North Indian and Gujarati dishes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by cookingfun, Aug 12, 2005.

1. cookingfun

cookingfun New IL'ite

Hello All,

Whenever I prepare ROTI they turned hard in like 5-10 minutes no matter how I save them in box or in cloth..eitherway

My Q. is
    1. How to make them soft
    2. If I prepare for next day use how to keep them stored soft

Let me also add..I tried prepairing dough with milk as well as with hot water..Same Result..

Pls. help

2. sonu

sonu New IL'ite

Soft Rotis

Hello Cookingfun,

This is what I do for making soft rotis and it comes out well.

When you knead the dough, mix 2 tspn of butter or desi ghee with atta flour along with salt and lukewarm water. Make the dough soft and not very tight.

When you roll the rotis don't make it too thin, they will turn out to become crisp like papads. Also, don't make it very thick so that it turns hard. You need to feel the rotis soft in the centre and thinner at the ends.

To store them for next day, immediately on making the rotis, when the heat is bearable, roll them tight in a aluminium foil. It helps to retain the moisture and will not become hard.

3. indran

indran New IL'ite

making soft roties

dear ,

while heating roties, bfore turning them sprinkle little water.repeat it for the otherside also.the chapathis will remain soft.u can use it nextday also

4. rohini

rohini New IL'ite

Add curd and knead the dough

If you want the chapatti to be soft, mix the flour with curd and little salt. Knead the dough well and keep aside for 1 hour and do chapatti. Mixing the flour many times always gives you soft chapattis.

5. vinu

vinu Junior IL'ite

Some more tips for soft rotis...

Some more tips while kneading dough...

* Knead the dough well and once you finish kneading, if you press the dough with finger it should bounce back.You shouldn't notice any cracks at all :(

* After kneading, touch the dough with a spoon of oil, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.

* Before making balls out of the dough, once again knead the dough for a minute or so if it seems to be dry.

* While rolling out the chapathis don't use too much of flour for dusting.If possible use few drops of oil for rolling instead of flour.Roll them into medium thickness.

Hope these tips help in making soft rotis...Good luck!

2 people like this.
  6. LaksV

LaksV New IL'ite

Hotel-style Mutter Paneer

Hi,
    Can anyone post the recipe for hotel-style Mutter Paneer, like the ones we get in India. I am craving to have it!!

Thanks,
    L

7. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Revathi's version of Mutter-Paneer

Hi Laks,

I'm posting Revathi's version of Mutter Paneer recipe that I got from her "30 days series of Kurma varieties". I have tried this many times and everytime I will be left with only a small portion for taste! :tongue

Ingredients:
    Peas - 1 cup, Paneer - 200gms, Big onion - 3, Tomatoes - 4, Ginger-Garlic paste - 1 tbspn, Cashewnut paste - 2 tbspn, Chilli powder - 2 tbspn, Coriander powder - 1 tbspn, Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbspn, Jeera powder - 1 tbspn, Garam Masala powder - 1/2 tbspn, oil - 2 tbspn, ghee - 1tbspn, salt for taste.

Cooking method:

Fry the paneer cubes separately in oil.

Boil the peas separately adding some salt, if you are using fresh or dried ones. If you are using frozen peas, you can add it directly to the gravy.

Pour the oil and ghee in a kadai and heat it. Fry the onions in it till it becomes translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, dhaniya powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and saute till everything mixes well and the raw smell goes.

Now, add the fried paneer cubes and peas along with the cashewnut paste. Add 1/4 cup of water, jeera powder and garam masala powder and mix well. Allow it to boil till it thickens.

Tasty mutter paneer is ready! Enjoy cooking and having it!

1 person likes this.
  8. LaksV

LaksV New IL'ite

Thanks

Hi Rathi,
    Thanks a lot!

Bye
    L

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  9. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Try and let me know!

Sure, Laks.

Try and let me know how it came out and whether you like it.
    The secret for taste in this gravy is the 'cahsew' paste!

10. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

soft rotis r best done in non stick

hai folks,
    i know i am not adding much to all that had been said...if curd not available a little hot milk also help while mixing just add the milk along with salt and then add the oil 2 tbs or according to the mass of the dough ..add water and knead well, the roti depends on the kneading so switch on the music and work into it until u feel it is damn soft in hand....now leave it covered for sometime.....now put the non stik and roll out with ur left hand moving more and the right hand holding the roti in place the ratio like left hand going up and the right hand coming down u need to press the left while going up and press down right to coming down.with a little atta extra sprinkled over and u get a even chapathi to get it really round u need to roll the ball before starting on the chapathi...now make it medium and not too thin or thik..keep a dry towel ready...put the chapathi on the non stik ,as u know non stik always worked with gas in sim and not high...so sometime to heat up so the first chapathi take longer....once a white hue comes turn over and when both sides the colour is changing dont wait for the brown spots to come but before ,use ur towel to even out all sides press on them evenly and once it puffs immediately take it off...this will remain for a long time soft...for the slim lot u could add a drop of ghee ...drop i said....now spread it with the back of spoon.and fold it or roll it in silver foil for ur kids.....hope been of help...sunkan