1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Schools in India?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ptamil2007, Feb 8, 2011.

1. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Ilites,

We are living in Ireland and my son is going to be 3 years old.
    I have gathered information about schooling in Ireland.
    But to understand what is the current schooling in India - I need some information from you parents.

Few questions I have

1. What is the age at which the child starts school - LKG or Jr. KG as it was called in my times?
    2. What is the availabilities like - I have heard you would have to register 2-3 years before hand? Is this true?
    3. Any information on these new International schools started recently - what is their grading system etc..

Any other information related would be greatly helpful

Thanks
    Pavithra

2. Shraavya

Shraavya New IL'ite

Hi Pavithra
    The right age to admit a child in LKG (Lower Kinder Garten) in India is 3 and half years. The academic session is from mid-June to April in almost all the schools in India.
    As far as I know, one need not register 2-3 yrs in advance for getting admission into LKG.
    And I am sorry, no idea about International schools in India

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Age criteria for LKG depends on the board and state in which you will be living. For CBSE it is 3 and a half in the June of that year (ie cut off will be Dec eg for this years LKG cut-off will be Dec 2007), while for TN state board it is 3 years in June (so cut off is June 2008). However many schools these days have a pre-KG which starts a year earlier (2 and a half) and they finish admissions at the pre-KG level itself with very few or no admissions at LKG. In general its easiest to get admitted at the first level the school offers; any in-between admissions are likely to be very very difficult or impossible.Most schools do not have a registration system (in Chennai the only one I know where you do that is Sishya where you register at birth) but the competition for admission can be fierce, right from queuing for the application to interviews to allotment so you will need to apply to several places and use all the 'influence' you have.Admission is easier in smaller/less well-known schools of course. International schools tend to follow either the Cambridge International syllabus or the IB syllabus (some also have CBSE or ICSE) and are affiliated to either. The fees will be much more than the regular schools and the student crowd tends to be more elitist but admissions are easier and some offer round-the-year admissions.
    If you are planning to RtI then I think you should zero in on your location first and then take it from there. If you will be coming back after your DS is 5/6 years old then you can also check the NCERT textbooks (available for free download online) and gauge how ready he is for his age-level grade here.

Vanathi.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you soo much Vanathi for the very precise and the information I was just looking for.

Thanks
    Pavithra

5. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

I cannot thank you enough Vanathi for this. I logged into to ask about what all is taught in 1st grade and you gave idea for free online textbooks. Thank you very much.