1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Weekend Over-eating

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by chinni86, Apr 28, 2011.

1. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

Hey girls,

So I've been noticing that most of us end up over-eating on the weekends. It is hard to control our tongue when we do so well during the week, only to ruin it in the weekend.

While it is okay to not maintain your weekday diet on Saturdays and Sundays, especially for those of us who have an active social life, here's what I do to control my food in-take.

It's called Portion Control.

I don't like offending my hosts when I go to their house to eat. Not everyone I know is calorie conscious or even cares about loosing weight. It really disappoints me when they make food loaded with ghee and try and finish everything the same night, without realizing they are walking on the road to disaster. Many of them even laugh at me for being so careful about what I eat. It does make me angry that my goal to lose weight and be fit is taken as a joke. Simply because other's don't have the will power to control their cravings.

Portion control involves food sampling. You eat everything on the menu, but only eat limited quantities.

Let's say that the menu contains a 5 course South Indian meal, from payasam (kheer) to thayir saadham.(dahi chaval)

Here's what I do:

1 vadai (and if I can, I'll even split that with my hubby)
    half a cup of rice (which I split 50/50 between sambhar and rasam)
    half a cup of thayir saadham.

I keep an eye out for anything healthy. Like a salad or a raita.

If there's pizza at the party, I'll have ONLY ONE slice of it and fill myself with juice. No diet coke or diet pepsi. Sodas are the worst enemy for those of us trying to lose weight.

If there's naan and chicken curry, I'll have ONLY the CHICKEN. Keep the gravy out since that has most of the oils. And my naan will be a plain naan. No ghee.

If there are drinks(alcohol), I prefer to carry my own. The only drink I'd go for then is a vodka soda with lemon (the least alcoholic calories ;-) )

The goal here is to control and eat till you are satisfied. NOT TO BINGE. If there's chocolate coated strawberries, just ONE piece.

Remember the eat slowly. The slower you eat, the lesser you eat.

Remember, you didn't workout hard all week, only to PIG OUT on the weekend and then start the whole process the next week again.

We are human beings, not animals that can't control ourselves :)

Hope this helps. It helped me for sure!

2. anees

anees Silver IL'ite

Nice post Chinni. Good tips. What about appetizers? totally skip it? My weakest part id desserts. I just cant say no. I can control rice /roti/naan , I mean the carbs. Sometimes I eat just the curries. Let me practice the tips this weekend. Have 2 parties to go .

Anees

3. Rums

Rums Silver IL'ite

yes. I agree. Some people look at you as though you are crazy if you eat less and make you eat more. They don't want to keep fit and they don't want others to do so too. Portion control is the best. Good post!!!

4. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

I know how you feel. I find it tough to resist dessert too. But the goal here is to do portion control. So if you end up eating a slice of chocolate cake, split it with somebody. A plate of gulab jamun, split it with somebody. That way, you not only get to taste it, but it doesn't go straight to your hips :)

I leave out the appetizers completely. Those are the worst. Because when you eat appetizers, you can't eat anything else. And then your friends will try and shove something more down your throat and if you don't eat it, they'll get offended.

So pick wisely!! :)

5. lakshmisumesh

lakshmisumesh Senior IL'ite

Thanks a lot chinni. Will do it. I have completely stopped taking sweets. But when I look at one I start craving. Maybe I should follow your suggestions. Eat little,so that I wont crave for it. :)

6. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

thanks

you have opened my eyes.... given a wonderful tips

i will try to follow your method

priya

7. FirSrk

FirSrk Senior IL'ite

Chinni,

Even my weakness is dessert. Everything else I can resist. But I have reduced my portions in everything and I try to skip the most unhealthy dish and fill my plate with salad.
    Your comment about attitude of other people is very true. Firstly, they dont wana help you eat healthy. Secondly, they wana do as much damage as they can trying to load your plate with the unhealthy stuff and taunting you about portion control and dieting etc. I hate it.

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very well said Chinni. This is truly the bane of our efforts at dieting. For those who are at home at weekends, the temptation to open various containers and have a go at snacks is also very high. Therefore I avoid buying any of those these days.

As for parties, if it is a buffet meal, it is not difficult to go around, take a look at all the food on offer and then to pick discriminatingly and opting for the healthiest ones. It certainly is not difficult once learns the art of doing this.

Thanks for this useful bit of information.

9. manjubashini

manjubashini IL Hall of Fame

hi chinni,

Shown a good path. Me too cant resist with desserts. If i take it i wont take anything. let me try out ur ideas too.

Rgds

manjusai

10. chinni86

chinni86 Bronze IL'ite

How did people do this weekend with the diet? :)