in a fit of depression. This is why I have become so home-bound. My doctor is helping me in this. I hope that with a full-time job I will have more to do than think about my problems.

Thank Racr for the caution, I will find more information.

Rashmii, if you find some information about TWB please share on this thread.

I received more encouragement on this thread than I ever got in real life.

9. sudhachandrasek

sudhachandrasek Bronze IL'ite

Take up a job in some nearby creche and later u can open one on your own.
    That way you have a job and will also be surrounded by children always.
    You can also adopt a child if u want. I can give u one contact if u r interested.

10. Dhaanika

Dhaanika Gold IL'ite

Soumya, C'mon, you have so many skills from what I read with your replies on this thread. Always remember: you can accomplish many things if you stick it out, just trust yourself girl. Focus on your strengths and on what makes you feel competent, rather than trying to please someone else. That will work for your confidence, and if you feel happy in your own skin, most all problems can be tackled and it becomes a lot easier to handle those little curve balls life throws at us.

I know how much of a beating our confidence takes from the hurdles you mentioned, but I'd just say, stick it out and don't worry about people telling you all those potential negatives about age, kids, not being good enough for some study, or the comparisons with SIL etc. Those factors will always be there waiting to eat up your confidence, in some form or the other. But the sooner you start doing what you want, the closer you will be to achieving those goals and get out of this phase that is causing you unhappiness. Good luck, and hang in there, it will definitely get easier once you start moving toward your goals!

PS: Also, I don't know but you might also want to look at bank-related jobs, I believe there are exams for it... I could find out more about those if that's something that interests you. It will fit your skill set as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2011