1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Margazhi Maha Utsavam is here :-)

Discussion in 'TV' started by peartree, Dec 2, 2010.

1. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

29 more minutes, you guys! Aack! I have to go change the channel from Brainy Baby that baby is watching and turn to 792 JayaTV. Am running....Lets all catch up later to discuss!

2. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Well... I should have known!!! It was neither Nityashree nor Abhishek Raghuram nor Malladi Bros.

It was a nadaswaram recital by the Thirukovilur Brothers. I could not recognize the first song. But the second was Brocheva revarura - Khamas followed by okkapari kokkapari - Karaharapriya, Kaliyuga varadhan - Brindavana saranga and finally kurai onrum illai - Ragamalika!

Looking forward to hearing Malladi Brothers tomorrow! :) I hate the too many breaks in between :rant:rant

3. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear Peartree,
    Thanks a lot.
    Yes even I love their abhangs very much.
    I wish I attend all the kutcheries.
    Because of work, I will not be able to attend.
    On dec 25th, jan 1st I will attend for the whole day.

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

The Nadaswaram was not bad per se...just old. I wish they had attempted some new songs.

Today was the Malladi Brothers. I have it recorded and saw the first three but baby has been uncooperative, screaming and having a fit :| and so I am waiting.... for his bedtime before I can watch the rest.
    However here is what I have heard so far:
    Dudukugala in Goule - fast paced and decent.
    Diskhidar's Manasa Guru Guha in AnandBhairavi - I haven't heard the Anananda Bhairavi song before and or I simply don't remember it and so I enjoyed it very much.
    Purandara Dasa's Anthakara Dhootarika in Baghyashree - The preceding shlokam from Mukundamala was beautiful.

I don't know if I am imagining it but every once in a while the shruti was off and the brothers were no completely in-sync. This is my very first experience of the bros and so...I was not all that impressed. The explanations and answers to questions were not really on point either.

Tatvam asi was kollapannified.
    Tat Tvam Asi is easily translated to That thou art. From the Chandoghya Upanishad, this Mahavakyam is the second in the list of four Mahavakyas. It signifies the relationship between the individual and the divinity.

Anyways... back after listening to the rest of the katcheri. Ciao.

5. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear all,
    Today I attended Ranjani Gayathri's concert at Parthasarathy Swami Sabha.
    First acoustics was not all that good. After Ranjani raga Varnam, rasikas from the last got up and informed them.Immediately it was rectified.
    Ragam Thanam Pallavi in Charukesi was excellent.
    They sang Bhairavi, Surutti, Durga(Abhang).They announced each and every song along with the composer's name, thala , Raaga.
    I throughly enjoyed the concert.

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

6. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

7. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

We have Jaya connection,as said by other ILites,mmu is excellent and were are virtually taken to the auditorium.wonderful effort .........

8. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear Meena ma'am,
    Thanks for givning the wonderful links.
    Listening to Priya sisters right now.

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

9. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

On Jaya TV MMU:

Nithyashree's concert was terrible. She was not in shruti the entire time. She sang Gam Ganapathe in Hamsadhwani, Guruvarulum in Aabhogi, Shree Ganapthynee in Saurashtram, Ganapathe Mahamathe in Kalyani and a few others that I forgot to jot down. Everything was below average just because of the shruti. Her answers to the questions were very good though - philosophical and thoughtprovoking.

Abhishek was awesome! For a youngster, his Bhava was tangible. He sang Saadhinchane - Aarabhi, Krishnal Kalaye by Marayana Theerthar in Mukhari, A meera Bhajan in Deepash, Thirupavai and Santhanagopala Krishnan in Khamaas, Taye Yashodha in Thodi, Krishna nee begane in Yaman Kalyani.

Haripriya Shanmugapriya were good. They sang Mokshamugalada in Saaramati and then Venkatesha in Hindolam. I have recorded everything else and so must watch to see what else.

I was out of town for a whole week and so all the concerts are sitting in my DVR and I'll watch them tonight and come back tomorrow for a full review.

Paging PT. PT? Wazzup???

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

DNM

I am here!!! Sorry for the dormant participation. Was away in CA visiting my little niece :) I caught almost all of the MMU concerts. And as you said, Nityashree was indeed terrible and Unni was a disappointment too! I don't know why he was mumbling through the entire concert. I could hardly make out the sahityam.

I thought Vijay Siva, Sanjay and Ranjani Gayatri were the best among the lot. In any case, MMU seemed like a disappointment this time. I thought it was a lot better the previous years.