1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling to Chicago for 6 months !! Need Help

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Hifriend, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hifriend

Hifriend New IL'ite

:bonkHi,

I am travelling to chicago for 6 months. It's my first trip an am very confused about what Luggage(Basics to be carried)/type of clothing should I carry.

While browsing internet goto know abt this wonderful site and was releived by the wonderful response fiven for the Various Queries asked.

I am sure i will get the same.

Please Relpy !!!:)

2. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

Hi...

You need to carry following things
    Warm cloths,Pressure cooker, masala powders ,some basic utensils like rolling pin, tea stainer, nonstick tava, frying pan .

Right now I will say bring these things if I remember anything ,I will add it later.

Thanks & happy journey

3. doctor

doctor New IL'ite

I live in USA. You should be able to find everything here at desi stores. Just bring a lot of warm clothes, jackets for winter. You should be able to buy thermal under wears from here. You can also bring them with you if you want.

4. Hifriend

Hifriend New IL'ite

Hi Doctor and Smith21181,

Thanks a Ton for the swift response. Atleast now i have an idea what needs to be carried. I will be in rosemont in Chicago. Will it be easy to find an accomadation.
    I will be getting accomadtion for the intial few days thru my company but later I need to Find some. How long the Weather will be cold in Chicago.

sorry to bother with so many questions.

5. smith21181

smith21181 Senior IL'ite

You are welcome....

About weather , till march 2 nd week it would be cold ,I guess.
    Here you will get everything in Indian stores ,but its better to carry some utensils & some basic masala powders with you .
    About appt. i dont have any idea, as I never been to chicago. But I think You can easily find it on internet & you will get it in within 2 weeks .

Hope this helps.

6. MythiliMurali

MythiliMurali Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I don't know which area you have to work/live in Rosemont. But it has a good commute to-fro Des Plaines (a good desi community).
    Just bring the things that you need them immediatly I mean the things that you don't need to run finding the shop as soon as you arrive.
    I guess you don't need thermals for the coming months. But you need one heavy & one light jacket which u can buy one of them here. Burlington Coat Factory & KMart are good for winter clothes. From late March/early April you can wear medium-light jackets. Summer ranges from May-Sep in Chicago.
    Also you need:
    --> safety pins-needle-thread(safe side)
    -->Our blanket for Summers. Since I didn't find any small size/single sheet summer blanket here. Anyway you need to buy quilt here to keep you warm.
    -->Pressure Cooker is a must, & you can bring all light weighted ones as much as you can since you don't need to do immediate shopping.
    Will get back to you again when I something else.

7. shree

shree Silver IL'ite

hi,

hearty welcome to chicago. the weather should be better from march 1st week onwards, already the snow has started melting, its better to have a jacket if you r travelling for the first time.

we live 30 min away from rosemont. if u have a train that goes till your destination then u can come to our community. u let me know the exact place of work so that i can tell u if train goes there. ours is also a good indian community.

8. sreekulu

sreekulu New IL'ite

Hi,

You are coming to chicago which has a very good indian community and Devon street in chicago has almost all indian stores possible. Just bring what you can't do without, like clothes,toiletries(lotions,makeup,soap) etc which you need so that you don't have to go shopping immediately. If you are coming for a short visit don't bother bringing blankets and all.Especially with the limits in airline bag weights. Bring some of your necessary masala's ( like sambar masala) which you need for immediate use. Bring a roti belan if you eat rotis everyday. Bring good perfume and deodorant.

This page of mine will be useful for you I think

LIST OF THINGS

9. Hifriend

Hifriend New IL'ite

Hi,

Thanks a Ton to all of you for the great response.

Atleast Now before coming to an unknown land i now have so many wondeful friends like you. Now the most important thing is i need to find an accomodation. My office adress is shafer court in Rosemont, Suite 100. It would be great if i cud find an accomodation nearby to the office..what wud be the rent like if i go for an independent accomodation if in case i am not able to search for an shared one.

Pls let me know.

10. Hifriend

Hifriend New IL'ite

Hey Friends,

No reply on my previous post.. please help