Ask here - The recipes you want from ChitVish

Discussion in 'Ask ChitVish' started by Priya Amarnath, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rosy

rosy New IL'ite

Thai Recipe

Hello Lakshmi,
    I know two type of thai recipes. One is Tom Yam soup And another is Som Tam salad.
    Both are vegetarian.About soup idont know the ingredients name in english.
    But I prepare som tam salad almost daily.
    Recipe is floows
    Som Tam (Green Papaya salad)
    ( Hot and spicy)
    Ingredients:

4 cups- grated raw papaya
    1/2 cup finely shredded carrotts
    2 tablespoons fried peanuts crushed
    4 cherry tomatoes halved
    4 whole fresh red chillies crushed
    1 cloves of garlic crushed (optional)
    2 tablespoons lemon (manao) juice
    2 tablespoon(s) jeggary
    salt to taste
    Method:

1. Combine the crushed garlic, peanuts, and red chillies in a bowl.
    2. Toss in the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
    Tossing is very important.
    Garnish with some more crushed peanuts and red chilli.

you can change above ingradeints according to your taste. If you like sour you can put more lemon. If you a non vegitareianuou can add 1 tablespoon(s) fish sauce (nam pla) and dried small prowns.
    By
    Rosy

Last edited: May 27, 2006
  2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

joraana FB

Dear Mrs Chithra,

In the last couple of days have made pineapple race, pineapple gojju, brinjal gotsu and venpongal, green chillies thokku and tomato ketchup. All absolutely superb. Thanks for all fab recipes.

Really happy to see coconut rice. The last tip in adding one tsp raw coconut and coconut oil is new to us- shall surely do it next time.

The two accompaniments with coconut rice in the pic look appetising- may I ask what they are?

Also, pls do not forget my request of irupuli/morkozhambu with pineapple and irupuli/morkozhambu with vengayam. No hurry though.

love
    Vidya

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

No more single FB, only a list? - Good !

Dear Vidya,
    Lovely FBs.
    The coconut rice tips are my mom's - I love that flavour ! In my school days, everyday I used to demand this for my lunch dabba ! Try adding all the 3 - raw coconut, sugar & a dash of coc: oil - it is sheer heaven !!!
    The side dishes are avial & " bittergourd vathal" deep fried.
    My mom always made the combination of coc: rice & morekuzambu or avial. Those days coc: awareness was less in our food. Now that I use more of carrots in place of coconut, I mke the same combinations again, enjoyably !
    I do remember the 2 irupuli kuzambus, for sure. Will post them shortly, Vidya.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

pal kolukattai

Hello madam,
    Once I tasted Pal kolukattai in my friend's place and I loved the taste of it. she actually told me how to make it but I forgot to take it down.
    Pal kolukattai was something like rice balls cooked in jaggery.
    I am sure u must have known that recipe and also an expert in that too.
    So can u give me the pal kolukattai recipe or is it already posted under a different name if so pls. give its name.
    Thanks take ur own time if u have to post it fresh.
    bye.

5. Chitvish

Can you do a small favour ?

Dear Laxmi,
    I have drafted the recipe of pal kozakkattai long back to be posted. Since I have not taken a photo, the posting is getting postponed. I shall post the recipe tomorrow - why not you make it & send me a photo to be posted ? If you are hesitant, I shall post the recipe tomorrow & photo later.
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

6. Laxmi

Laxmi Administrator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

hello madam

Hello madam,
    No problem your recipe with or without photo is fine by me.
    All of us here at IL are waiting to have a look at your samayal kaimanam and I don't want to let them down by posting a photo of my version ( though following your recipe closely). It is better to have the snap of Pal kolukattai from the samayal arasi herself.
    But sure I wld give a FB as soon as I tried your recipe.
    bye.

7. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hello Chitra ma n All,

Was wondering whether I could get recipe/s using "cantaloupe" ( muskmelon).....no hurry.

Warm regards,
    Jay

8. Kute Kiddo

Kute Kiddo New IL'ite

Some more Anbu thollai

Hello dear Chithra,

As usual, kindly answer the foll. queries ; no hurry, take your time.

1] Can we make anyother dish with oats other than upma /soup ? Can we make oats dosai or idli by adding to the batter ? Or oats chapathi ?

2] What is health benefit of bay leaf ? Can we make any podi with it -- how to use it other than for pulao seasoning ?

3] I regularly make salad using the standard cucumber, onion, tomato base. Or if I get purple cabbage, add that also with lettuce leaves. Feeling terribly bored with same taste, even hubby tells he's not a cow to eat ilai, thazhai all the time :oops: .....Can you give some more salad ideas for daily meals ; like which combo of veggies will taste good etc. ? How to add more variety , taste to bland salads ?

4] Some relatives are coming to stay for 3 weeks --- what dishes can I prepare and refrigerate , so that I'm not stuck in kitchen throughout ? Of course, dosa / idli batter will always be there. Anything else for b'fast, some snack items, etc. ? Any other tips you can share on how to plan the day / maximise the time usage, 'cos I have to accompany them for their shopping trip also -- even thinking of the hurry - burry :shock: makes me anxious ?? Hope you can help with your extremely valuable / practical advice .

5]How to powder jaggery with min. mess ? I usually used to keep it between newspaper sheet & pound with a pestle or mathu ; but the paper tears & jaggery sticks to paper bits -- how to store it for some weeks at least, :confused: in fridge ??

Many thanks,

Last edited: Jun 4, 2006
  9. Chitvish

I am starting to " essay write" !

Dear Revathy,
    As far as I know, bay leaf is used only for flavouring.
    My husband also used to tell me that I am making him feel like a rabbit, whenever I made even carrot salad. But that is all true, we can't totally deny.
    I have given a few salads,which please go through. Since there was never a " great " FB, I stopped posting salads. I have given a few salad dressings also. You can use any combination as per your taste.
    I always grate vellam in a carrot grater or chop with knife.
    Oats - besides upma, morkali can be made. Just add equal volume of a mixture of sour buttermilk + water. Usual method. Add some to dosa batter & make oothappam.
    For guests: make as many snacks as time permits & stock. Chop all English vegetables, steam & stock in the fridge to be used for upma, veg cream for bread etc. Aappa mavu can br frozen for 2 weeks. Make 2,3 gravies from the tips on gravies. Either plain cooked vegs or koftas can be made & added. Arisi upma kurunai can be kept ready. Adai mavu can be stocked easily for a week.
    Go through the index in detail - ideas will strike you !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

10. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

dear chithra,

Could you please tell me which chutney or powder is suitable to take with IDLI?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.